New to Holland - is there escargot served every night?

skoeper

We are looking at Holland Amsterdam and wondering if they are like Celebrity with escargot on the menu every night in the MDR.   My only chance to get escargot, so we usually stick with Celebrity but......willing to try out Holland if they do the same thing!    Anyone know if they do?

18 minutes ago, skoeper said:

We are looking at Holland Amsterdam and wondering if they are like Celebrity with escargot on the menu every night in the MDR.   My only chance to get escargot, so we usually stick with Celebrity but......willing to try out Holland if they do the same thing!    Anyone know if they do?

No.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Well, the cruise line is Holland America. The ship is Nieuw Amsterdam. 

Gosh, that's a lot to type.   Ok, Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam 🙂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Might want to stick with Celebrity - they deliver what you expect and want. Why switch?

Excellent point!   We are having to make a decision of a forward or an aft (neither which we want) on a Celebrity for the dates we are free vs a better located cabin on another cruiseline for that timeframe.  First world problem, I know!   So now trying to compare other cruiselines we haven't been on.     Still love Celebrity the best!

5 minutes ago, skoeper said:

Excellent point!   We are having to make a decision of a forward or an aft (neither which we want) on a Celebrity for the dates we are free vs a better located cabin on another cruiseline for that timeframe.  First world problem, I know!   So now trying to compare other cruiselines we haven't been on.     Still love Celebrity the best!

How long is the cruise - virtually anything can be survived on a short cruise, or new routines and exceptions adapted to on longer ones after exploring what is new and different on another' brand's offerings.

My sister would always ask for "fried garlic" every night on a HAL cruise because she liked to add this to every dish (not quite escargot, but honestly are the little bits of snails not just a good excuse to enjoy savory garlic and butter?) They were happy to accommodate her.  

One thing a lot of us like about HAL ships is the very accommodating nature of  the main dining room staff to those small preferences. Plus they also have full menu Indian items available too, by request if you want more menu variety. Hope you try fixed dining so your dining stewards can get to know your dining preferences best. Nieuw Amsterdam has a very nice range of dining options.

• Like 2

If you get Club Orange ($25/day on trips 13 days or less, $15/day on trips more than 13 days), chances are decent you will get a dedicated waiter in the MDR and can special order escargot a day in advance. Club Orange will also allow you to upgrade at no additional cost to the highest class of your cabin category (for example, the highest veranda if your booking is veranda). So you can book the cheapest balcony and choose the best balcony of your choice (not suite) for your upgrade.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

If you get Club Orange ($25/day on trips 13 days or less, $15/day on trips more than 13 days), chances are decent you will get a dedicated waiter in the MDR and can special order escargot a day in advance. Club Orange will also allow you to upgrade at no additional cost to the highest class of your cabin category (for example, the highest veranda if your booking is veranda). So you can book the cheapest balcony and choose the best balcony of your choice (not suite) for your upgrade.

I don’t know that I’d say chances are decent.  Personally I think there is a chance.  If someone is hinging picking a cruise line on escargot I’d rather go on the side of caution.  I find it’s really not all that easy to get every special request honoured.  That said I rarely do it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skoeper said:

We have Whole Foods where I  live and you can get escargot every day for 99 cents per. If you are willing to try Holland America because they might serve it every day, don't bother. They don't. But they have really good food and your choices are excellent! Plus, you might have fun trying a different line. Mixing it up and all that. 

• Like 1

I’m a good Maritimer and do a lot of great fish and shell fish and adore escargots.  In fact, on escargots night, I confess to ordering  two  of them on occasion but for me…

escargot every night?  No can do.  Love it but it’s a treat.  I make it at home as well but it’s an occasional thing - not every day.  Especially if you are absorbing all that butter in your bread/baguette/whatever.  I probably have more lobster at home than escargot 😉 

But they are delicious 🙂 

• Like 1

On my last cruise 3 years ago (after which I took a COVID sabbatical) I had a couple awesome MDR stewards.  I asked them fairly early in the cruise about whether it was true that I could have escargot every night if I told the the night before.  They assured me that would work, and it did every night.  By the end of the cruise, I was getting a little tired of escargot and thought I'd order something different the last night but, when I to to dining room,  I was greeted by the two excited stewards who couldn't wait to tell me, :"Ma'am!  It's a special night and we got you TWO escargot tonight!"  So yes, at least 3 years ago, you could get it every night, and I'm hoping I'll find it possible again when I board my next cruise in August.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I was on the Zuiderdam in November on a14 day Panama Cruise.  Escargot was served on 4 nights. The first one was the first gala night.  I saw it twice on the menu while I was in isolation for Covid.  One night I ordered it in isolation.  Made me sick to my stomach and I am sure it was caused by the Covid because I lost my appetite ever after I tested negative and was out of isolation.  

prior to the pandemic escargot was usually served once sometimes twice.

• Like 1

Much to my husband’s disappointment, escargot is not offered nightly on HAL.  He loves this option on Celebrity.  We cruise both of these lines frequently, so he manages to get his escargot quite often.  If we are on HAL, I always order the escargot when it is on the menu, then give it to him, true love.  The last Celebrity cruise we were on in February 2022, he ordered it every evening.