Aft balcony on Sky

My husband and I are booked on a Norwegian Fjord and Iceland cruise on the Sky Princess in June 2024. We currently have a D4 Premium balcony booked on the Starboard side (D715). I recently learned that there is a smoking area just 2 decks below, so I would like to move to either the port side or aft. There are several port side cabins available in this cabin class and there are 2 aft cabins, D730 and D731. We have had an aft cabin before and really liked it, but I am concerned that there is a white blank space between these two cabins. Does anyone have any experience in these cabins on any of the Royal class ships and know what this space is? Perhaps a crew stairway or storage room? Is it noisy? Also, I know that the aft balconies are partially covered on this deck. Has soot been a problem? I would appreciate any thoughts you may have and whether you suggest I go for one of these aft balcony or stick to the port side, which I know has the same size cabin and deep balcony. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck Cruiser said:

2 aft cabins, D730 and D731.

We have been on the Sky, but in neither of those cabins.  We have been in M727 and M726 on both the Regal and Royal.  On the inside, the white space was the steward's closet.  On the out side the area was split between the two cabins as balcony space.  These two cabins don't exist on Sky, as that's where the Wake View Pool is.  Find a picture of the aft end of Sky to see if there is anything there.

I see you were on the Nordic Empress, we were on her to ring in the new Millenium.  What great memories.

Edited by KreinKrunker

We were in D730 in March for a TA and loved it!  The space is a crew area  but I think it's more for cart storage than anything else.  Totally quiet back there...never heard a sound the entire cruise.   Would definitely book it again!

We were in D730 on Sky Princess a couple weeks ago for a Norway/Iceland cruise.  Loved it!  We originally reserved an obstructed balcony, but decided to splurge and rebooked into D730.  I’m so glad we did.  Very quite cabin.  Wonderful panoramic views of the fjords!!!!  Very minor soot while leaving one port.  I wouldn’t have noticed it had it not got in my drink.  It was really too cold to spend a lot of time out there on most days in early-mid June.  I suppose in a warmer destination the soot might be more annoying because we would have been out there for longer times.  Regardless, The views out weighed the inconvenience of minor soot for Norwegian fjord cruising!!  As for the area between D730 & 731…It is some type of crew area, but I never saw or heard anyone going in that room.  There is a small sink next to the door and I never saw anyone use it either.  If cost was not an issue, I’d pick this cabin again in a heartbeat.

Thanks to all of you! This was all very helpful. I think I will go for the aft cabin. I was just a little wary because, on one of our past cruises, we were right next to one of these service areas and it was where the steward very noisily cleaned up all the room service dishes at all hours. I will keep my fingers crossed that it won’t happen again. Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

• 8 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 11:37 PM, TN-Mountains said:

We were in D730 on Sky Princess a couple weeks ago for a Norway/Iceland cruise.  Loved it!  We originally reserved an obstructed balcony, but decided to splurge and rebooked into D730.  I’m so glad we did.  Very quite cabin.  Wonderful panoramic views of the fjords!!!!  Very minor soot while leaving one port.  I wouldn’t have noticed it had it not got in my drink.  It was really too cold to spend a lot of time out there on most days in early-mid June.  I suppose in a warmer destination the soot might be more annoying because we would have been out there for longer times.  Regardless, The views out weighed the inconvenience of minor soot for Norwegian fjord cruising!!  As for the area between D730 & 731…It is some type of crew area, but I never saw or heard anyone going in that room.  There is a small sink next to the door and I never saw anyone use it either.  If cost was not an issue, I’d pick this cabin again in a heartbeat.

Hello just found this old post of your. I’m hoping you can give me some info about the view from your aft balcony as your ship approached and left Iceland? I’m going to Iceland this summer and booked an aft balcony but it was at a premium price and I’m wondering if a regular balcony on either side of the ship would be just as good. I can still change and get my money back, if the upgrade isn’t worth it for Iceland, since it doesn’t go to the fjords in Norway 

On 3/20/2024 at 1:42 PM, dleahy4444 said:

Hello just found this old post of your. I’m hoping you can give me some info about the view from your aft balcony as your ship approached and left Iceland? I’m going to Iceland this summer and booked an aft balcony but it was at a premium price and I’m wondering if a regular balcony on either side of the ship would be just as good. I can still change and get my money back, if the upgrade isn’t worth it for Iceland, since it doesn’t go to the fjords in Norway 

My initial thought was you should keep the aft balcony, but I went back through all my photos of Iceland and it looks like I only have one or two from the balcony.  (I have a ton in Norway!)  Most of my photos of Iceland were taken while on shore.  If it is a significant savings I would probably opt for the regular balcony and use the extra money to splurge on shore excursions. If the costs are similar, I'd keep the aft facing balcony in a heartbeat!     

We had D731 a couple of years ago - loved it.  Your normal premium deluxe balcony - but no reason for anyone to be walking by your cabin at all so very quiet.  And the best part was watching the pier runners from the balcony.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:42 AM, dleahy4444 said:

We were in D729 for Norway and absolutely loved it.  If I can afford them, I always scoop up an aft balcony!  

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 1:15 PM, TN-Mountains said:

My initial thought was you should keep the aft balcony, but I went back through all my photos of Iceland and it looks like I only have one or two from the balcony.  (I have a ton in Norway!)  Most of my photos of Iceland were taken while on shore.  If it is a significant savings I would probably opt for the regular balcony and use the extra money to splurge on shore excursions. If the costs are similar, I'd keep the aft facing balcony in a heartbeat!     

Thank you. Since my original post, I cancelled the Iceland cruise in favor of “best of Scandinavia” cruise as it offered more port days to more cities. I still want to go to Iceland in the future, so will keep your advice in mind!