Temperatures on Queen Mary 2 Southampton - New York in July

Frank183

Dear all,

my wife and me will be next week on QM2 to New York. Now, we are looking at a hot summer, but what temperatures can be expect in the midst of the Atlantic? Do we need a warm jacket if we want to be outside after the sun has set? And what are the chances to experience heavy weather in July?

Thanks a lot and best regards

Frank

Even if the sun is shining and the waters fairly still, it can be quite chilly on the promenade deck and balcony. And that can be at midday, never mind sunset! Now if you work out how the wind is blowing then you can arrange your circuit direction such that on the windward side you have the wind on your back rather than face.

I don't think you specifically need a warm jacket, what I would do is get a jacket that covers more of the body (unfortunately a hoodie is ideal! A good quality sweater and woolly cap may be more socially acceptable) and then have thin layers available to provide any temperature correction. This saves space and weight in the luggage and gives you flexibility if it's windy but not actually that cold - which can be a factor as you get near a land mass.

I think my most bouncy TA was in the former QE2 in mid summer. The QM2 is a lot more stable (and doesn't have all the creaking wood that QE2 had!).

Remember the prevailing wind is westerly, and QM2 is sailing into it at, probably, 23 kts. This can turn a harmless breeze into a gale. The temperature should be pleasant enough, but not warm. Often the sea temp. is slightly higher, according to the info.

Edited by exlondoner

Thank you so much for your replies! Oh yes, I hadn't thought about the headwind.

While we are at it: how serious are they about the clothing? I have no intentions to run around in sweatpants and sneakers, but are decent blue jeans and a decent sweatshirt or jumper acceptable during the day? Is suit and tie required for the meals (except for the special events), or would suit pants and a decent shirt do? I don't have wear formal wear for my job, so I don't really want to buy clothes for this trip that will only hang in the closet afterwards and pick up dust.

Another thing: we got assigned cabin 8002 which is in the very front. Is this a disadvantage in terms of wind and ship movement? Thanks a lot!!!

Often wind speeds are 50+ kts on the Atlantic and there are areas of fog that affect the “real-feel” temperature. In last week’s Crossing, we had two warm beautiful sunny days, two foggy days, and really three windy days. The varied weather is part of the adventure. Being on the QM2 in all that varied weather is a big part of the adventure. 
I wore a Nautica 1/4 zip type top and added a windbreaker as needed. 
Layer up, even in August. 

10 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Thank you so much for your replies! Oh yes, I hadn't thought about the headwind.

While we are at it: how serious are they about the clothing? I have no intentions to run around in sweatpants and sneakers, but are decent blue jeans and a decent sweatshirt or jumper acceptable during the day? Is suit and tie required for the meals (except for the special events), or would suit pants and a decent shirt do? I don't have wear formal wear for my job, so I don't really want to buy clothes for this trip that will only hang in the closet afterwards and pick up dust.

Another thing: we got assigned cabin 8002 which is in the very front. Is this a disadvantage in terms of wind and ship movement? Thanks a lot!!!

Jeans are fine during the day.

Trousers and a collared shirt are OK for non formal nights, but most people wear jackets, sometimes even ties.

The clothes you buy won’t be wasted because you’ll probably book more trips.🙂

Thanks a lot! Well, I consider this as a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but who knows...😊

Anything else to consider for somebody who has so far only experience with regular one-stop-a-day cruise ships?

You have to remember, it is the Atlantic Ocean!

Having crossed 10 times, and doing the round trip again in August this year, we've had lumpy and foggy days in summer, and flat calm sunny days in winter.

On Gala nights, 95% of men will be in Black Tie. On other nights, the majority will be in jackets with most wearing a tie.

Cunard crossings are the most formal at sea.

• Thanks 1

There are numerous posts on this site about the dress code so check them out.  Lots of interesting comments…
The official Cunard site explains the evening dress code, kinda.
Bottom line: Many people go on Cunard to fully participate in the evening dress code and a vast majority of pax dress up for Gala nights and many dress above the minimum requirements on Smart Attire nights. A suit and tie is fine for Gala Nights but expect to see many in dinner jackets/tux’s. Don’t worry about the Theme nights, especially if there’s a masquerade theme. Just enjoy an atmosphere that you don’t see too often these days. 
(There is no stated dress code during the day). 

Remember, this is not a cruise so get into the mindset that being on the QM2 itself is the actual destination, not an itinerary of cruise ports. You’ll be at sea for 6/7 nights so that’s a different experience too. You’ll be as busy as you want to be. 

