Fish Sandwich

ymncruise

5 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

Past Bermuda visitors:  where can you get the best fish sandwich on the island?

You're going to get 300 answers. Personally the one I like the most at the moment (and it changes from year to year) is at the Crown & Anchor Bar at the Hamilton Princess Hotel-- just off the lobby. It's a little more expensive than others but you can taste the difference in the ingredients.

I'm also a big fan of Art Mel's Spicy Dicy which isn't far from Hamilton but does require a taxi. Its very good, and a lot of folks swear by it, but it does take some effort and taxi fare to pull off. 

• Thanks 1

We just got home from Bermuda today. We walked to Art Mels from the ferry pier in Hamilton and it took about an half an hour. You obviously could get a taxi, but we enjoy walking. There isn't anywhere to sit and eat at Art Mel's, so we walked down the street to Pembroke playground and ate at a picnic table in the park. We have had his fish sandwich before, and I think it is definitely the best one in Bermuda! It is HUGE, so we got one to split, done the traditional way on cinnamon raisin bread with coleslaw and hot sauce. It was delicious!

1-1.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ddmeow said:

We just got home from Bermuda today. We walked to Art Mels from the ferry pier in Hamilton and it took about an half an hour. You obviously could get a taxi, but we enjoy walking. There isn't anywhere to sit and eat at Art Mel's, so we walked down the street to Pembroke playground and ate at a picnic table in the park. We have had his fish sandwich before, and I think it is definitely the best one in Bermuda! It is HUGE, so we got one to split, done the traditional way on cinnamon raisin bread with coleslaw and hot sauce. It was delicious!

1-1.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

Is it worth the taxi ride to go to Art Mel's to try this? What is the cost of taxi ride's in Bermuda anyway?

48 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

Is it worth the taxi ride to go to Art Mel's to try this? What is the cost of taxi ride's in Bermuda anyway?

Mt suggestion is take a ferry to Hamilton and then a taxi to Art Mei's. It is a short ride. Ask the driver to wait as there is not seating then have the taxi drop you off at the waterfront park near the ferry terminal where you can eat your sandwich. 

It is worth the ride if you want to say you had the fish sandwich at Art Mel's. Alternativly you can take a taxi or bus to Woody's which is not far from the Dockyard and they have seating. Which is better is subjective, Since it is much easier to get to Woodys going to Art Mel's gives people bragging rights. I like walking but I would not walk to Art Mel's. 

Edited by Charles4515

46 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is worth the ride if you want to say you had the fish sandwich at Art Mel's

Agree-- its like going to New York and saying you had a pastrami sandwich at Katz's. Like Katz's it does live up to the hype-- it's very good. But there are also plenty of good pastrami sandwiches in NYC. 

47 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I like walking but I would not walk to Art Mel's. 

I also agree here-- not a great walk. A lot of it is on the working side of the island (think past the trash composition station) that doesn't really offer a visitor much to see anyway. 

14 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

Thanks for the input.

I've read pretty bad reviews on Woody's and better one's for Art Mel's which is the main reason why I would want to give it a try if it isn't too out of the way.

What is the cost of a taxi ride usually? 

Where did you read the bad reviews? The reviews I have read of Woody's were all good. 

48 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Where did you read the bad reviews? The reviews I have read of Woody's were all good. 

Wife read it on either TripAdvisor or Yelp. One of those or both. 

Complaints were really 45 minute wait for a sandwich and the staff was pretty rude to tourists. 

I get the tourist part since I'm from NYC and tourists do annoy the crap out of me, but 45 minutes for a sandwich? I don't want to try it that bad.

Art Mel's on the other hand had great reviews. I guess cause it isn't a sit down shop, the wait isn't too long. It's just getting to it is a hassle.

35 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

Wife read it on either TripAdvisor or Yelp. One of those or both. 

Complaints were really 45 minute wait for a sandwich and the staff was pretty rude to tourists. 

I get the tourist part since I'm from NYC and tourists do annoy the crap out of me, but 45 minutes for a sandwich? I don't want to try it that bad.

Art Mel's on the other hand had great reviews. I guess cause it isn't a sit down shop, the wait isn't too long. It's just getting to it is a hassle.

No Yelp in Bermuda. I read the TripAdvisor reviews and the 45 minute wait one person reported was on a Sunday and it was packed. Woody’s is a local favorite. I looked at the Art Mel’s reviews and they are still pretty positive. So there is the hassle of getting to it Art Mel’s and no seating versus seating at Woodys and easy to get to…..I think the fish sandwiches at both are pretty good. I don’t think the 45 minute wait at Woody’s is usual but I can see the allure of Art Mel’s based on reputation. Take your pick. There are also great fish sandwiches at other restaurants in Bermuda. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

No Yelp in Bermuda. I read the TripAdvisor reviews and the 45 minute wait one person reported was on a Sunday and it was packed. Woody’s is a local favorite. I looked at the Art Mel’s reviews and they are still pretty positive. So there is the hassle of getting to it Art Mel’s and no seating versus seating at Woodys and easy to get to…..I think the fish sandwiches at both are pretty good. I don’t think the 45 minute wait at Woody’s is usual but I can see the allure of Art Mel’s based on reputation. Take your pick. There are also great fish sandwiches at other restaurants in Bermuda. 

