I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

On 7/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, firefly333 said:

I often told my steward once a day please. I dont like the intrusion. 

I am solo I admit, but not once have my trash cans overflowed lol. As far as visiting my steward in the halls I can still do that, dont see the difference.  I must be super neat.  

We have never had an "intrusion" on any cruise we have been on and that includes other cruise lines besides Royal. We always remember to alert the cabin attendant with the provided signage when we are out of the cabin. We also would chat with the cabin attendant and let them know when we will be leaving for dinner and so forth. It was always a pleasure to leave in the morning, come back and have the cabin pristine with fresh towels. Same for the evening service.....leave for dinner and have the bed turned down with a towel animal waiting. Those days are gone. That is just the way it is.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 3:54 PM, GJustice said:

Pretty sure you can ask for, and get, Ice twice a day. They're cutting back on the 2X FULL service visits, NOT abandoning us entirely. You'll never get anything you want without asking 🙂 

We chose evening, since we're always out from a bit before dinner, through dinner, and usually something after dinner, so there's plenty of time for them to do their thing while we're out. Breakfast doesn't (usually) take long enough since we usually come back to the room to take morning meds, etc and they seem to always want to come while we're there.

Roll with it. It's a VACATION 🙂

Do you get 2X Daily "maid" service at home? I sure don't.

Maid service is all day long in my house. That would be me. LOL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think providing cabin cleaning once a day is training us to just do it ourselves.  I found myself wishing I had access to a large garbage can to dump my wastecans in, so they would not be so full. I don't want to take it up to the pool deck, it needs to be on my deck and available.  If your wastebasket is not full, good for you.  Mine was.

I doubt this will ever change. Charge more, provide less.  I have two cruises booked on different cruise lines to see if anything is better.  It is a shame, too, because on our next cruise, we would have been Diamond Plus.  Oh, well. 

• Like 2

The "do you need... at home" argument is getting really really old.  

I don't go on vacation to experience what I have at home.  I go on vacation to live larger than I live at home.

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

I don't go on vacation to experience what I have at home.  I go on vacation to live larger than I live at home.

I need an ocean view balcony and a beach at home. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS !!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Pratique said:

They prefer it because they are only paid $2 an hour.

I presume it varies but my sister waited tables at a chain restaurant that required her to put 8% of her sales into the tip pool regardless of how much she received in tips. She got to keep whatever was left. If guests shorted her on the tips then it came out of her pocket. And there was this game where if she passed some of her cash tips to the seater or bus boy then they would give her tables preference. It was ugly especially when foreign guests who are not used to tipping would run up big checks and leave paltry (or no) tips.

When I was a server in college I knew to be very nice to the hostess, it was in a tourist area.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, time4u2go said:

I'm always amused by the "you don't need twice a day service" crowd.

I don't need a rock climbing wall.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need a swimming pool.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need production shows.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need music around the ship.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need lots of selections at the buffet.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need a sports court.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need ping-pong tables.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need a hot tub.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.

I don't need twice a day service.  But it's part of the experience, and I enjoy it.  Or at least I used to.

As you mention in your last sentence, it's not part of the experience any longer.  Period.  End of story.  Just like chocolates on the pillows, midnight buffets, unlimited lobster, etc.  

On 8/15/2023 at 12:41 PM, Pratique said:

I've said this before but I believe there are many things Royal could eliminate and there would be folks here rationalizing how it is a good thing. Apparently once a day housekeeping is the best thing since sliced bread but the idea of up-charging for pizza is way over the line. So maybe I was wrong.

Yes, a handful of folks are happy with once a day housekeeping.  Others are "it is what it is" (that's where I fall).  Still others are gnashing their teeth and getting their pitchforks out.

Will enough people "jump ship" because of the "thousand cuts"?  So far, the answer is "no".  If enough people stop sailing, either prices will drop or services will improve.  If they continue sailing full, what motivation is there to lower prices or improve services?  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Will enough people "jump ship" because of the "thousand cuts"?  So far, the answer is "no".  If enough people stop sailing, either prices will drop or services will improve.  If they continue sailing full, what motivation is there to lower prices or improve services?  

