Extra tip for our waiter and his assistant

23 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We go to Guest Services and pick up a few of the tip envelopes to place our extra tip in and then hand it to them on the last evening.  I always take the time to write a note on the back of each envelope thanking them for making our cruise so wonderful.

I also take a picture of the nameplate on the table so I make sure I have the correct spelling for the survey.  If I have others who have made my cruise great I will take a picture of their name tag…..

We do the same!😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

It seems to me that tipping at the end is a nice way to give a special "Thank You" to someone who went out of their way during the cruise.  But if you generously tip someone at the beginning of the cruise, someone that you know you'll see over and over again (such as a room attendant, waiter, dining room manager, or bartender), you're almost guaranteeing that they will go out of their way for you on the cruise.

There's always a chance, of course, that they'll take your money and not do anything special, but it has been my experience that if you tip at the beginning, you'll get great service throughout.  And you can always give a little something extra at the end as well.

Try it at a bar the next time you go out.  Usually the bartender will remember you and you'll jump ahead of others when ordering that next round of drinks.

More than once when we did that we never saw them again for various reasons. This happened to our room steward twice and servers a couple of times.  So now we wait until the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

More than once when we did that we never saw them again for various reasons. This happened to our room steward twice and servers a couple of times.  So now we wait until the end.

That certainly is the risk.

15 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

That certainly is the risk.

That's one reason I leave a cash tip at the end of the second or subsequent visit and not the first. Even if I don't see that crew member again, at least they will be rewarded for consistently good service. It is rare but some crew seem more motivated on the first day or two of the cruise and then slack off as the week wears on for them. But it's impossible to make generalizations so I just play it by ear.

Many,many years ago my wife and I were on a cruise .We had something called a camera and took many pictures in the first port we were in.

I accidentally dropped the camera and it no longer functioned.I was telling this to my table mates at dinner.Apparently our Waiter heard the discussion because on the last night of the cruise he gave me a camera.He took pictures at every port that he thought I would like and gave me the camera.I offered him $ but he refused to take it.

I tipped him with all the money I had .Hopefully he did not have to split it with his co-workers.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 12:43 PM, Pratique said:

We do the same but I give an extra cash tip on the second visit with the same server or bartender. If we have a great server the first time then we ask to have him/her again on all subsequent visits. Sometimes the maître d will try and talk us out of it by saying that particular server is busy (worried we may not get great service) but by the second visit the server is familiar with us so it's an easy table to handle and it always seems to work out fine for everyone.

I wouldn't want to serve you a 2nd time if you didn't tip the 1st time. Convoluted.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I wouldn't want to serve you a 2nd time if you didn't tip the 1st time. Convoluted.

Please note the phrase "extra cash tip" before you pass further judgment.

18 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Please note the phrase "extra cash tip" before you pass further judgment.

Yep, that was the subject. But it's still ridiculous to wait until the 2nd time someone gives you great service to tip... cash, check or money order! 💰 I would pass you off to the new guy and move on to offer great service to another customer in the hopes that they appreciate the service from the 1st time by tipping "extra." (This could also be the reason that the headwaiter doesn't want to give you that great server again when it is noticed that you do not tip "extra" for great service.)

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Yep, that was the subject. But it's still ridiculous to wait until the 2nd time someone gives you great service to tip... cash, check or money order! 💰 I would pass you off to the new guy and move on to offer great service to another customer in the hopes that they appreciate the service from the 1st time by tipping "extra." (This could also be the reason that the headwaiter doesn't want to give you that great server again when it is noticed that you do not tip "extra" for great service.)

Give me a break. There are many ways to tip including prepaid grats and adding grats to the check. I didn't say we didn't tip. You came up with that one on your own.

BTW, who tips with checks and money orders?

Edited by Pratique

16 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Give me a break. There are many ways to tip including prepaid grats and adding grats to the check. I didn't say we didn't tip. You came up with that one on your own.

BTW, who tips with checks and money orders?

That checks/mo idea was a joke! Just as I had hoped you saying that you tip the 2nd time was. The strategy makes no sense. I understand that you tip... you said that. I never said you did not. You misread.

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

That checks/mo idea was a joke! Just as I had hoped you saying that you tip the 2nd time was. The strategy makes no sense. I understand that you tip... you said that. I never said you did not. You misread.

You seem to be forgetting the part where (unless removing the auto Grats ) Everyone is tipping the first time around !

This is where the system is skewed for the worse ! 

So maybe you are suggesting remove the Auto grats and tip appropriately ?!

Not what I am looking to do .

Cheers ...And (?)

12 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

You seem to be forgetting the part where (unless removing the auto Grats ) Everyone is tipping the first time around !

This is where the system is skewed for the worse ! 

So maybe you are suggesting remove the Auto grats and tip appropriately ?!

Not what I am looking to do .

Cheers ...And (?)

Not at all. The 2nd time tipper clearly stated extra cash tip. That is understood. Likewise on the 2nd encounter auto tips + he is now going to tip extra cash if still great service. That is just silly!

