Still Onboard Marina

vlthom

19 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@vlthom

I guess my Rube Goldberg fixes for what ails you elicited a few comments. I thought Traveling with my favorite Bungy cord was a pretty good idea, you just never know when it will come in handy. Loved the “Jam the Slipper pak” idea, will add it to my list of fixes or maybe send it on to Heloise’s Hints next revision 🤪. I think I will suggest to O that they start selling Oceania Duct Tape for Big O Point redemption because we all have a little McGiver in us. What could be better advertising for O, the ultimate fix for that airline thrashed suitcase for your travel home 😇👍.  Actually on those Transatlantic trips when guests are creating their sailing boats for the competition, that new O Duct Tape could be quite valuable. 🙏🤙🛳️

Enjoy your trip, in spite of the hiccups.

Mauibabes

You are relentlessly positive and helpful, and I hope my small attempt at humor did not offend.  (but maintenance should really get those doors fixed)

• Like 1

@shepherd really

Thanks for the nice comment and I can agree with you, it would seem like a fixable situation for maintenance but undoubtedly the sliders will be an issue with Marina’s refurb.  We have been on Marina a couple times since her return for 32 days + and we had no such issues with the closet doors but that was our rooms. 
Always better to stay positive when traveling. 👍😇

Mauibabes

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, mauibabes said:

@vlthom

I guess my Rube Goldberg fixes for what ails you elicited a few comments. I thought Traveling with my favorite Bungy cord was a pretty good idea, you just never know when it will come in handy. Loved the “Jam the Slipper pak” idea, will add it to my list of fixes or maybe send it on to Heloise’s Hints next revision 🤪. I think I will suggest to O that they start selling Oceania Duct Tape for Big O Point redemption because we all have a little McGiver in us. What could be better advertising for O, the ultimate fix for that airline thrashed suitcase for your travel home 😇👍.  Actually on those Transatlantic trips when guestWe will be on Marina next week and I'm difinatlys are creating their sailing boats for the competition, that new O Duct Tape could be quite valuable. 🙏🤙🛳️

Enjoy your trip, in spite of the hiccups.

Mauibabes

We will be on Marina next week and I'm Defiantly bringing my Duct tape along.....

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, D. B. said:

We will be on Marina next week and I'm Defiantly bringing my Duct tape along.....

“Leave the tuxedo, take the duct tape.”

Quote adapted from The Godfather 

Edited by Hanoj
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

“Leave the tuxedo, take the duct tape.”

Quote adapted from The Godfather 

I once used MY duct tape and a butter knife  to Fix a verandah partition that was Rattling so loud on a windy night it was keeping me awake. The next morning the Guests in the next cabin Thanked Me for saving their night!

When I showed my fine work to my cabin steward the next morning, he looked horrified and next thing  I knew 3 guys in white coveralls were all over my veranda doing a "proper"  repair!

• Like 3

I’d like to point out that during our first segment of this trip, we were in a different cabin (same level, just on the opposite side of the ship).  In that cabin, there were no issues whatsoever.  The HVAC worked great.  The closet doors stayed closed and the lights inside did not flicker during the night.  The bathroom door did not need to be slammed in order to close.  That’s not true in our latest cabin; however, we removed the lightbulb from the closet.  It’s unnecessary anyway.  And we wedge a pair of the provided slippers in between the closet doors at night and they don’t move.  Those “fixes” are not a huge effort and we go on to enjoy our cruise.  We’re having a fine time.  Now if they can only straighten out issues with our account, we’ll be set.  They can’t seem to provide the correct SBC or loyalty status despite this being the 5th day of the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

O's website indicates Marina was refurbished in 2021. I'm surprised to read about so many maintenance issues (my idea of "luxury" or premium line cruising doesn't entail bringing bungee cords and duct tape). Our first O cruise is on Vista next month. I have my eye on a couple 2024 Marina itineraries, but will be reluctant to book unless sailings are after her next dry dock. Is there a definite date her next major maintenance is scheduled? I have read conflicting indications on this and the other "On Marina" thread.

Just now, Hanoj said:

O's website indicates Marina was refurbished in 2021. I'm surprised to read about so many maintenance issues (my idea of "luxury" or premium line cruising doesn't entail bringing bungee cords and duct tape). Our first O cruise is on Vista next month. I have my eye on a couple 2024 Marina itineraries, but will be reluctant to book unless sailings are after her next dry dock. Is there a definite date her next major maintenance is scheduled? I have read conflicting indications on this and the other "On Marina" thread.

It was not. This was the original schedule I believe, the new date is April 2024.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

I believe there was some tongue in cheek humor involved in some of the comments - though we always do pack a bungee cord in our travel bag no matter wha type of travel we are doing....they come in handy for many things (broken suitcase zipper...)

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

It was not. This was the original schedule I believe, the new date is April 2024.

It is 2023? Such inaccuracies on O's website do not present well. How difficult is this? Is such inattention endemic to the company?

1 minute ago, Hanoj said:

It is 2023? Such inaccuracies on O's website do not present well. How difficult is this? Is such inattention endemic to the company?

