Considering NCL, looking for info

carribbound

I am a Carnival cruiser considering trying NCL d/t lack of interest in Carnivals boring and repetitive itineraries. I have a couple questions. 
 Booking looks to include excursions, flight, WiFi and specialty dining. Do you have to book dining and excursions considerably in advance to even get a chance at getting on them? Same with specialty dining. Is it difficult to get any availability?

Is the WiFi okay? On Carnival, I am able to make WiFi calls without any trouble. Can I expect the same on NCL?

And are the flights awful times bringing you in at the last minute with connections??

I am assuming the worst. Looking for some reassurance that it won’t be. 

Thanks in advance. 

Read the fine print, NCL will book you discount flights that are usually cheaper than what you would book, but many get what they pay for (nothing like 8 pm to fly home). Free dining is for the first 2 passengers, 2 nights on a 7 night cruise, you will just pay the gratuities. Drink package is for the first 2 guests, but you pay the gratuity (around $20 ppp pd). I think the excursion is up to $50 off an excursion for the 1st person on the reservation. 

Everything you ask is addressed in numerous threads here. I'm not trying to avoid a response, but there are sooooo many ways to answer the questions you ask (good questions, by the way), that it would take a long time, and just duplicate what's elsewhere.

A lot of what you ask depends on your personal preferences, the ship, the itinerary, the time of year, etc., etc. That's especially true for reservations. Wifi worked great for me on the Getaway, but others report horrible results for other ships/locations. (I never made a wifi call)

There are several recent threads addressing NCL air, and there are numerous nuances addressed in those too. Some are happy with it, but most here don't seem to be. However, it never seems to be an issue of 'last minute arrivals'.

Please browse the threads, and post individual questions in them. And good luck!

My WiFi experience on ships has been mixed.  In March I was on the NCL Breakaway, which has StarLink, and was fine.  Until other ships have been changed over, I expect crappy internet service.  There is limited specialty dining availability to pre-book, so many people will be booking that as soon as they get on-board.  I plan ahead, and I've never had a problem with the specialty dining availability. I can't comment on the excursions, as I usually book independent excursions, and don't use the cruise line.

We've done 3 cruises with NCL making the flight arrangements.  All 3 times the flight choices have been ones that I would have made myself.  I have not had any connections less than 75 minutes.  I fly from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada, so my flight options are pretty bad to start with.  I suggest getting into your departure port a day or two ahead of time so that you can explore it, and enjoy it, so if you are having NCL do your airfare, make sure to ask for a deviation so that they plan for your flights to arrive on different days.

Regarding flights, keep in mind if you are trying to go East to West, you can likely make it the same day. But going West to East, you either need to be a day or two sooner, or expect an overnight / red-eye flight.  For my European cruise in August, I'll need 2 connections, both layovers are about 2 hours long.  On our return we only have 1 connection, and the layover is about 3 hours.

OMAHABOB, thanks. I know how to use cruise critic. I wanted fresh opinions. How do you know I didn’t already do that? You assume I didn’t. Fresh opinions today. So if it bothers you to see a post like mine, feel free to scroll on by. 🙂 Because your response mucks up the thread and sends the message that you don’t want to help and only hinder. But thanks for your info on the WiFi. 

To the others that responded, I really appreciate your responses. I feel like NCL has a challenging site to use and didn’t see fine print but I am going to look closer now. Startling internet, I think I heard that before and should’ve known. 

Good to know about the flights. Seems promising that you got what you would’ve booked on your own . I am flying from MN to Miami. I like to get in a day early mostly to be on the safe side d/t winter weather. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for jumping to conclusions. I have no idea if you've already searched or not, and you didn't specify you wanted 'new' opinions. I'm not bothered at all by posts like yours, but you seem to be bothered that other people aren't clairvoyant enough to know what you have or haven't already done. It also makes it difficult for all when many duplicate threads are created on the same topic, as you should well know. I was just trying to help. But if you want to be difficult like that, be my guest. You wouldn't exactly be the first person on an internet forum with a bad attitude.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, carribbound said:

I am a Carnival cruiser considering trying NCL d/t lack of interest in Carnivals boring and repetitive itineraries. I have a couple questions. 
 Booking looks to include excursions, flight, WiFi and specialty dining. Do you have to book dining and excursions considerably in advance to even get a chance at getting on them? Same with specialty dining. Is it difficult to get any availability?

