Tips, Tricks and Insider Info for NCL Breakaway?

We have sailed Breakaway and Getaway recently and in the past.  I do not expect to sail either of these ships again for a long time.  Here's what to expect.

1.  Buffet is ok

2.  Entertainment is POOR.  The few lounge acts are crowded.    Impossible to get a seat.  The talent  is variable, often not so good.  Events in Syd Normans are supposedly good, but the venue is small and you have to wait in a long line hoping to get in.  NCL is cutting back dramatically on theater shows.  Expect comedians and not much more.  Howl at The Moon is Great.  

3.  Service on the ship is good throughout. 

4.  Poor outside viewing areas.  They have converted the front lounge area into rooms, so there is no good inside forward viewing anywhere.

5.  Main dining room service is OK.  Ranges from fair to outstanding.  Menus have gone off the deep end.  Just cheap dishes with a quality that I can get in my local diner.  Lots of menu items are now an extra charge.

6.  Room service was very good, with once a day  tending.  Our steward learned we were typically out of the room from 6am to 10:30 or so,  and got the job done then.  If you sleep in late, you may not get service until late in the afternoon. 

7.  NCL retains their title as the nickel and dime cruise line. 

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

-Must see.....band in Syd Norman's.  Get in line early.  It's worth the wait.

-The Waterfront.....drink and dine outside as much as possible.  This area is great for both.

-French Onion Soup in LeBistro

Could go on, but that will get you started!

SHHHHHHH--STOP TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT SYD'S & WATERFRONT!!

Now, not sure how usable the Waterfront would be on a winter TA...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, barric said:

We have sailed Breakaway and Getaway recently and in the past.  I do not expect to sail either of these ships again for a long time.  Here's what to expect.

1.  Buffet is ok

2.  Entertainment is POOR.  The few lounge acts are crowded.    Impossible to get a seat.  The talent  is variable, often not so good.  Events in Syd Normans are supposedly good, but the venue is small and you have to wait in a long line hoping to get in.  NCL is cutting back dramatically on theater shows.  Expect comedians and not much more.  Howl at The Moon is Great.  

3.  Service on the ship is good throughout. 

4.  Poor outside viewing areas.  They have converted the front lounge area into rooms, so there is no good inside forward viewing anywhere.

5.  Main dining room service is OK.  Ranges from fair to outstanding.  Menus have gone off the deep end.  Just cheap dishes with a quality that I can get in my local diner.  Lots of menu items are now an extra charge.

6.  Room service was very good, with once a day  tending.  Our steward learned we were typically out of the room from 6am to 10:30 or so,  and got the job done then.  If you sleep in late, you may not get service until late in the afternoon. 

7.  NCL retains their title as the nickel and dime cruise line. 

Thanks for the info....looks like I'll need to adjust expectations for on-board activities.  Did you get a wifi package and, if so, how was it?  

1 hour ago, ColumboRocks said:

Thanks for the info....looks like I'll need to adjust expectations for on-board activities.  Did you get a wifi package and, if so, how was it?  

The entertainment is the strength of Breakaway.  There are two Broadway level shows (until they get rid of Six in January), and the other entertainment is good too.  The atrium is always crowded and too small.  The inside cabin I had was very small.

Edited by epanchenko

@ColumboRocks the Breakaway is a good ship.  Yes the atrium is typically packed…but that’s true for most NCL ships.  And Syd Normans there will be a line. Tip for Syd’s…go there the first night for their sail away.  It’s typically less crowded and many onboard haven’t discovered it yet.  There is also a small bar outside the door to Syd’s so you can sit and relax waiting for the line to start forming.  

jersey Boys and SIX are good shows…so make reservations in advance. I believe you can now make reservations via the app 21 days in advance. And if you don’t get what you want, check the kiosks by the elevators throughout the cruise for availability.

make your dinner reservations 120 days in advance.  Definitely do reservations for specialty dining, and also MDRs too.  You can only make one reservation for each MDR and specialty restaurant.  You can modify onboard.  I suggest doing the MDR reservations because we don’t like waiting in line.

re the PrivaSea.  Yes that would be a good balcony choice for a TA, but I think they are far forward and not the best place if you are prone to or unsure of seasickness. Mid ship is most stable. 

