Captains night

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from the june 25-july 10 cruise on Discovery and to be honest I was a little disappointed at the 'dressing to impress' by the men on the cruise.  I would hazard a guess that only 15% of the men wore dinner jackets and probably the same percentage of ladies in long dresses. Although most ladies wore attractive attire in the restaurants on these special nights, probably about 15% of men wore tailored shorts! I wouldnt take 'special' clobber again ( not on Marella anyway ) but I have so many new and unopened bow-ties, I feel that I must! lol

Edited by Coalman
new info

Hi Coalman,

that’s a shame. Tailored shorts are not my idea of dress to impress, mind you there’re probably cooler than a full suit (which my husband has just bought, his tux must have shrunk in the wardrobe!)  we don’t get much chance to dress up so am looking forward to this night, was it held on the first sea night?  Keep up with the bow-ties I think they look so classy. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used to take a suit and dress shirt on all cruises but now I don't bother, especially with fly-cruises where they take up so much extra space and weight in your case. The trouble with a "dress to impress" dress code is that it's very much open to interpretation. I just wear smart trousers and a collared shirt for dinners each night, including dress to impress nights. If they stated "black tie" and enforced it, I'd be happy to oblige. 

The beauty of Marella is that the strict dress code has pretty much gone, You are allowed to wear whatever you feel comfortable with. This gives the Tux/ sparkly dress crowd a chance to glam up but also doesn’t make the rest of the passengers eat in the buffet on these nights. Win win for everyone.😉

• Like 2

Hi Jim. Hope you’re well.

We have a trip booked with another line for Christmas and new year and the dress code dictates formal wear on three nights😳 

My own fault for suggesting we try another company.🤷🏻‍♂️I now have to buy a suit.😤

Hi B

I,m fine and hope you well

We,re creatures of habit and no sign or inclination of us changing to another line in fact we,ve another Marella cruise booked for next year 😉

Whats the other line your going with?

Birthday suit,its free 😉😆

4 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Hi Jim. Hope you’re well.

We have a trip booked with another line for Christmas and new year and the dress code dictates formal wear on three nights😳 

My own fault for suggesting we try another company.🤷🏻‍♂️I now have to buy a suit.😤

Like it🥳 probably wrong size but I have a couple you could HIRE 😄

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

Hi B

I,m fine and hope you well

We,re creatures of habit and no sign or inclination of us changing to another line in fact we,ve another Marella cruise booked for next year 😉

Whats the other line your going with?

Birthday suit,its free 😉😆

Alls well here thanks Jim.

Saga…SS olden is the ship I believe.

Me in my bday suit would save them booking a comedian, definitely get more laughs.

Edited by Brummijam
  • Haha 1