Edited by NE John

10 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Thanks a lot! Well, I consider this as a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but who knows...😊

Anything else to consider for somebody who has so far only experience with regular one-stop-a-day cruise ships?

In 1997, we booked a once in a lifetime crossing on QE2, coming back in Concorde. Concorde was once in a lifetime, but we have been on Cunard nearly every year since then, and, as a result, are pretty broke. 🙂

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

but we have been on Cunard nearly every year since then, and, as a result, are pretty broke. 🙂

This is exactly what scares so much about your remark... 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, NE John said:

There are numerous posts on this site about the dress code so check them out.  Lots of interesting comments…
[...]

Remember, this is not a cruise so get into the mindset that being on the QM2 itself is the actual destination, not an itinerary of cruise ports. You’ll be at sea for 6/7 nights so that’s a different experience too. You’ll be as busy as you want to be. 

Ok, will check out the other posts. Yes, I know that QM2 is the actualy destination and I am so much looking forward to that. In 2007 we took the trans siberian railway from Moscow to Beijing (think about that today...) a fantastic experience and this is what gave birth to the idea to once cross the Atlantic ocean the slow way. My question was just if there could be any other things you don't think about when you only know regular cruise ships. Oh, and yes, we are from a generation that still knows how to read a book, we don't need to be entertained all the time.. 😉

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

This is exactly what scares so much about your remark... 😆

And we made it even worse for ourselves. Because it was to be a one-off experience, we upgraded to a QG cabin. And have almost always booked them since. Doomed. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Oh, one more thing about the temperatures. Is it now in July (except for the chill factor due to wind and fog) somewhat constant at 20C / 70F on the ocean or can this also greatly vary?

Hard to be precise what with the wind, but I would guess it is nearer 18/64. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Ok, will check out the other posts. Yes, I know that QM2 is the actualy destination and I am so much looking forward to that. In 2007 we took the trans siberian railway from Moscow to Beijing (think about that today...) a fantastic experience and this is what gave birth to the idea to once cross the Atlantic ocean the slow way. My question was just if there could be any other things you don't think about when you only know regular cruise ships. Oh, and yes, we are from a generation that still knows how to read a book, we don't need to be entertained all the time.. 😉

The layout of the ship is like nothing you’ve seen before so always keep a map handy. It’ll take a few days to figure out how to get to certain places. There is a two story library onboard so take advantage of that. Afternoon teas are a Cunard tradition so do that several times. 
Bring a highlighter to mark the Daily Programme. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

The layout of the ship is like nothing you’ve seen before so always keep a map handy. It’ll take a few days to figure out how to get to certain places. There is a two story library onboard so take advantage of that. Afternoon teas are a Cunard tradition so do that several times. 
Bring a highlighter to mark the Daily Programme. 

QE and QV have two level libraries, QM2's is all one level on  8. I spent many a happy  hour sitting in the QM2 library alcove, reading, when I couldn't get off the ship due to knee issues.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Frank183 said:

My wife had several hundred titles on her e-reader.

She read as usual on the flights to and from Heathrow.

She had no time to use it on 14 days of a 2 way crossing.

1 minute ago, D&N said:

My wife had several hundred titles on her e-reader.

She read as usual on the flights to and from Heathrow.

She had no time to use it on 14 days of a 2 way crossing.

Is there so much to do? I had thought that opposed to a cruise ship there is not much entertainment during the day?

5 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Is there so much to do? I had thought that opposed to a cruise ship there is not much entertainment during the day?

Hands up, I'm not a QM2 fan at all but can't fault the daily programmes. There really is so much to do, from insight lectures to quizzes, recitals to Bridge and many things in between and that's without all the nibbles time in between the eating! Probably better than her sisters but then, l don't need to be entertained so am not too bothered about the daily programmes.

I like to take time out. curl [metaphorically now with a new knee! 😄] up with a good book and relax.

Whatever, enjoy. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cunard have perfected the 'too much to do' for crossings. There are multiple Insights lectures per day, multiple trivia rounds, concerts, movies, classes (watercolour, dancing, bridge tournaments & lessons...) Afternoon Tea is a must-do, never mind individual activities like going to the gym or the spa or the pool, walking the decks... 

Edited by neeuqdrazil
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

This was a Sea Day during our recent Mediterranean cruise on QM2. 

Screenshot_20230622_145237_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_145253_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_145302_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_145245_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1