Has anyone stay in an aft balcony cabin during a South America/Antarctica cruise?

sandrang

We are planning to stay in a balcony cabin for our coming S America/Antarctica cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. We were given a choice of a balcony cabin (about mid ship) and an aft balcony cabin (end of ship). Wondering if anyone has any experience taking on the aft balcony cabin for a similar cruise? Will it be very bumpy as we cross the Drake passage or throughout the cruise? I was told the view would be spectacular as you can see 270 degree of view and it is usually quite quiet area of the ship. If given a choice, what would you choose?

thanks

Sandra 

On 6/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, sandrang said:

We are planning to stay in a balcony cabin for our coming S America/Antarctica cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. We were given a choice of a balcony cabin (about mid ship) and an aft balcony cabin (end of ship). Wondering if anyone has any experience taking on the aft balcony cabin for a similar cruise? Will it be very bumpy as we cross the Drake passage or throughout the cruise? I was told the view would be spectacular as you can see 270 degree of view and it is usually quite quiet area of the ship. If given a choice, what would you choose?

thanks

Sandra 

Drake Passage can be as smooth as a lake or the roughest seas you'll ever be in. No way to tell.

We've stayed in aft cabins in the Mediterranean and loved it. The view, especially of the sailaways are incredible, but we've been in rough seas in them and they do have a lot of motion. If you are prone to motion sickness I would not take the chance of crossing the Drake in bad weather in one. Anywhere else and I would always choose an aft cabin.

We did a pre Covid South America cruise around Cape Horn and were very fortunate that although quite chilly, our weather wasn’t rough. We were in a mid ship balcony..felt no movement.

This year we cruised in an Aft Balcony from Santiago to LA. The aft balcony was a good cabin in so much as it was in a very quiet area with little passing footfall. Even though the temperature was in the 30s, we felt the ship moving much more. The views were amazing, the balcony not as large as I had anticipated.

My husband found no problem walking all the way aft, but since I was in the middle of a ‘flare’ of an autoimmune disease, I found the walk quite long. He would like to book an aft cabin again, I am not so sure.

Dear Reina,

Have you (or folks you know) sailed south from LA to Santiago?

We sail Dec 1, Sapphire Princess Los Angeles south one-way to Santiago

Should we be worried to sail south against the Peru Current (Humboldt Current)?

It flows north up the Pacific coast of Chile and Peru from Antartica toward the Equator. 

South of the Equator, we have 9 sea days/sailing days!

Our cruise was from Santiago to Buenos Aires, so I’m afraid I can’t help with the itinerary you are asking about…sorry.  

We sailed in January and our ports were  Puerto Montt, Chilean Fiords, Scenic cruising, Punta Arenas, Montevideo, Ushuaia, Falkland Islands..not in that order but that’s all I remember.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in an aft family balcony for S. America/Antarctica in early 2023 on Celebrity Infinity. We regretted to have spent extra $2300 for an aft balcony because we naively expected to have views on 'both sides', especially for Antarctica. We started the Antarctica day in the room but moved up deck because we couldn't take unobstructed photos of the beautiful scenery from balcony due to cabins on both sides of us and the balconies below us. From aft, the straight ahead view is both sides but we cannot see what's ahead like from a side balcony. Cape Horn was smooth but crossing Drake was a little bit rocky. We did not feel the aft location affected the level of bumpiness, no extra noise that bothered us. During the long cruise, we did not use the balcony as much as we would have liked to because weather was either humid hot or very cold and windy. 

• Thanks 1