We also make a cheat sheet of the public decks (6,7,8 and 15,16,17). We list important places (bars, restaurants, theater) what deck they are on and whether they are FWD, MID, AFT.  This allows us to know where we’re going and best route…keeping us out of the crowded atrium.

go and enjoy.  

• Like 3

See my review from earlier this year.

The Breakaway is a large ship, the first in NCL's size class.  

Things to try:

Deck 8 walk around and lounging around.  An outdoor bar on either side.

Spice H2O on aft deck 16.  Large area for sunny days, hot tubs, bar and bathrooms, supposedly for adults only.  I haven't seen kids there except for a walk through.

Keep in mind crew rotations are from 3 to 9 months.  So the most of the crew from my review will be gone, but some return to the same ship for several rotations.   Same with entertainers.  

Hope you have a good time.

17 hours ago, laudergayle said:

@ColumboRocks the Breakaway is a good ship.  Yes the atrium is typically packed…but that’s true for most NCL ships.  And Syd Normans there will be a line. Tip for Syd’s…go there the first night for their sail away.  It’s typically less crowded and many onboard haven’t discovered it yet.  There is also a small bar outside the door to Syd’s so you can sit and relax waiting for the line to start forming.  

jersey Boys and SIX are good shows…so make reservations in advance. I believe you can now make reservations via the app 21 days in advance. And if you don’t get what you want, check the kiosks by the elevators throughout the cruise for availability.

make your dinner reservations 120 days in advance.  Definitely do reservations for specialty dining, and also MDRs too.  You can only make one reservation for each MDR and specialty restaurant.  You can modify onboard.  I suggest doing the MDR reservations because we don’t like waiting in line.

re the PrivaSea.  Yes that would be a good balcony choice for a TA, but I think they are far forward and not the best place if you are prone to or unsure of seasickness. Mid ship is most stable. 

We also make a cheat sheet of the public decks (6,7,8 and 15,16,17). We list important places (bars, restaurants, theater) what deck they are on and whether they are FWD, MID, AFT.  This allows us to know where we’re going and best route…keeping us out of the crowded atrium.

go and enjoy.  

Thank you for these detailed tips!  I'll follow this guidance on the dinner reservations for sure. 

If you have the knowledge and the time for some advice on the PrivaSea rooms:  I'm getting conflicting information.  My "cruise consultant" (this is our first NCL so not sure how much that even means) says the cabins in that class are "Guarantee Only."  When I go to AAA travel services for my area, I see that the BF category rooms can be booked specifically.  It looks like BF means PrivaSea.  Do you know if that's the case?  Neither of us are prone to seasickness, so not a worry and I'm still in the free cancellation window if needed, so could potentially cancel the direct book and re-book with AAA.  Does that make sense?  

No matter what, we're SO excited to be going on this trip, that for us might be one of a lifetime!  At the end of the day, a crowded Atrium and line at a bar or three will pale in comparison to the ports of call.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give such good advice!

14 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

See my review from earlier this year.

The Breakaway is a large ship, the first in NCL's size class.  

Things to try:

Deck 8 walk around and lounging around.  An outdoor bar on either side.

Spice H2O on aft deck 16.  Large area for sunny days, hot tubs, bar and bathrooms, supposedly for adults only.  I haven't seen kids there except for a walk through.

Keep in mind crew rotations are from 3 to 9 months.  So the most of the crew from my review will be gone, but some return to the same ship for several rotations.   Same with entertainers.  

Hope you have a good time.

Thanks for the info!  It seems like you have good knowledge of the ship layout.  Can you advise if there is a deck that is best for walking/running?  We're both appreciative of good food and a drink (or four), but don't want to arrive home with extra weight.  Is there a deck on this ship that is best for walking or running?  We have only done Royal Caribbean so far and sometimes the "track" is not the best place to for that. 

1 hour ago, ColumboRocks said:

Thanks for the info!  It seems like you have good knowledge of the ship layout.  Can you advise if there is a deck that is best for walking/running?  We're both appreciative of good food and a drink (or four), but don't want to arrive home with extra weight.  Is there a deck on this ship that is best for walking or running?  We have only done Royal Caribbean so far and sometimes the "track" is not the best place to for that. 

Assuming it is the same as on the Getaway, there is a small running track up on deck 16.

However, for walking I would prefer the outside on deck 7. The view isn't great because of the life boats but on the other hand they serve as protection so the deck is less likely to be slippery/wet and it is less windy. It is also far less crowded and you have a nice stretch to stretch your legs (though you are probably not supposed to run there). It does however not go around in a loop but is just one length on each side of the ship. You will have to turn around or go through the inside to complete a loop.