I'm wondering if there would be any vendors during the Harbour Nights that would sell fish sandwiches as well since this is a local favorite it seems. I might just pass by Woody's and see how the wait for one is since I think we're going to the Gibb's (sp?) Lighthouse and I believe its on the way.

26 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

I'm wondering if there would be any vendors during the Harbour Nights that would sell fish sandwiches as well since this is a local favorite it seems. I might just pass by Woody's and see how the wait for one is since I think we're going to the Gibb's (sp?) Lighthouse and I believe its on the way.

They are both on the South Shore Road. I have never seen fish sandwiches at Harbour Night but being a street fair the vendors are not the same every time. The Portuguese Donuts are always there and I recommend those. There is a restaurant on Front St., Rosa's Cantina that has  a reputation for a great fish sandwich. I never tried one there but they won the best award a few times. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chiapet said:

Art Mel’s hands down … absolutely worth the walk/taxi for us.  Just happen to be on our way down to Bermuda now on Norwegian Joy arriving tomorrow … and will hit this up for sure 👍

I agree, Art Mels is worth it. It really isn't a bad walk...only about half an hour and lots to see on the way.

17 minutes ago, DC225 said:

Do they put mayonnaise on the fish sandwiches in Bermuda?  I'm guessing yes, but it's helpful to know for a mayo-hater like me.

Tartar sauce is an ingredient. Mayonnaise is an ingredient in tartar sauce. You could ask them to make it without the sauce. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, DC225 said:

Do they put mayonnaise on the fish sandwiches in Bermuda?  I'm guessing yes, but it's helpful to know for a mayo-hater like me.

At Art Mel's they asked what we wanted on it. We got it with tartar sauce, coleslaw and hot sauce on their cinnamon raisin bread. A person after us got it with lettuce, tomato and fried onions on wheat bread. You can really have it however you would like.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

We take the bus from Dockyard(very short ride) to Woody's on every visit to Bermuda.  Lots of local people and if you go just before noon you will wait.  Also plenty of seating at Woody's. Good sign if locals want to eat there. It was recommended to us by a local tour guy when we on the tour asked about Bermuda Fish Sandwich and he made a stop at Woody's for us.

Grab a table, get a beer and enjoy the crowd of locals and tourists while you wait.  But if you wait until after 1:30 you will not have to wait long at all.  There is also a room on the right side at Woody's where I think mostly locals go. 

Always enjoy the fish sandwich and find people on the island very nice.  We use the bus system a lot and have never experience a rude rider or driver.  So polite and helpful. 

1 hour ago, dazey said:

We take the bus from Dockyard(very short ride) to Woody's on every visit to Bermuda.  Lots of local people and if you go just before noon you will wait.  Also plenty of seating at Woody's. Good sign if locals want to eat there. It was recommended to us by a local tour guy when we on the tour asked about Bermuda Fish Sandwich and he made a stop at Woody's for us.

Grab a table, get a beer and enjoy the crowd of locals and tourists while you wait.  But if you wait until after 1:30 you will not have to wait long at all.  There is also a room on the right side at Woody's where I think mostly locals go. 

Always enjoy the fish sandwich and find people on the island very nice.  We use the bus system a lot and have never experience a rude rider or driver.  So polite and helpful. 

Hmmm ... Woody's may do in a pinch, but Art Mel's is just so much better if you can get there.  More fish, thicker bread, and options galore ... in this case, size absolutely does matter 😊

Google the pics and you'll see the difference right away!

31 minutes ago, chiapet said:

Hmmm ... Woody's may do in a pinch, but Art Mel's is just so much better if you can get there.  More fish, thicker bread, and options galore ... in this case, size absolutely does matter 😊

Seconded. Art Mels is not as easy to get to but I believe superior to Woodys and is my favorite in Bermuda. The Crown & Anchor Bar in the Fairmont Hamilton Princess downtown has a sleeper cell fish sandwich that, while expensive, is just about as good. When you factor in the taxi ride it's about as expensive as Art Mels. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Seconded. Art Mels is not as easy to get to but I believe superior to Woodys and is my favorite in Bermuda. The Crown & Anchor Bar in the Fairmont Hamilton Princess downtown has a sleeper cell fish sandwich that, while expensive, is just about as good. When you factor in the taxi ride it's about as expensive as Art Mels. 

Ooooh … we’ll have to try this!!  We’re back in Bermuda in March and still trying to decide what we want to do … but this gives us options.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it 😋

BTW …  how is the fish chowder at Crown & Anchor?  Our fav is at Wahoo’s in St. George’s  … but we can’t always get there. If it’s good at C&A … it’ll cover our fish sandwich and chowder cravings all in one place 👍