I'm not sure we know who is quitting, who is continuing, and who is joining. We don't have that level of data. My point is that people will stomp their feet if they have to pay extra for pizza but if that actually happens will they really make a stink about it on CC or just accept it? Or rationalize how it saves them money because they are only paying for what they eat? And why be upset about the pizza but not about the housekeeping?

I suppose people new to cruising won't know the thousand cuts that have already occurred, and either they will enjoy the first experience and come back for more or they will be one-and-done. There are more than a few old timers on CC who have proclaimed that they are leaving or at least reducing the number of cruises they take on Royal. And then there are those who are just happy to be on the ship (including me, for now at least). But I always expected to eventually phase out cruise vacations before all these changes hit because all good things must end.

Right now the cruise industry seems to be enjoying the post-pandemic surge, but it is just a surge and eventually the pendulum swings back. If and when they eliminate twice daily housekeeping from the suites then I will be upset because those suites are expensive and I pay for them because I want to be pampered while on vacation. If I was in a cheap inside cabin then I wouldn't care so much. Or a cabin in the woods.

14 minutes ago, Pratique said:

If and when they eliminate twice daily housekeeping from the suites then I will be upset because those suites are expensive and I pay for them because I want to be pampered while on vacation

Making a bed and putting a towel animal down for the 2nd servicing doesn't make me feel too pampered.

Our cabin service was such a negative on our last cruise.  We had MyTime Dining and had the earliest reservation possible (6:45 or 7:00) and the steward would inevitably show up at 6:00 when we would be back in the cabin getting ready for dinner.  We'd have to leave for the other cabin (family of four with two cabins) and then switch again when one cabin was done so he could do the other.  It was so noticeable and frustrating, but we (1) weren't getting ready for dinner at 5:00pm to avoid it and (2) didn't want to pick morning due to wanting to sleep later on vacation.  I think if we had early dining like we usually do, the 6:00 would have been right in the middle of dinner and all would have been just fine, but this go around was not good.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Making a bed and putting a towel animal down for the 2nd servicing doesn't make me feel too pampered.

It's more than that in a suite. Fresh ice, fresh bath and pool towels, a copy of the Compass, clearing out plates, cups and silverware we used in the room during the day, and the turndown, among other things.

1 hour ago, PattyW said:

Our cabin service was such a negative on our last cruise.  We had MyTime Dining and had the earliest reservation possible (6:45 or 7:00) and the steward would inevitably show up at 6:00 when we would be back in the cabin getting ready for dinner.  We'd have to leave for the other cabin (family of four with two cabins) and then switch again when one cabin was done so he could do the other.  It was so noticeable and frustrating, but we (1) weren't getting ready for dinner at 5:00pm to avoid it and (2) didn't want to pick morning due to wanting to sleep later on vacation.  I think if we had early dining like we usually do, the 6:00 would have been right in the middle of dinner and all would have been just fine, but this go around was not good.

In that case I'd absolutely look him in the eye and say he'd have to come back later. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

As you mention in your last sentence, it's not part of the experience any longer.  Period.  End of story.  Just like chocolates on the pillows, midnight buffets, unlimited lobster, etc.  

Yes, a handful of folks are happy with once a day housekeeping.  Others are "it is what it is" (that's where I fall).  Still others are gnashing their teeth and getting their pitchforks out.

Sailing full in the near - mid term does NOT  make you a successful company long term ! The motivation comes if you have brains enough at the top to recognize IF the 'loyals '  are being pushed to far. I don't know IF they have been yet and I don't know IF the brains will know IF that happens .

Cheers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I don't break my bottles before putting them in my recycle bin at home, no way I am breaking glass in a cruise ship cabin.

I was thinking something similar. I can't imagine my room attendant would be too thrilled if i started stomping on soda cans right on the carpet in the room. There is always a little liquid left in the can that would be all over the floor. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Sailing full in the near - mid term does NOT  make you a successful company long term ! The motivation comes if you have brains enough at the top to recognize IF the 'loyals '  are being pushed to far. I don't know IF they have been yet and I don't know IF the brains will know IF that happens .

