Booking on-board - upgrade perk?

rodndonna

I read on a blog (points guy) that a perk of booking on board with NCL for a future cruise is a complimentary upgrade. I can't find reference to that as being a perk anywhere so assuming that is not the case (or may be an offer at times which varies)

Is there any benefit to actually doing a booking while on-board as opposed to just purchasing CruiseNext certificates that you can use later?

I believe that upgrade is within the category, ie, from one balcony to a slightly better balcony.  You're not going to get an upgrade from an ocean view to a balcony for example.

Of course,  you can get the  upgrade and still buy CruiseNext.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it is an upgrade within a category.  So obstructed OV to picture window or a better balcony.  I don't know if there is anything available for above balcony.

Rarely there might be an additional incentive for booking onboard.  There were a couple of months last summer when there was an additional 10% discount but that was when ships weren't anywhere near capacity.  And I've seen a few reports of OBC in the past.

There have also been times when an onboard offer is advertised but it's really no different than the current offers - for example, TripleUp for CruiseNext was advertised as an onboard offer when it first appeared last December.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Yes, it is an upgrade within a category.  So obstructed OV to picture window or a better balcony.  I don't know if there is anything available for above balcony.

Rarely there might be an additional incentive for booking onboard.  There were a couple of months last summer when there was an additional 10% discount but that was when ships weren't anywhere near capacity.  And I've seen a few reports of OBC in the past.

There have also been times when an onboard offer is advertised but it's really no different than the current offers - for example, TripleUp for CruiseNext was advertised as an onboard offer when it first appeared last December.

Thanks!

Sounds kind of hit and miss, but it would appear the only "true" benefit would be the upgrade within a category - but  still "better than a kick in the head" as they say.

I think it's usually a 1 category upgrade but sometimes it's a 2 category upgrade. So if you know what sailing you want to book, it doesn't hurt to book while onboard. It could be a savings of several hundred dollars.

• Like 1

When we were on the Jade in South Africa cruise in Jan. this year, the offer was we can use two CN certs, and get upgrade within the category.  So we booked an inside, and was upgraded to the best (middle, high floor) inside. 

I had one CN cert, and bought two more.  They applied the one I had, and said the new two I bought will show up in my account when I finish the cruise, and one of those will be applied -- that didn't happen.  I had to make some phone calls to NCL, at first they denied there was such offer (apply two CN certs to inside) but I persisted and they eventually applied a second CN cert.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Middleager said:

When we were on the Jade in South Africa cruise in Jan. this year, the offer was we can use two CN certs, and get upgrade within the category.  So we booked an inside, and was upgraded to the best (middle, high floor) inside. 

I had one CN cert, and bought two more.  They applied the one I had, and said the new two I bought will show up in my account when I finish the cruise, and one of those will be applied -- that didn't happen.  I had to make some phone calls to NCL, at first they denied there was such offer (apply two CN certs to inside) but I persisted and they eventually applied a second CN cert.

Thanks. Our NCL cruise is in January 2024 so I guess "wave" season so hoping for the extra CN certificates as well.

New to NCL .. could still apply also a "cruiseFirst" certificate as well as the 2 CruiseNext's ?  Still struggling to understand NCL certificate program.

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Thanks. Our NCL cruise is in January 2024 so I guess "wave" season so hoping for the extra CN certificates as well.

New to NCL .. could still apply also a "cruiseFirst" certificate as well as the 2 CruiseNext's ?  Still struggling to understand NCL certificate program.

NCL want to sell you CN certs while you are onboard.  CFs are sold when you are not on a cruise.

They sometimes allow double certs, often meaning combination of two CN or two CF, or one CN and one CF.  It doesn't mean one CF plus two CNs.

1 minute ago, Middleager said:

NCL want to sell you CN certs while you are onboard.  CFs are sold when you are not on a cruise.

They sometimes allow double certs, often meaning combination of two CN or two CF, or one CN and one CF.  It doesn't mean one CF plus two CNs.

Can I ever use a CN and a CF towards the same cruise?

6 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Can I ever use a CN and a CF towards the same cruise?

I just answered it:  "or one CN and one CF"  if they allow applying two certs.  I've done that before.

Edited by Middleager

1 minute ago, Middleager said:

If there is no promo, there is no promo.

To be more clear ..I was confused on what the difference is between CN and CF... other than where you buy them. Regardless, it appears they are mutually exclusive .