NCL Haven Bliss vs Encore

THIS IS US!

Planning a cruise to Alaska with DM and friends. Would live any feedback on the Haven experience on the two ships. Any must do excursions or personally planned adventures for a newbie at the ports of call (My first time in Alaska) would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Cruising 

2 minutes ago, THIS IS US! said:

Planning a cruise to Alaska with DM and friends. Would live any feedback on the Haven experience on the two ships. Any must do excursions or personally planned adventures for a newbie at the ports of call (My first time in Alaska) would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Cruising 

Can't speak to the Haven, but as for excursions it depends greatly on the ports you're visiting and, most importantly, your budget.

Thank you RB9643 for the reply. Two itineraries are currently available but the dates we are looking at are not up yet so unsure which we will take. Knowing about both itineraries would be beneficial in making the final decision since I get to choose.

• Seattle,Washington
  • Juneau,Alaska
  • Skagway,Alaska
  • Ketchikan (Ward Cove),Alaska
  • Victoria,British Columbia
  • Seattle,Washington
  • Seattle,Washington
  • Sitka,Alaska
  • Juneau,Alaska
  • Icy Strait Point,Alaska
  • Seattle,Washington

Havens on those ships are exactly the same. Same food, same layouts. What makes the difference is the concierge, butler and room steward. Just off Encore 2 weeks ago and Bowen was very organized and great concierge. Naveen was our butler, and he was great too. Will be going on Bliss in August, not sure who concierge is, but like the itinerary. 

For port excursions go to NCL Cruises. in left hand corner click on Explore, then click on shore excursions for Alaska and then the port you are interested in exploring. Everyone enjoys different things and has a different budget, but. we like whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. in Skagway the train, or Scenic bus tour to Alaska sign etc. Ketchikan, we like walking around town and creek Street. Sitka we like the Best of Sitka tour, and icy Strait Point we like either whale watching or riding the gondola to the top of the mountain. 

Thank you so much drumming cruisers! Definitely agree about the Haven staff, we just got off the Escape and had an amazing staff in the Haven (Concierge Sanya, and Butler Jennifer). I am doing research as well, thank you for all the tips!

11 hours ago, THIS IS US! said:

Happy Cruising 

If you choose itenerary #1, at Skagway do the train trip.  When the gold rush first opened in the Yukon, prospectors were met at the top of the pass by the mounties are were required to show they had the ability to fend for themselves.  The lists of items they had to have was huge.  Either they had to make multiple trips carrying heavy loads or hire someone to do so. The train trip follows the path they took.

Greatly recommend the VIP version which is only one train car and has it's own tour guide, heavy snacks, booze, etc.  The dedicated tour guide means you can ask question while the non-vip trip probably won't have a guide in  your car.  Seating is comfortable lounge chairs that rotate while the other tour is bench seating.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you choose itinerary #1, at Skagway do the train trip.  

This is definitely on my list, I am a huge train fan and never miss the opportunity to visit a train museum or ride. Definitely a huge vote for this itinerary, I had already told DM this was on my list when deciding to go. Did not know about the VIP option, you have me sold on that as well. 

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Greatly recommend the VIP version which is only one train car and has its own tour guide

1 minute ago, THIS IS US! said:

My SIL was on the same train but in a regular train car so we were able to compare that with the VIP.  The VIP is definitely worth IMO.  Having your own dedicated tour guide makes all the difference.  When you see something,  you can ask the guide about it.  Can't do that if he's just a voice on a speaker.

• Thanks 1

Just now, THIS IS US! said:
5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Another great plus. I will share this with DM and friends as well.

I know you can save some by taking the cheap tour but Alaska is a once in a lifetime event.  Go big and give yourself something to really remember.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I know you can save some by taking the cheap tour but Alaska is a once in a lifetime event.  Go big and give yourself something to really remember.  

I agree with you on getting the most bang for your buck. My husband and I booked private and small group excursions so we could enjoy everything in a small group and I feel it was the best decision. Alaska is so beautiful and I am looking forward to this time sailing again with my DD. 

4 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

I agree with you on getting the most bang for your buck. My husband and I booked private and small group excursions so we could enjoy everything in a small group and I feel it was the best decision. Alaska is so beautiful and I am looking forward to this time sailing again with my DD. 

We had another Alaskan cruise booked but decided to cancel it.  We made this decision because getting their is such a hassle for us.  It's over eight hours of travel time.  We're getting too old for that even in first class so we taking another Caribbean cruise.  We're really ship people anyway.  The VIP train trip was the only shore excursion we did.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We had another Alaskan cruise booked but decided to cancel it.  We made this decision because getting their is such a hassle for us.  It's over eight hours of travel time.  We're getting too old for that even in first class so we taking another Caribbean cruise.  We're really ship people anyway.  The VIP train trip was the only shore excursion we did.  

The VIP train is on the list. Thank you again for sharing your experience. The travel back and forth to the other coast is not on my list to do either since I am in my 70s. Lucky for me Alaska is on the same coast where we live and has a reasonable air flight time up the coast to Seattle. Our return flights from our recent trip back east took the wind out of my sails. 

13 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

The VIP train is on the list. Thank you again for sharing your experience. The travel back and forth to the other coast is not on my list to do either since I am in my 70s. Lucky for me Alaska is on the same coast where we live and has a reasonable air flight time up the coast to Seattle. Our return flights from our recent trip back east took the wind out of my sails. 

It is recommended that one doesn't take a Seatle departure until early afternoon.  Then its an eight flight back home and home is three time zones ahead. Stuff like that used to be fun when I was 40.

Long flights are another reason we avoid European cruises.   

• Like 2

On 7/2/2023 at 9:03 AM, RocketMan275 said:

You will truly enjoy travelling in style.

Indeed! I am a very early planner, and when it comes to cruising the excitement only builds. If I get too tired of waiting we just throw in a quick cruise at our home port. lol which is why they flood the list. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:25 PM, THIS IS US! said:

Thank you RB9643 for the reply. Two itineraries are currently available but the dates we are looking at are not up yet so unsure which we will take. Knowing about both itineraries would be beneficial in making the final decision since I get to choose.

• Seattle,Washington
  • Juneau,Alaska
  • Skagway,Alaska
  • Seattle,Washington
  • Seattle,Washington
  • Sitka,Alaska
  • Juneau,Alaska
  • Icy Strait Point,Alaska
  • Seattle,Washington

Which one goes to Glacier Bay?  I'm guessing Encore.  Do that.