Cheers

The slump has already started for Disney World.   

-----------------

On the general topic of 1x room cleaning, and other cuts.   (Background, I am here researching for my starter cruise in Feb)   I keep thinking of that 1984 Royal pamphlet someone posted that showed the prices then were basically the same as I am paying for our Feb 2024 cruise.  In raw dollars.  So, for the prices I paid, I'm willing to put up with 1X cleaning, and I'll bring my own darn chocolates (much better ones from Canada, Mrs. C-something.)   But, even if we really liked the cruise, if the prices were 3X what I paid (like they are now), I wouldn't buy.   

Other note, I strongly suspect that we fit the profile of the customer Royal is trying to tempt.   We are in our 50's and have a teen child.  We have enough money to take 2-3 vacations a year, and a great many expected able-bodied years ahead of us.  The teen causes us to look for vacations with 'stuff to do'.   

11 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Other note, I strongly suspect that we fit the profile of the customer Royal is trying to tempt.   We are in our 50's and have a teen child.  We have enough money to take 2-3 vacations a year, and a great many expected able-bodied years ahead of us.  The teen causes us to look for vacations with 'stuff to do'.

The issue is that Royal used to be a step up from Carnival, and I suspect NCL and MSC (haven't cruised NCL or MSC so no personal knowledge). One of the plus's for me was always the availability of Escargot and French Onion soup every night, and very good food in the MDR. That was one of the first things to go after the restart. Even when there was an Escargot shortage in 2019, Royal still had it available every night. Minor cutback after minor cutback is (or maybe has at this point) bringing Royal down to the same level as CCL/NCL/MSC. No reason to pay more for Royal if the product is the same as can be found on the other lines also chasing the kid/teen with 40's/50's parents.

I am where you will be soon. Mid 50's with 23-24 YO daughters. My cruises are usually with either the wife or the younger daughter (I have more PTO than wife, older daughter is step-daughter). Younger one has been with me on Harmony (2019), Carnival Elation (2020), HAL Rotterdam, the new one (2022), and Explorer (2022). She would happily cruise with me on HAL again, although she would miss the flowrider. Granted, the kid is spoiled. Somehow I always end up in Junior suites with her. Luckily the wife is OK with balconies. I am looking to squeeze in a short cruise for all of us later this year, and from what I have looked at so far Celebrity is offering the better value.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

Not disagreeing on any of that.  It will take time (years if not decades) to see if their decisions have a negative, neutral, or positive impact on the company.  

My room attendant was almost apologetic when asking if I needed am or evening.I chose am as I always found I was always getting ready when twice a day. The only thing I asked was it possible to have an ice bucket in the evening, which was always delivered.

The facts are costs have increased world wide, so whilst cutting room service to once per day and therefore staff have more rooms to service makes some saving for RCG after increased labour cost. That is not the only reason I believe for this change. Since COVID there is also a shortage of workers.

21 minutes ago, 24acorns said:

Since COVID there is also a shortage of workers.

I don't understand why that is.   Not challenging the fact, since I don't know otherwise. but I don't understand.  That made sense in places that were paying people to stay home.   But, now?   What is the logic?  

I also wonder if the problem is that Royal, and some other places, just isn't paying enough?  

On 8/15/2023 at 7:19 PM, Rusty_lock said:

This.  Also, I don't go on a cruise to get the same experience one might get in a hotel.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I don't break my bottles before putting them in my recycle bin at home, no way I am breaking glass in a cruise ship cabin.

6 hours ago, Falling_down said:

I was thinking something similar. I can't imagine my room attendant would be too thrilled if i started stomping on soda cans right on the carpet in the room. There is always a little liquid left in the can that would be all over the floor. 😂

OMG people! Bottles on a cruise ship are plastic. Soda cans can be easily crushed without stomping on the floor. Easy enough to shake out that last drop in the sink and crush by hand for most people.