Temperatures on Queen Mary 2 Southampton - New York in July

Frank183

4 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Is there so much to do? I had thought that opposed to a cruise ship there is not much entertainment during the day?

We're used to making our own.

I'm up about 7am and go to Pavilion and do all my news, banking, social media stuff on phone.

We go to breakfast about 8am (take all our meals in dining room).

Short period to digest that, change then gym, walk or swim.

Change, shower, rinse gym-wear and off to elevenses.

Change, quick look at shops (Radley bags might be 25% off one day of trip).

Lunch.

Possibly have an hours nap or wander around.

Coffee/tea/hot chocolate between 3 and 4 pm.

Back to cabin prepare for evening.

From 6 pm take photos/get pro photos taken, then go for aperitifs.

Dinner.

Queens Room for dancing

G32 for dancing 

Nightcap

Bed about midnight.

Didn't get to a lecture or show last time.

Hope to schedule better next time to take in all the dance lessons. Will miss out on zumba & line dancing though.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Frank183 said:

Thanks a lot! Well, I consider this as a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but who knows..

Our first Cunard sailing, a QM2 crossing in 2012, was also a once in a lifetime trip, to celebrate a special event.

We've been on a Cunard ship every year since, sometimes more than once, and are going on a world cruise in January 2024. Just saying....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

This was a Sea Day during our recent Mediterranean cruise on QM2. 

Screenshot_20230622_145237_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_145253_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_145302_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_145245_Chrome.jpg

Wow, I had never imagined that...

Are those classes like watercolour or bridge at extra charge?

18 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Hands up, I'm not a QM2 fan at all but can't fault the daily programmes. There really is so much to do, from insight lectures to quizzes, recitals to Bridge and many things in between and that's without all the nibbles time in between the eating! Probably better than her sisters but then, l don't need to be entertained so am not too bothered about the daily programmes.

I like to take time out. curl [metaphorically now with a new knee! 😄] up with a good book and relax.

Whatever, enjoy. 🙂

I too like to lounge on the balcony (if the weather conduces) reading, but I rarely get as much read as I expect. This is partly because of falling asleep, but more because of the fascination of the endless and endlessly changing sea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Oh, is there any common tipping policy for the staff?

Gratuities, now I think titled something like service charge, are charged per person per day to your onboard account.

There is no obligation to give anything else.

That question often leads to lengthy debate. Tipping cultures vary in different countries.

As Brits living in France, we felt the sums levied were a bit low in comparison with what we would tip if we went out for 3 meals a day and stayed at a nice hotel.  Those from US might be used to tipping far more.

It's a matter of personal choice, we tipped nominal sums to those we felt made the most impact on our enjoyment of the trip.

A table neighbour planned to tip the cabin stewardess handsomely because he felt guilty about his wife not removing makeup before bed, requiring changing of linen daily!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, D&N said:

We're used to making our own.

I'm up about 7am and go to Pavilion and do all my news, banking, social media stuff on phone.

We go to breakfast about 8am (take all our meals in dining room).

Short period to digest that, change then gym, walk or swim.

Change, shower, rinse gym-wear and off to elevenses.

Change, quick look at shops (Radley bags might be 25% off one day of trip).

Lunch.

Possibly have an hours nap or wander around.

Coffee/tea/hot chocolate between 3 and 4 pm.

Back to cabin prepare for evening.

From 6 pm take photos/get pro photos taken, then go for aperitifs.

Dinner.

Queens Room for dancing

G32 for dancing 

Nightcap

Bed about midnight.

Didn't get to a lecture or show last time.

Hope to schedule better next time to take in all the dance lessons. Will miss out on zumba & line dancing though.

In contrast the only time I have set foot in any of the gyms was when our muster drill on QM2 was there. I am still traumatised. They often have rather nice classical concerts in the Queens Room in the afternoons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

There is a charge for materials at the watercolour class. However, if you bring your own, including pad, it's free. It lasts 2 hours, so you get about one and a half hours to make a mess.

One of mine from last November:

AJFCJaUZ8Fohpe0NSbeTKtXqIhhrLjuFigrnFZQyKkRIWtXbRejS-s3UzxVgw68Q0sGwHhKulGnsZ7cbuhfF5G1YUkbRJdGHo-tfQI5CQbJWaIJx2K07icZfTNZGCT0uUz62_LczShVyVAG9JmH9QYoUlla8feQMHt9J5yHMOXrYOtjo9i1yqbL2YKuWcaq8H_NSP0PeQMoKKXMjbKtbTx__VnZOJq-6Ykd9WMzmZzArVUwebbjyCxK4v8073Gq8WFxDFkNYoS7Dq5HVC__zxSTErqCO0B1jawewnUzQFY6PNHY6LgMhEPSaMBsi7eB0h7tVLX9wtxjwQdjdPKKafyOTJJhDJ9bNtXTbr89YF5qLizSOmYW_wdppo225bkJkAXaAtJ7T8ntHHWrtkZWvd9z2bji59dPWWiYRIymrf6d-J31YyRNwXKqmbu9xyFLL5UmUxjPxKqedvVtQt_0PNZc00tevcKM539n9as7w4VzDPFr1dVE1Y174Aty_A4w8JiQO8-MmQvoqhoZ4lYGZToYJEYFOZ0RH4m_aGH2lYCInPDl9Rn7wYFQDWS2pZtz-YEwEH7U4a3JK-BLLTxP0_ur1K4uRoACM0buCm6re3-6icnc54d0YXKoMToz_QXOpj-YU2Sb2GONdoj95rT7GXmg74oPpeNEluDLbzvlj1KbGxGTE6xmkj__bMogec896ddT1MkKsXPnlUytpYOPfqtvHFS1T7cwlLzv1xtJzHnJMNgPIy71qF7_Xt8jJ-Rll6MFK9GtKNSw8uYob03k2RvvDoWjQARq-_YMlFQdiesENvwWwH_1_l77FpD_z6WMNsaR_M4QRwIKk3JTT7c7s7S2Pv-v-j2bamb-ObhuW7GfV9hKkY1QChiSbcOeBC3HkVhfXd-pr52faPOJjNMX6BwrIlwnmrg=w1704-h1279-s-no?authuser=0

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

Is there so much to do? I had thought that opposed to a cruise ship there is not much entertainment during the day?

The usual saying is 'nothing to do, and not enough time to do it'

There are many day time activities on the schedule. Last fall these included enrichment lectures, rehearsals for the passenger chorus, acting workshops with the Royal Shakespeare Company, dance lessons, trivia quizzes, watercolor lessons, wine tastings [extra cost], and likely other events that I did not notice.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

There is a charge for materials at the watercolour class. However, if you bring your own, including pad, it's free. It lasts 2 hours, so you get about one and a half hours to make a mess.

One of mine from last November:

AJFCJaUZ8Fohpe0NSbeTKtXqIhhrLjuFigrnFZQyKkRIWtXbRejS-s3UzxVgw68Q0sGwHhKulGnsZ7cbuhfF5G1YUkbRJdGHo-tfQI5CQbJWaIJx2K07icZfTNZGCT0uUz62_LczShVyVAG9JmH9QYoUlla8feQMHt9J5yHMOXrYOtjo9i1yqbL2YKuWcaq8H_NSP0PeQMoKKXMjbKtbTx__VnZOJq-6Ykd9WMzmZzArVUwebbjyCxK4v8073Gq8WFxDFkNYoS7Dq5HVC__zxSTErqCO0B1jawewnUzQFY6PNHY6LgMhEPSaMBsi7eB0h7tVLX9wtxjwQdjdPKKafyOTJJhDJ9bNtXTbr89YF5qLizSOmYW_wdppo225bkJkAXaAtJ7T8ntHHWrtkZWvd9z2bji59dPWWiYRIymrf6d-J31YyRNwXKqmbu9xyFLL5UmUxjPxKqedvVtQt_0PNZc00tevcKM539n9as7w4VzDPFr1dVE1Y174Aty_A4w8JiQO8-MmQvoqhoZ4lYGZToYJEYFOZ0RH4m_aGH2lYCInPDl9Rn7wYFQDWS2pZtz-YEwEH7U4a3JK-BLLTxP0_ur1K4uRoACM0buCm6re3-6icnc54d0YXKoMToz_QXOpj-YU2Sb2GONdoj95rT7GXmg74oPpeNEluDLbzvlj1KbGxGTE6xmkj__bMogec896ddT1MkKsXPnlUytpYOPfqtvHFS1T7cwlLzv1xtJzHnJMNgPIy71qF7_Xt8jJ-Rll6MFK9GtKNSw8uYob03k2RvvDoWjQARq-_YMlFQdiesENvwWwH_1_l77FpD_z6WMNsaR_M4QRwIKk3JTT7c7s7S2Pv-v-j2bamb-ObhuW7GfV9hKkY1QChiSbcOeBC3HkVhfXd-pr52faPOJjNMX6BwrIlwnmrg=w1704-h1279-s-no?authuser=0

Looks Very tasty .

You should be down the sea front at Cagnes-sur-Mer on a Sunday morning selling your work! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, D&N said:

Gratuities, now I think titled something like service charge, are charged per person per day to your onboard account.

That question often leads to lengthy debate. Tipping cultures vary in different countries.

As Brits living in France, we felt the sums levied were a bit low in comparison with what we would tip if we went out for 3 meals a day and stayed at a nice hotel.  Those from US might be used to tipping far more.

