Travel Insurance via Nationwide or Co-op Packaged bank accounts

We have been with LV annual travel insurance for more than 10 yrs, and its been fine in terms of cost and claims experience, given we both have a number of pre-existing conditions. However, now reached 75 (OH 71), and having done most European cruises that Marella offer, I was looking further afield. Rang LV regarding going on one of the USA cruises and they quoted >£1200 annually, so thinking of moving to Nationwide or Co-op packaged accounts.

Ive done the research regarding cost with both, and even run the pre-existing conditions past Co-op/AXA, and its looks to be much cheaper. My question for those who are using either account (Nationwide Flex Plus/Co-op Everyday Extra), what are your experiences, particularly with claims

We use Nationwide and pay extra for the cruise cover which covers for missed ports.

Our friends made a claim last year and they paid out for 4 missed ports no problem.

We had a claim earlier in the year due to flight delays in a cyclone and they paid up for the delay, however the claim  was very small as they only pay out about £10 for each 4 hour delay so 48 hours delay was only about £120 each so hardly enough. You also need to pay for an upgrade over 70 s well as the medical upgrade.

We have Nationwide cover without the missed ports extra upgrade.  My husband got Covid last year a few days before we were due to leave and we were reimbursed with no problems at all.  

Is Nationwide available for US residents?  I'm looking for travel insurance and have been reading horror stories about Allanz and other insurers in terms of claims.  I'd like an insurer that pays for missed ports as Oceania is known for canceling ports at the last minute and to cover my non-refundable excursion costs.  If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Hi Babydrum.

Not sure if you are aware that Nationwide is a uk Building society and the travel insurance  is part of a package offered to members with certain types of accounts.

I am not sure that an American National would be eligible to open an account but perhaps worth enquiring.

The actual insurance policies that they offer are via a third party insurance company.

The concept was quite common with certain banks/ building societies offering different  perks such as credit card protection,mobile phone cover, household emergency cover, emergency vehicle rescue, travel insurance etc, All for an additional monthly fee.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies regarding Nationwide.

Looks like not many, if any, are with the Co-op (underwritten by AXA), which is a pity as they are quoting much lower cost extras for our numerous ailments, and cover up 80 years of age for no extra cost above the £15/month.

• 1 month later...

Nationwide also include car breakdown and mobile phone insurance. We got covid on a cruise last year and as we'd taken out the additional cruise specific cover (£40 for both of us for a year), they paid out £1800 very quickly, with no issues.