If you want a more leisurely stroll, the Waterfront on deck 8 is your best bet.

Waterfront on deck 8 is good for walking, especially in the morning. Just use the forward doors to make a complete loop.  Running is on the designated track on 16 and is narrow in spots and takes you past a main entrance. I would only use it very early, be done by 8.  You can also be creative on your walks if you use the outside stairs on 16, 17 and 18.

Most areas away from the buffet will have low traffic prior to 8.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColumboRocks said:

Thank you for these detailed tips!  I'll follow this guidance on the dinner reservations for sure. 

If you have the knowledge and the time for some advice on the PrivaSea rooms:  I'm getting conflicting information.  My "cruise consultant" (this is our first NCL so not sure how much that even means) says the cabins in that class are "Guarantee Only."  When I go to AAA travel services for my area, I see that the BF category rooms can be booked specifically.  It looks like BF means PrivaSea.  Do you know if that's the case?  Neither of us are prone to seasickness, so not a worry and I'm still in the free cancellation window if needed, so could potentially cancel the direct book and re-book with AAA.  Does that make sense?  

No matter what, we're SO excited to be going on this trip, that for us might be one of a lifetime!  At the end of the day, a crowded Atrium and line at a bar or three will pale in comparison to the ports of call.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give such good advice!

First I want to correct something I wrote earlier…Jersey Boys is not n the Breakaway…but Burn the Floor is also entertaining.

I assume you’re doing the TA Rome to NY in November? If so your Final Pymt date is coming up soon.

it looks like all Balcony cabins are now Guarantee Only, which NCL turns it on and off throughout the selling process.  So it was good you were able to select your cabin before they turned on GTY only. 

Try a mock booking on AAA site and see if you can select the PrivaSea cabin and if the cost is comparable.  If so, you could book on AAA then cancel your NCL booked reservation without penalty.  

As you said, it’s more about the adventure.  Enjoy your cruise.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:23 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yes,indeed! One of the best items on their menu. 

Thank you for this tip! I love Cuban food and will look forward to ordering that on the Breakaway later this year!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you for this tip! I love Cuban food and will look forward to ordering that on the Breakaway later this year!

Not the Breakaway, but when I was on the jewel on a Panama canal cruise, the MDR had a latin item on the MDR lunch menu daily. One day i ordered a chicken meal and I thought it would be some slices or a breast at the most. It was an entire half of a chicken! I was so embarrassed. lol I made a valliant effort to finish it. But the chicken won.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 9:36 AM, laudergayle said:

First I want to correct something I wrote earlier…Jersey Boys is not n the Breakaway…but Burn the Floor is also entertaining.

I assume you’re doing the TA Rome to NY in November? If so your Final Pymt date is coming up soon.

it looks like all Balcony cabins are now Guarantee Only, which NCL turns it on and off throughout the selling process.  So it was good you were able to select your cabin before they turned on GTY only. 

Try a mock booking on AAA site and see if you can select the PrivaSea cabin and if the cost is comparable.  If so, you could book on AAA then cancel your NCL booked reservation without penalty.  

As you said, it’s more about the adventure.  Enjoy your cruise.

Hi L,

Thanks for the advice.  Update:  I was able to book via AAA to the specific BF cabin which I think is PrivaSea (enclosed) with a room assigned.  There was a price difference in our favor, but mostly I was hoping to get a balcony that would shield the wind on this TA.  As stated, I've never been on NCL, but from my experience so far, the customer service and wait time on the phone was MUCH better than Royal!  The agent was helpful, cancelled the original booking without issue, and I've already got the refund on my original downpayment.  Hope this good luck carries through to the actual cruise!  

Again, thank you so much for the insider knowledge!

PS:  Yep...it's the Rome to NY TA

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 7:54 AM, Panhandle Couple said:

Waterfront on deck 8 is good for walking, especially in the morning. Just use the forward doors to make a complete loop.  Running is on the designated track on 16 and is narrow in spots and takes you past a main entrance. I would only use it very early, be done by 8.  You can also be creative on your walks if you use the outside stairs on 16, 17 and 18.

Most areas away from the buffet will have low traffic prior to 8.

"Forward Doors"....is it clear that you can go through these and not meant for crew only?  If so, that would be great to be able to do a complete loop! 