It's a matter of personal choice, we tipped nominal sums to those we felt made the most impact on our enjoyment of the trip.

A table neighbour planned to tip the cabin stewardess handsomely because he felt guilty about his wife not removing makeup before bed, requiring changing of linen daily!

In my latest brochure it is called Hotel and Dining Service Charge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

QE and QV have two level libraries, QM2's is all one level on  8. I spent many a happy  hour sitting in the QM2 library alcove, reading, when I couldn't get off the ship due to knee issues.

Thank you for the library location correction. No wonder I couldn’t find a Deck 9 library entrance last week!

I do remember the two levels on the QE. 
Like I said, the QM2 layout is like no other!

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Thank you for the library location correction. No wonder I couldn’t find a Deck 9 library entrance last week!

I do remember the two levels on the QE. 
Like I said, the QM2 layout is like no other!

But did you find the entrance to the outside lifts?

I think I must be the only person who likes the QM2’s layout because it is symmetrical and you can walk all the way round the ship inside without having to swap over the other side, as on the Vistas. I admit you have to go up and down a bit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D&N said:

I didn't read anything about that in the document. How is this per day? Or is it already included in the fare we booked?

2 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

I didn't read anything about that in the document. How is this per day? Or is it already included in the fare we booked?

Unless you have been offered a deal from your TA, it's a daily charge per person.

Some people ask for it to be removed, but that's unfair on the back room staff as you don't ever see them to tip them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Unless you have been offered a deal from your TA, it's a daily charge per person.

Some people ask for it to be removed, but that's unfair on the back room staff as you don't ever see them to tip them.

Ok thanks, and how much is this per day?

4 minutes ago, Frank183 said:

For UK bookings it's normally charged to onboard account.

I believe many US deals include that and other perks.

You need to check your contract including any reference to Terms & Conditions.

The levels vary between Britannia & Grills. Best to read that section of website.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

For UK bookings it's normally charged to onboard account.

I believe many US deals include that and other perks.

You need to check your contract including any reference to Terms & Conditions.

The levels vary between Britannia & Grills. Best to read that section of website.

I booked this via a specialized TA in Germany.I will have to look this up.

• Like 1

The water color classes are a lot of fun but please note that they are designed to be a 6 day commitment, 1.5 - 2 hours per day. The instructor will build upon what you learned the previous day. There will be all skill level participants including people like me with NO skill. Still, one of the most enjoyable things I have done on a Crossing. Looking forward to doing it again.

I think one of the best surprises for us was how much live music there is on the QM2. There are so many venues and such excellent performers. We also enjoyed exploring the ship. Be sure to leave time to relax in one of the deck chairs on the promanade deck and watch the North Atlantic Ocean go buy. A daily MUST for us.

I would advise bringing a light jacket or you can just buy one of the Cunard branded jackets onboard.

Don't forget that you can bring your own wine and sprits onboard for cabin consumption. We enjoy a drink while dressing for dinner. You can bring your own wine to the dining room but there will be a corkage fee, $25-$30 i think. 

Have fun and please post a review.

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frank183 said:

Is suit and tie required for the meals (except for the special events), or would suit pants and a decent shirt do? I don't have wear formal wear for my job, so I don't really want to buy clothes for this trip that will only hang in the closet afterwards and pick up dust.

It sounds like you will are OK for the Smart Attire nights, where Cunard's guidelines say "dress shirt and trousers". Personally I'd add a jacket of some sort, to smarten things up a bit but it's not essential.

For the Gala nights, I am reminded of someone I got talking to over dinner on one voyage a few years back - he was wearing a very smart Scottish style dark Tweed Jacket, with a bow tie. It was a bit unusual, but definitely smart and within the spirit of the dress code, if not the letter. I paid compliments to the wearer of the jacket and he said I was the third person to have done so on the crossing. It was a genuine Harris Tweed jacket, nearly 80 years old. He had bought it a few weeks before the sailing via eBay for something like 20€ - a real bargain. He said that when he bid for it, he thought he could sell it for a similar amount after the voyage. I must have look horrified - he quickly reassured me that when he opened the eBay package he realised that this was one very special jacket.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, steve4031 said:

Wow!  I’m at the Hyatt Ohare waiting/resting before tomorrows flight to LaGuardia.  Friday we board.  This list got me super excited.  

So, on 07/14 we can shake hands in Southampton. Don't break anything!!! 😉

8 hours ago, Frank183 said:

So, on 07/14 we can shake hands in Southampton. Don't break anything!!! 😉

Don’t worry.  I’ll do my best to respect the grand lady of Ocean Liners.  

One more question. I just received an email from Cunard that I could choose my favourite dinner time on their website, but I just can't seem find this section, can anybody advise?

Thanks a lot and best regards
Frank