NCL Medical need to Cancel Cruise

cresx

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

True.  If not, then the obvious next step is to just cancel the ill person’s reservation.  He’ll have to eat the fare as it’s so close to the sail date.  But, I don’t know what else can be done?  Insurance or not, doesn’t really matter.  If you have it, you make a claim and see if they’ll cover a refund, depending on the insurance’s terms.  You’d be surprised how travel insurance tries to wiggle out of certain situations.  

He can be a no show. As for the air the question would be are other adults flying on the same flight. 

A question would be is the mother on the booking? Both the cruise and air? If the kids are still to go who who is their guardian? The mother or another adult?

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

He can be a no show. As for the air the question would be are other adults flying on the same flight. 

A question would be is the mother on the booking? Both the cruise and air? If the kids are still to go who who is their guardian? The mother or another adult?

Another adult would have to be in the cabin with the minor children.

@cresx  please let us know how things work out.  Hopefully you are more than 2 weeks out and a name change for the cabin can be made.  

Hopefully other adults are traveling on the same flight as the kids and can be their guardians.  I think the gentleman who can’t travel could just no show for his flight without disrupting the kids flights…but I’d call the airline direct to ask.  

🙏🏻Prayers for the gentleman for quick remission from the cancer.🙏🏻

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Good point.  That's probably the easiest way to do this.  Just have him as a "no show".  As far as what adult stays in what cabin, I'd invite an adult to take his place.  Tell them they're getting a heckuva deal and they can at least sail for free if they cover their own air fare.

4 hours ago, ilovesalchows said:

Be careful with the minors flying internationally.  You will likely need extra documentation if their parents aren't traveling with them.

International or domestic. Neither an airline, nor NCL, will let them board without a parent or a notarized affidavit naming a guardian.

It can be worked out with an airline -- doubtful with NCL.

Edited by RB9643

22 hours ago, Agent999 said:

Funny thing is that nobody posting before you ever said "you should have taken the insurance". In fact, nobody posting before you even asked "did you take the insurance".

It is not rude to question how others choose to respond? Why doesn't your post solely address the OP's question without the introductory scolding from the self-appointed board Karen? Does it make you feel better about yourself when you scold others?

The posts that included the “rude” commentary have since been removed and were not available for your review.  I was acknowledging, and in agreement, with those that felt the poster’s reply was rude, but likely in frustration to comments that others had immediately jumped to the the need for insurance.  Again, some of the earlier posts have been edited.  thanks for the “Karen” comment - do you feel better, now?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cruise52 said:

The posts that included the “rude” commentary have since been removed and were not available for your review.  I was acknowledging, and in agreement, with those that felt the poster’s reply was rude, but likely in frustration to comments that others had immediately jumped to the the need for insurance.  Again, some of the earlier posts have been edited.  thanks for the “Karen” comment - do you feel better, now?

Don't worry! I've been the group "scold," group "moderator" which I'm not btw, and other utterings...I love it and heartily acknowledge any terms of endearment laid upon me! 

Also....super cute dog you have! The two bundles of joy in my photo are English Cream. I sometimes wonder how they'd look in a more traditional retriever coat. 

15 hours ago, RB9643 said:

International or domestic. Neither an airline, nor NCL, will let them board without a parent or a notarized affidavit naming a guardian.

Incorrect. While you speak very authoritatively, that is NOT the requirement of the cruise line. No notarized affidavit is required. You do need a consent and release form. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No notarized affidavit is required. You do need a consent and release form.

Decided to find out if I was being misinformed by my attorney, or the bird.

While not answering specifically (he's a good friend but he's still an attorney), he did literally compare it to cruising with a birth certificate -- maybe you can, but is that the most prudent option?

So, there you go.  I'd get it notarized, whether absolutely necessary or not.

11 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Decided to find out if I was being misinformed by my attorney, or the bird.

While not answering specifically (he's a good friend but he's still an attorney), he did literally compare it to cruising with a birth certificate -- maybe you can, but is that the most prudent option?

So, there you go.  I'd get it notarized, whether absolutely necessary or not.

Bad Bad Advice. If you show up for your cruise with just have a notarized affidavit, you will be denied boarding. You are required to complete the cruise line's Consent and Release form, signed by parents, along with copies of their Government issued identification. Lacking the requisite cruise line documentation, you can cruise, but the kids will be left on the pier. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 7:36 PM, RB9643 said:

It can be worked out with an airline -- doubtful with NCL.

You may think this would be true but airlines will definitely let minors board international flights without either of those things. When I taught, I took multiple student groups abroad on spring break trips (ages 13-18). Though I had parents fill out paperwork for me to show the airlines if requested, never once did any agent for any of the airlines we used ask to see any documentation that showed that the kids had permission to travel with me. It is actually quite concerning when you think about it...

• Like 1

Although agents may not always check, it's still airline policy. And that policy can also vary from airline to airline. Maybe the airline you experienced hadn't been sued yet. That usually motivates them pretty nicely.

23 hours ago, cruise52 said:

Sorry you have to deal with the name calling here, but it's a pretty typical reply. Don't let it get to you. 😉

On 7/4/2023 at 8:03 PM, GORDONCHICK said:

You should be able to put another adult in that cabin, then cancel the gentleman with cancer. You may be able to just replace him with another adult.  It used to be a $50 change fee to do that but I don't know about now.

To add another person would add another fare. They would become the 4th but, I assume one of the minors already paid the big fare so a 4th might be cheap.

51 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

To add another person would add another fare. They would become the 4th but, I assume one of the minors already paid the big fare so a 4th might be cheap.

The scenario you quoted wasn't adding another person.  It was changing out one person for another one, and it used to be a $50 fee to do that.  But I think we may have passed the window to be able to do that and it probably isn't only $50 anymore