Auto tips are the bare minimum to my way of thinking. So reward great service with extra every time! What if its a specialty restaurant and you are not going back? This guy says "no extra tip unless I see you again." So that server gets no extra tip even if service is great Only Because its the 1st encounter. Think it through and its ludicrous. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Not at all. The 2nd time tipper clearly stated extra cash tip. That is understood. Likewise on the 2nd encounter auto tips + he is now going to tip extra cash if still great service. That is just silly!

Auto tips are the bare minimum to my way of thinking. So reward great service with extra every time! What if its a specialty restaurant and you are not going back? This guy says "no extra tip unless I see you again." So that server gets no extra tip even if service is great Only Because its the 1st encounter. Think it through and its ludicrous. 

No different than all of the folks who wait until the last day of the cruise to hand out cash tips to their favorite staff. Assuming you see them on the last day.

PS We always leave a tip either charged to our account or cash or both. So your assumptions are wrong.

Edited by Pratique

On 6/30/2023 at 2:42 PM, Rothko1 said:

It seems to me that tipping at the end is a nice way to give a special "Thank You" to someone who went out of their way during the cruise.  But if you generously tip someone at the beginning of the cruise, someone that you know you'll see over and over again (such as a room attendant, waiter, dining room manager, or bartender), you're almost guaranteeing that they will go out of their way for you on the cruise.

There's always a chance, of course, that they'll take your money and not do anything special, but it has been my experience that if you tip at the beginning, you'll get great service throughout.  And you can always give a little something extra at the end as well.

Try it at a bar the next time you go out.  Usually the bartender will remember you and you'll jump ahead of others when ordering that next round of drinks.

This is exactly right. Works in specialty restaurants and bars and sometimes in MDR. And, beyond jumping ahead you will probably get a long pour and or a free drink. In specialty, tip good and the wine glass stays full without a charge. Just be nice!

11 minutes ago, Pratique said:

No different than all of the folks who wait until the last day of the cruise to hand out cash tips to their favorite staff. Assuming you see them on the last day.

PS We always leave a tip either charged to our account or cash or both. So your assumptions are wrong.

I made no assumptions about your tipping habits. Ever! I only questioned your statement: "that's why I wait until the 2nd encounter to tip extra..." 

8 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I made no assumptions about your tipping habits. Ever! I only questioned your statement: "that's why I wait until the 2nd encounter to tip extra..." 

You sure did. But keep doubling down there buddy.

12 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I made no assumptions about your tipping habits. Ever! I only questioned your statement: "that's why I wait until the 2nd encounter to tip extra cash..." 

Fixed it for you.

Its too late for me now, but i’m glad i know how this works now. I was seated in a different section for mtd my last day and wasn’t sure how to give the money to my previous wait staff. Now i know. What is the average tip? I tipped my room staff 12.00, not sure if that was enough. I was solo.

20 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I feel like royal caribbean could do a better job of explaining you could get envelopes.

They used to leave them in your cabin but now it seems like you have to ask for them. Like someone said earlier, folded cash is easier to slip in a pocket, so we avoid the envelopes. We want to be sure that particular server benefits and is not asked to hand over an envelope to share with others. The amount is whatever you are comfortable giving. 

4 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

This is exactly right. Works in specialty restaurants and bars and sometimes in MDR. And, beyond jumping ahead you will probably get a long pour and or a free drink. In specialty, tip good and the wine glass stays full without a charge. Just be nice!

Yup.  

A long time ago there was a great article about how a reporter in New York tried walking into the top restaurants in the city without reservations and would just palm a tip to the host when asking for a table.  Almost inevitably, a table would miraculously open up for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

Yup.  

A long time ago there was a great article about how a reporter in New York tried walking into the top restaurants in the city without reservations and would just palm a tip to the host when asking for a table.  Almost inevitably, a table would miraculously open up for him.

Has worked for us on ships, Vegas, and any crowded venues. People say, I can't get the time I want in specialty restaurants. Those empty tables are worth a nice $10 bill.

On 6/29/2023 at 7:58 PM, GTO-Girl said:

We go to Guest Services and pick up a few of the tip envelopes to place our extra tip in and then hand it to them on the last evening.  I always take the time to write a note on the back of each envelope thanking them for making our cruise so wonderful.

I also take a picture of the nameplate on the table so I make sure I have the correct spelling for the survey.  If I have others who have made my cruise great I will take a picture of their name tag…..

That's pretty much what we do but like the idea of writing a note about the great job they have done.  We've almost always had great service on RCI.  

• Like 2

Just what we need -- another tipping thread.

First tip to cabin steward is when cabin is set up to my liking (ice, beds split, bath mat in front of balcony door, etc).  First tip to waiters is second evening -- (olive oil and dipping spices for bread, decaf coffee with heavy cream, extra vegies, suggestion of off-menu entrée).  On a cruise where these teams are very good, I'll cancel grats, and hand out folding money -- no envelopes please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1