If you included the free at sea, you will get a $50 discount at each port (that's for the first person on the reservation. You can then book excursions separately. Wifi is included in free at sea - up to 300 minutes. Each time you use the wifi, then you need to "log off", otherwise you use up all the minutes. Specialty dining you can reserve (along with free dining) either 120 days in advance (125+ for platinum reward members and above).  I've been on ships where we didn't book in advance and didn't have an issue. I have been told by an NCL rep on the phone that they only make 20% of restaurants available for reservations before sailing (others have been told different percentages) My last cruise, I booked all reservations in advance (except a couple) as it was a large ship and pretty full (the Epic). On other sailings, we didn't make any reservations. You can always try and change times/restaurants on the ship, if you book something that isn't your first choice. 

Is the WiFi okay? On Carnival, I am able to make WiFi calls without any trouble. Can I expect the same on NCL?

I've used the wifi, and sometimes it's slow when everyone is awake, but I just use it mostly for social media or email, I've never made calls.

And are the flights awful times bringing you in at the last minute with connections??

I am assuming the worst. Looking for some reassurance that it won’t be. 

Thanks in advance. 

I've never used NCL air, but I have read alot of horror stories using them. I prefer to have control over what flights to choose, seats, etc..

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

If you included the free at sea, you will get a $50 discount at each port (that's for the first person on the reservation.

Is it really $50 at each port?  I know it used to be but it shows on our reservation differently than it used to.  But we also never used it before and will most likely do so for the September cruise.

8 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Is it really $50 at each port?  I know it used to be but it shows on our reservation differently than it used to.  But we also never used it before and will most likely do so for the September cruise.

Yes $50 per cabin, per port. How much discount does yours show? Depending on latitude rewards, you may get a further discount.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-deals/free-at-sea

11 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

The benefit is not limited to $50 per port (for the first passenger on the reservation, or passengers 1 & 2 if FAS+ is purchased).  If passengers select several excursions at a port that do not over-lap timing in port, then eligible passenger(s), may take as many excursions with the discount applied to each (again, 1st passenger ...in most cases) as time allows.

An example might be: At GSC you book a Villa, but also wish to zip-line, and take a boat excursion.

All are bookable with the $50 discount as long as the timing between zipline and boat have a bif enough time span.

I hope this helped!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

The benefit is not limited to $50 per port (for the first passenger on the reservation, or passengers 1 & 2 if FAS+ is purchased).  If passengers select several excursions at a port that do not over-lap timing in port, then eligible passenger(s), may take as many excursions with the discount applied to each (again, 1st passenger ...in most cases) as time allows.

An example might be: At GSC you book a Villa, but also wish to zip-line, and take a boat excursion.

All are bookable with the $50 discount as long as the timing between zipline and boat have a bif enough time span.

I hope this helped!

Good to know!

• Like 1

I don’t see a way to book online just a flat rate room without the frills and thrills that are “included”. Can this be done over the phone? If possible, are the prices better for a room only fee?

thanks

Just now, carribbound said:

I don’t see a way to book online just a flat rate room without the frills and thrills that are “included”. Can this be done over the phone? If possible, are the prices better for a room only fee?

thanks

Just unselect the free at sea items and it'll reduce your price. I don't select the drink package and that reduces my total. It's technically not "free at sea".

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

Just unselect the free at sea items and it'll reduce your price. I don't select the drink package and that reduces my total. It's technically not "free at sea".

