Which itinerary after cancelled Beyond cruise?

Lemons4Days

My cruise on Beyond next summer was canceled. I've never been on a cruise so I'm not sure how common that is. I booked three IV rooms (grandparents, teens, and my husband and I). I was given $100 per room credit. I'd like to book to get this 4th of July sale, but who knows...maybe that's just another gimmick.

Option #1: Celebrity Ascent with a similar itinerary to the Beyond, except one less night I think. The main issue is that the 3 IV rooms are each nearly $2k more expensive (for a total of $6k more) than my original booking on the Beyond. It just seems like soooo much more considering I had booked at a price I was happy with. Is it worth it to have this brand new boat? I could reduce rooms down to 2 and put one kid in with grandparents and one in with us, or try to book an interior room for the kids, but in any scenario it's way more expensive. Another issue is this cruise ends in Barcelona instead of Rome so I have to fly everyone back to Italy to continue our land based travel in Florence. I'd love this ship but I feel like the added expense may annoy me too much. 

Option #2: Celebrity Equinox with a similar itinerary to the Ascent. I was resistant to this older ship because I had done a lot of research and was sooo looking forward to the Beyond. Now that I've had a chance to get over my disappointment, it seems like the Equinox could be a good fit for us. There are only two sea days but my boys would love the basketball court as they are super active. And the cost for 3 extended balcony rooms is less even than the Beyond. I like that there is a functional balcony as my husband wakes by 530 every day. I'm just worried it looks a little tired? Even the PR pics on the website of the cabins look a little outdated. 

What do all you experienced cruisers think? We are only doing a cruise in order to accomodate elderly grandparents and I'm not sure we would do another one if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help!

11 minutes ago, Lemons4Days said:

What do all you experienced cruisers think? We are only doing a cruise in order to accomodate elderly grandparents and I'm not sure we would do another one if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help!

Personally, I’d go with option #2. Equinox is one of my favorite ships.  A true balcony will be much more functional for you.

Jane

• Like 4

I sailed on Equinox in February; she is in great shape.  As JaneStarr said,  “true” balcony cannot be beat.  If your cabins are next to each other, your steward can unlock the balcony dividers for one large space.  
Whichever you decide, a family cruise will be a wonderful memory.

Susan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

Sorry also to read that your sailing was canceled.  Cruising is a great way to seeing lots of ports of call.

Thanks! It was a disappointing first experience with booking a cruise. Hopefully smooth sailing now, haha

Proper balcony? As opposed to the IV? I’d have booked the proper balcony in the first place 😁 not helpful I know.

I’m not a fan of E class though unfortunately husband is. I prefer S class, so go for it. It’s a great way to travel. Lots of places & you unpack once. 

Thanks all! I appreciate the help. I was leaning towards the Equinox anyway so I booked it. I think if Celebrity had offered price protection I may have gone with the Ascent. But I live in Australia so I can try the Edge when it goes to New Zealand from Sydney 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lemons4Days said:

My cruise on Beyond next summer was canceled. I've never been on a cruise so I'm not sure how common that is.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  I'm glad my colleagues have treated you well so far.  We're generally a nice group.

There are a couple of other threads about the cancellation of the Beyond and its downstream effects.  Pre-pandemic, cancellations of cruises less than a year in advance were rare.  I assume they still will be, though it's too early to know for sure. 

I'm sorry for the loss of your cruise.  I would also pick the Equinox from your list of options.  You and your extended family are likely to enjoy it.  Have a great cruise!

I would go with the Equinox. There are actually things available on the " S " class ships that are not on the "E" class. These " E " class ships seem to be slanted mainly to the Suite passengers with regard to amenities / The " S " class ships offer more amenities to all onboard IMHO.

I hope you book something you like and have a great cruise ⛴️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Proper balcony? As opposed to the IV? I’d have booked the proper balcony in the first place 😁 not helpful I know.

I’m not a fan of E class though unfortunately husband is. I prefer S class, so go for it. It’s a great way to travel. Lots of places & you unpack once. 

E class is great if you can find a real balcony.  I was on the Beyond.

• Like 1