Rome disembarkation- transfers or alternatives available for late flight

cruisinclined

We disembark in Rome later this year with a late flight from Fiumicino at 22.00 hrs.

I understand that Azamara transfers which include some excursion time are not published before we embark? We also wonder how much time they are likely to use up before airport drop off.

Do you have experience of using ship transfers for such a late flight in Rome or used other providers for this purpose?

not sure about Rome but the last-day transfers I have used previously still get you to the airport around lunchtime. (have had to hang about for hours waiting for bag drop desk to open) With such a late flight I would look at a day room at a hotel, dump bags, spend the day sightseeing, head back, freshen up then head to airport.

Edited by Scots Caz
  • Like 2

I would look at getting a private car service to do a day tour.  Ask them for suggestions about itineraries that you might like.  We did this with Athens and Corinth last year.  I've heard RomeCabs mentioned positively on CC.  We've used CivitavecciaPort.org for car service in Rome and have been satisfied.

2 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I would look at getting a private car service to do a day tour.  Ask them for suggestions about itineraries that you might like.  We did this with Athens and Corinth last year.  I've heard RomeCabs mentioned positively on CC.  We've used CivitavecciaPort.org for car service in Rome and have been satisfied.

Good suggestion! I think RomeCabs will definitely organize a city tour as part of a transfer.

Civitavecchia cruise port is 70km from FCO.  Rome is closer to FCO, but still about 30 km.  Another way to spend the time would be a driver who takes you to Ostia Antica, which is very close to FCO and worth 2 hours (says Rick Steves), and then on to the airport.

• Like 1

Thank you for these helpful suggestions. My only thought would be that leaving the ship at 0900 and getting to the airport, say at 1800 would involve a very long (and costly) taxi service. A one hour trip is over 100 euros in Italy.

May have to get to the airport early.

When I have a late night flight after disembarking a cruise, I always consider 2 options, and see which will provide me with the most desired experience. 

The first option I consider is a combination day tour/airport transfer. Few cruise lines offer options on this for flights that depart after 3 or 4pm, so if it's an evening or night flight I have, I am looking at private options rather than group options. I usually start by going to a site that offers many tours such as Viator or Tripadvisor just to see what the options are for things to do in the port area, airport area, or within an hour or so radius; I usually also do a bit of googling on "things to do" in X. If I am able to identify something that is appealing to me, that I haven't done, etc, then I start contacting tour operators, driver/guides, etc, to see if they can arrange a pick up at cruise ship, day tour, and transfer to airport package, and get quotes.

The second option I consider is booking a hotel for 1 night for the day of disembarkation, and going sightseeing on our own in the city/town, and then taking a taxi or public transport to the airport later. I don't plan on spending the night at this hotel, but it does allow me to go there when I get off the ship, drop my bags with them in the morning, go off and enjoy the place I am in, and return to check in, freshen up in our rooms, relax in peace, and then head to the aiport. 

For example, we are departing out of Buenos Aires on a flight that departs after midnight when we disembark a cruise in December. We have visited BA a couple of times in the past for several days, so this time we booked a hotel for 1 night. We will drop our bags with the desk clerk when we disembark, then take a hike in a nature preserve, and explore a couple of places of interest. We will then enjoy a nice late lunch at a steakhouse. We'll head to the hotel in the late afternoon, check in, shower, maybe nap, and then head to the airport around 9pm. If this was one of our first trips to BA, I would be considering a driver/guide to pick us up at the ship and give us a full day tour of the highlights of BA, that ended with a drop off at the airport, or a visit to an estancia for a day of ranch life, entertainment, food, etc., then a drop off at the airport.  

These are wonderful suggestions.

We have often chosen Option 2. It provides lots of flexibility and sitting around at an airport for a long period of time is a situation we try to avoid.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Civitavecchia cruise port is 70km from FCO.  Rome is closer to FCO, but still about 30 km.  Another way to spend the time would be a driver who takes you to Ostia Antica, which is very close to FCO and worth 2 hours (says Rick Steves), and then on to the airport.

I think you’d have to walk very quickly to see everything, or even just the highlights at Ostia Antica in two hours. Rich Steves must have been in pack-in-as-much-as-possible mode on his way to somewhere else. There is quite a lot to see there. All the better because it wasn’t a disaster that put the port out of use. It just gradually silted up, and the people walked away. And you wouldn’t want to miss Vespasian’s communal toilets, would you? 😁 (No longer in use, I hasten to add!) At least half a day with lunch in the middle (there is, or at least there was, a reasonably nice cafè there) would be a good investment of time, especially if you have all day to do something interesting before your flight. 

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

The second option I consider is booking a hotel for 1 night for the day of disembarkation, and going sightseeing on our own in the city/town, and then taking a taxi or public transport to the airport later. I don't plan on spending the night at this hotel, but it does allow me to go there when I get off the ship, drop my bags with them in the morning, go off and enjoy the place I am in, and return to check in, freshen up in our rooms, relax in peace, and then head to the aiport. 

Should consider Day use of room would give access to room all day and is often half the price or less than an overnight stay

example - random hotel Rome for 13th September

book for night of arrival..can't get into room till 2pm... room cost £135 

Instead look at day room at same hotel 10am-6pm = £51 or 9am-7pm = £59

(showing £ as website is picking up where I am now!)

Have done this in a couple of places when late flight back and has worked perfectly

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Scots Caz said:

Should consider Day use of room would give access to room all day and is often half the price or less than an overnight stay

example - random hotel Rome for 13th September

book for night of arrival..can't get into room till 2pm... room cost £135 

Instead look at day room at same hotel 10am-6pm = £51 or 9am-7pm = £59

(showing £ as website is picking up where I am now!)

Have done this in a couple of places when late flight back and has worked perfectly

Also a good idea and worth considering, and may be better for those who want the room in the morning or mid-day. But for us I find that many hotels don't do Day Use bookings, and I don't need the hotel room itself until the late afternoon and evening, but need the secure place to store our bags. I've been able to find good hotels for reasonable amounts so far, and can have the room as late as I like (or even until the next day if my plans change on my flight). For BA, I'm booked at the NH Buenos Aires Florida hotel, at a total of $59.36 USD.

All worth checking on.

Here are more details

This day excursion is designed for those who wish to enjoy all the highlights of ORVIETO and CIVITA BORGNOREGIO.

The tour does involve a lot of walking and steps, but was great.  Total cost was 600 euros.

IMG_8603.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

IMG_8557.jpeg