Only the drink package and the specialty dining wll cost you anything, but the specialty dining won't cost you much at all!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carribbound said:

I am a Carnival cruiser considering trying NCL d/t lack of interest in Carnivals boring and repetitive itineraries.

NCL has a lot of repetitive itineraries as well.  

I do strongly prefer NCL, or at least I have to date.  I find them to be a good value: not the cheapest but the benefits justify the cost.

Others have answered most of the questions but, briefly:

• Specialty dining is accessible for all.  You may not get that 7 PM reservation at Cagney's on the last night of the cruise, but you'll get in most anywhere if you book in advance and are flexible on times.  Sometimes, you might even luck out on a walk-up.
  • Similarly, popular excursions sell out.  Book early.
  • Unless you're on a ship recently wired with Starlink (Breakaway might be it at the moment?) Wifi is gonna suck.  It's OK for email and surfing but nothing bandwidth intensive.
  • If you take advantage of the 2 for 1 air, manage your expectations.  You might be pleasantly surprised but you may also be in the middle seat on a redeye.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carribbound said:

thanks

There are two options via NCL for what you are asking. 

• The least expensive option is by booking a "Sail Away" room.  However, they do not always have thos available.  With this fare, you simply get to pick your stateroom category (Inside, Ocean View, Balcony, for example)   You will not get to select your exact room.  One in that category will be assigned to you (anytime from just after booking to just before the cruise)  You will not be offered the "free at sea" options.  They are excluded from this fare type.  (except for the $50 shore excursion credit)
  • The other option is to pick whatever cabin you wish within whichever category you wish and simply de-select the Drink Package and the Specialty Dining package in the appropriate screen.  This will remove the Free at Sea Gratuities associated with those program benefits.  You will still get Wifi and shore excursion credit benefits.

I've seen the CABIN RATE pricing for these two options be apart anywhere from $30pp to $150pp depending upon the cruise.

Here's an example of the option on a cruise we are on at the end of the month:

image.thumb.png.447179f3b311f6118c2d9809c94ad3e0.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

The other option is to pick whatever cabin you wish within whichever category you wish and simply de-select the Drink Package and the Specialty Dining package in the appropriate screen.  This will remove the Free at Sea Gratuities associated with those program benefits.  You will still get Wifi and shore excursion credit benefits

Not all cruises allow you to select a specific cabin, even with the non-sail away category.  Sometimes the cabins are offered simply as guarantee, such as the case with the category I booked for a sailing next year (I booked an inside with perks but I didn't have the option to select the cabin at the time of booking, a balcony is also a 'guarantee' with perks but without cabin selection).  

23 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Drink package is for the first 2 guests, but you pay the gratuity (around $20 ppp pd).

I believe every one over 21 in a cabin is required to get (and gets via FAS) the drink package if anyone has it.

1 minute ago, Grimix said:

I believe every one over 21 in a cabin is required to get (and gets via FAS) the drink package if anyone has it.

Is this new? In the past just the first 2 got the FAS and no one else needed to purchase anything (and if they chose to they’d pay OOP, just like the dining plan).

I did my first NCL cruise last October, so it's been since at least then. We had the FAS and added the upgraded beverage package (our Father-in-law came with us.) All 3 us got the FAS, and had to upgrade to the upgraded beverage package. The 3 kids got nothing. Although the bartenders did make them drinks and not charge them. Your results may vary! (This was in the Haven as well, but other than maybe the kids getting 'free' drinks, I don't think that had anything to do with it.)

As noted above, the excursions are not included - just a $50 discount for the first passenger.   Just be careful with booking private excursions - NCL has had issues with changing itineraries and cancelling ports after final payment and so you need to be especially cautious with checking the private excursion refund policies if you don't dock.  There have recently been reported issues on the Spirit cancelling the inside passage in Alaska after final payment, Panama Canal cruises   cancelling Costa Rica for safety reasons and replacing it with Aculpulco.