On 7/2/2023 at 8:18 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I forgot to say the sushi bar has a “boat” that is wonderful.  Well worth the $15 or so.

Please elaborate--I don't see it on any menus I see online!

9 hours ago, ColumboRocks said:

"Forward Doors"....is it clear that you can go through these and not meant for crew only?  If so, that would be great to be able to do a complete loop! 

They are guest-facing doors. It's not the actual bow of the ship as NCL doesn't allow guests on the bows of their ship, with limited exceptions (i.e. Panama Canal, Alaska, and then only if you're lucky). You'll basically walk a rectangle on deck 8 - Waterfront using the forward and aft doors to complete the loop. 

I have not yet sailed Breakaway, but sailed Getaway three times last year. The ships are virtually identical. One must for us is Shanghai Noodle Bar. It's an included dining venue that has dumplings, spring rolls, broth bowls with noodles/meat, and rice. Of course it is not the best ever, but it is very, very good and a nice change of pace from the fancified main dining room/specialty restaurants. 

The issue with Shanghai are lines. Generally, it is open for lunch for 1.5 hours on sea days. Not sure how this will work on a Trans-Atlantic. Anyway, if you want to eat lunch, plan to be there early. Like 30 - 45 minutes early. They basically have enough time for two seatings and typically I've observed those in line when the place opens get the first and second seating, meaning you don't have anything if you come later. Again, perhaps different on a Trans-Atlantic, but I doubt it.

Someone else mentioned the thermal suite. That is your place! It's really not expensive. Compare it to a similar venue on land. Say, Vegas. There you'll spend the $300'ish for one day. On NCL, you'll pay that for the entirety of the cruise. There are times it is very crowded, but experiment with different times and you'll find yourself reading a book with no one else in the entire place. 

Also, during the day, Bliss Lounge would be a great reading nook. It's really quiet in that nightclub...during the day. 

Have a lovely cruise! I wish I were joining you, but I may be sailing Breakaway next spring out of N'Orlins. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ColumboRocks said:

Sliding glass doors that are the same for r all outdoor deck access.

15 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

They are guest-facing doors. It's not the actual bow of the ship as NCL doesn't allow guests on the bows of their ship, with limited exceptions (i.e. Panama Canal, Alaska, and then only if you're lucky). You'll basically walk a rectangle on deck 8 - Waterfront using the forward and aft doors to complete the loop. 

I have not yet sailed Breakaway, but sailed Getaway three times last year. The ships are virtually identical. One must for us is Shanghai Noodle Bar. It's an included dining venue that has dumplings, spring rolls, broth bowls with noodles/meat, and rice. Of course it is not the best ever, but it is very, very good and a nice change of pace from the fancified main dining room/specialty restaurants. 

The issue with Shanghai are lines. Generally, it is open for lunch for 1.5 hours on sea days. Not sure how this will work on a Trans-Atlantic. Anyway, if you want to eat lunch, plan to be there early. Like 30 - 45 minutes early. They basically have enough time for two seatings and typically I've observed those in line when the place opens get the first and second seating, meaning you don't have anything if you come later. Again, perhaps different on a Trans-Atlantic, but I doubt it.

Someone else mentioned the thermal suite. That is your place! It's really not expensive. Compare it to a similar venue on land. Say, Vegas. There you'll spend the $300'ish for one day. On NCL, you'll pay that for the entirety of the cruise. There are times it is very crowded, but experiment with different times and you'll find yourself reading a book with no one else in the entire place. 

Also, during the day, Bliss Lounge would be a great reading nook. It's really quiet in that nightclub...during the day. 

Have a lovely cruise! I wish I were joining you, but I may be sailing Breakaway next spring out of N'Orlins. 

"Forward Doors" ahhh....I think I understand.  We've been on RCL ships that didn't have a complete loop but a great walking track and just had to cut through passenger doors to get to the other side of the loop.  In my experience, it's a LOT better than trying to get your walk on in the crowded pool area where the "official" track is.

We will for sure check out Shanghai and hope to find it a little less crowded on at least some days of this 16 day trip!

Any you read me well....I'll be booking the Therman Suite as soon as it's available to do so!

Thanks for taking the time to flesh this out!

I'll try to report back (never done a Live) so hopefully will repay the favor with some insider info for your spring cruise.

• Thanks 1