Agree 100%. There is such a big gap between great on board experience and the corporate behavior (including customer service, false advertising, website etc)

• Like 1

Just now, ak1004 said:

Agree 100%. There is such a big gap between great on board experience and the corporate behavior (including customer service, false advertising, website etc)

Interesting, as this seems to be an increasing complaint about Viking (shore based operations for booking etc.) from some (us included) long time loyal customers. Heidi13 won't sail with them again due to L.A. office issues (there is a thread on Viking CC).

• Like 1

Dinner was in Red Ginger tonight.  I must say, everything was delicious BUT…….there was no Miso Glazed Sea Bass on the menu!  Instead, it was Miso Glazed Black Cod.  I’ve never been a fan of cod so I didn’t order it.  But I’ve now googled it and it may be a decent fish.  I was just shocked that they messed with such a popular dish.

Tonight the swag for our “gold” level appeared on the bed - hats, pins and tote bags.  We don’t really care about that stuff but would like to have the extra OBC that is due, yet it still hasn’t appeared.  Maybe tomorrow?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vlthom said:

I was just shocked that they messed with such a popular dish.

It may not have been their choice.  If they couldn't get Sea Bass at the the resupply port, they do what they have to.  O knows the "fame" of this dish, and wouldn't purposely change it without a strong reason.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

It may not have been their choice.  If they couldn't get Sea Bass at the the resupply port, they do what they have to.  O knows the "fame" of this dish, and wouldn't purposely change it without a strong reason.

We had this happen on Marina last Fall in Med - first meal was Cod and next meal was Sea Bass - a supply issue that was resolved at the next port of call.  The Miso Cod was actually very nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, basor said:

We had this happen on Marina last Fall in Med - first meal was Cod and next meal was Sea Bass - a supply issue that was resolved at the next port of call.

Spoilsport!  I was having too much fun visualizing some poor butler sticking a fishing pole over the fantail.  😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Snaefell3 said:

Spoilsport!  I was having too much fun visualizing some poor butler sticking a fishing pole over the fantail.  😉

Well it could have been since I said it was resolved at the next port - he could have been fishing off the pier!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Snaefell3 said:

Our  ast cruise back in '74   that is what the crew did

whole fish for dinner that night 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vlthom said:

Dinner was in Red Ginger tonight.  I must say, everything was delicious BUT…….there was no Miso Glazed Sea Bass on the menu!  Instead, it was Miso Glazed Black Cod.  I’ve never been a fan of cod so I didn’t order it.  But I’ve now googled it and it may be a decent fish.  I was just shocked that they messed with such a popular dish.

Tonight the swag for our “gold” level appeared on the bed - hats, pins and tote bags.  We don’t really care about that stuff but would like to have the extra OBC that is due, yet it still hasn’t appeared.  Maybe tomorrow?

If you’ve already googled it you probably know now that the Black Cod is a different type of fish than the true cod. It’s actually tasted very good and generally has much higher price than the cod. Though, it’s not from the same family that the Chilean Sea Bass.

Please let us know when you get your loyalty level OBC posted on your account. We’ll be GOLD on our next cruise and I believe that this additional OBC should be reflected on the account from the beginning of the milestone cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 3:08 AM, osandomir said:

Please let us know when you get your loyalty level OBC posted on your account. We’ll be GOLD on our next cruise and I believe that this additional OBC should be reflected on the account from the beginning of the milestone cruise.

Happy to say that they finally managed to post our OBC associated with our gold status as of this afternoon, which is day 7 of 10, for this segment.  It did seem to finally happen after I talked to the Ambassador,  contacted my TA who said that he spoke to O in Miami (on day 3), I contacted reception who said that they’d speak with the pursers office (day 6), and  I explained the situation on the mid-cruise comments (day 6).  We finally received certificates for the spa treatments that also come with being gold level, too, as of this afternoon.  We were able to get spa appointments on the last day of the cruise, fortunately, as it was the only time that we could fit them into our schedule at this stage.  I wish that we hadn’t had to spend so much time chasing this down.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Happy to say that they finally managed to post our OBC associated with our gold status as of this afternoon, which is day 7 of 10, for this segment.  It did seem to finally happen after I talked to the Ambassador,  contacted my TA who said that he spoke to O in Miami (on day 3), I contacted reception who said that they’d speak with the pursers office (day 6), and  I explained the situation on the mid-cruise comments (day 6).  We finally received certificates for the spa treatments that also come with being gold level, too, as of this afternoon.  We were able to get spa appointments on the last day of the cruise, fortunately, as it was the only time that we could fit them into our schedule at this stage.  I wish that we hadn’t had to spend so much time chasing this down.

Thank you for posting… it wasn’t ideal but at least it was accomplished. One more question please - did you happen to use O air and gold level air deviation waiver for this cruise?

On 7/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, vlthom said:

Actually, miso black cod was the original Nobu preparation. It's sablefish. Similar to Chilean sea bass in texture but more difficult to source. It's the sea bass that's the substitute for the original, not the black cod.

• Like 3