Transfer to Heathrow and other questions

We will be staying in a hotel in Westminster following a cruise. 

What would be the best way to travel to Heathrow with luggage? 

How early should we arrive at Heathrow for an international flight? (11:15 in the morning) 

Thank you for your help. 

Where in Westminster? The easy options could vary depending on how close you are to the Tube, how willing you are to wrestle your bags, and the day of the week. If you can make an easy transfer to the Elizabeth Line by Tube, that's probably the most economical and pretty fast (I'll report back in 10 days, but I'm not going to Westminster). Not sure about elevators or cross platform changes on that route, which is a key consideration.

Beyond that, easiest is probably to get the hotel to call a car. Could be the most expensive, depending on who they use About the same level of ease, but probably less expensive is to book your own car service (I think we used Blackfriars on our last trip. There are plenty of others recommended on this board.)

And there's always a London black cab. Their real draw back is they're on the meter if traffic is bad. If this is an 11:15 Sunday flight, probably not a big issue. If it's an 11:15 Monday flight, there could be (will be?) traffic, but hopefully most of it's into London.

Taking a cab from Westminster to Paddington and the Heathrow Express to the airport is an option. Unless traffic is horrible from London to Heathrow, it's may take longer and be more expensive than just using a car service all the way. It depends...

I personally like to be at Heathrow 3 hours (and sometimes a little more) before a US bound flight. That's what's recommended on Heathrow's web page. Airline status and/or First Class/Business Class can speed things a bit, but if you have those, the clubs are nice anyway.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

If you can make an easy transfer to the Elizabeth Line by Tube, that's probably the most economical and pretty fast ...

No. If you arrive at Heathrow by the Elizabeth Line, you will have to pay the Elizabeth Line premium (about £7 per person, IIRC). Sticking to the Tube is significantly cheaper.

The most economical way is probably to take the bus. But I really don't recommend this with luggage, or for a central London to Heathrow journey, unless there really is no alternative.

Assuming your hotel is close to Westminster tube station, Heathrow by tube with luggage is actually reasonably simple as there are elevators at both ends and a step-free, cross platform interchange between the District & Piccadilly lines at Barons Court. 

That’s the cheapest viable way and should take about an hour.

Easiest would obviously be a taxi, Uber or private transfer but these days you’re looking at between £50 & £100 for that, and are at the mercy of London traffic. It could easily take an hour, maybe more, maybe less.

@spirit rev if you tell us which hotel you’re staying at we can give you more accurate advice.

Edited by gumshoe958

7 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

@spirit rev if you tell us which hotel you’re staying at we can give you more accurate advice.

We are flying on a Saturday. 

Our hotel is the Hilton Curio on John Islip Street 

Thanks for your knowledgeable assistance.

My travel partner is very  good understanding the NYC subway maps so  should have no issues understanding the London Tube maps if my memory of them is correct. 

3 minutes ago, spirit rev said:

We are flying on a Saturday. 

Our hotel is the Hilton Curio on John Islip Street 

Thanks for your knowledgeable assistance.

My travel partner is very  good understanding the NYC subway maps so  should have no issues understanding the London Tube maps if my memory of them is correct. 

Ok, that’s about a 15 minute walk to Westminster tube station. It’s located in the heart of London’s government district so at that time on a Saturday morning it should be very quiet.

Therefore your best options (from lowest to highest in price) are probably:

* Tube, as above (District line from Westminster to Barons Court then Piccadilly line to Heathrow)

* Taxi to Victoria Coach Station, then National Express coach to Heathrow (book in advance)

* Taxi to Paddington station, then Elizabeth line or Heathrow Express train

* Taxi, Uber or private transfer all the way

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

No. If you arrive at Heathrow by the Elizabeth Line, you will have to pay the Elizabeth Line premium (about £7 per person, IIRC). Sticking to the Tube is significantly cheaper.

The most economical way is probably to take the bus. But I really don't recommend this with luggage, or for a central London to Heathrow journey, unless there really is no alternative.

That's true, and a fair criticism. We're doing this for the first time this weekend, but we're going to Grosvenor Square and our hotel looks to be a shorter walk than getting from our arrival gate to the Elizabeth Line at Heathrow! And the Elizabeth Line is air conditioned...

It's £7.70 I believe. £5.60 by Tube and £13.30 by Elizabeth Line.

I am the first to express love for the Piccadilly line and the Underground in general.  Sheesh on my last trip to London I went to certain stations just to photograph special features.

The Elizabeth Line from Heathrow is a game changer for me.  It is comfortable and more spacious than the Pic and after 10 hour overnight flights,very welcome.  The core station halls are spacious and step free (elevators)  

I have never considered the money difference between the Pic and the Elizabeth Line to be a decision maker.  That said, I dont stay in central London either, I am just as comfortable in the Zone 2 area recently Greenwich

For our original poster I would go with a cab to any Elizabeth Line station and onward.  Your hotel, even though near the great Tate Gallery, is pretty inconvenient to tube stations.

I would allow 3 hours prior to flight.  I departed LHR in February on a weekend day and it seemed like getting thru check in and security took far longer than usual and this was with a premium ticket and screening.