Cabin choices

kenphy

We are in a quandry and would like advice.  Up to now (through 17 cruises)  we have done the last 15 in a Neptune suite (yes - spoiled).  However, we want to start booking longer cruises, which would be out of our price range in Neptune, and want to explore other options.  We are wondering if a veranda cabin (although smaller) would be a choice we should explore.  We are booking a shorter (7 day) cruise in a veranda to try it out.  We would like any comments and advice anyone has.  Thanks in advance to all of you.

If you are considering a Pinnacle ship, remember that adding Club Orange will get you some of the amenities of the Neptune, including the separate dining room. Plus if you book a guarantee with CO you can upgrade to a higher category Verandah for no additional cost.

On a non-Pinnacle ship, CO will get you the stateroom upgrade and a few of the amenities but no separate dining room.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You didn't mention the ship, but a Signature Suite is a decent compromise, spacewise. It's roughly halfway between a verandah & a Neptune.

Good advice IMO.  Plus, on some of the ships (especially the Vista class ones) there is a good chance you will get an upsell offer to a Neptune (2-4 weeks prior to sailing).

• Like 2

We did one of our longest cruises (51 day - old Rotterdam R-class ship ((London Indonesia Singapore) in an ocean view cabin to make it affordable, after also enjoying primarily Neptunes and balconies.  

This wondrous cruise itself on this smaller ship, more than made up for the change in cabin status. Because it was a smaller ship, outdoor access was not that far away. Others also like being in ocean view cabins near the central atrium doors, which readily access the 360 degree promenade decks.  

What we also learned is the aft ocean view cabins on this R class ship had ready access to two aft open decks that had loungers and the often coveted aft wake view.  Plus it was pretty easy to get almost anywhere else on the ship, so the cabin was just used for sleeping and changing clothes primarily.

But at least the cabin had daylight - the real must have for me. Though even inside cabins can now be made more amenable with the use of an imitation daylight alarm clock. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

...But at least the cabin had daylight - the real must have for me. Though even inside cabins can now be made more amenable with the use of an imitation daylight alarm clock. 

There are also some inside cabins (usually no more than 2 per ship) that have windows, allowing user some natural light. You can also get a slight view of both port and Starboard views. They have very convenient deck access.

IQ10044 and IQ10043 on this screenshot both have the windows. 20230705_125725.thumb.jpg.2af3ef6c34905f667be3f75daa1ba3d5.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kenphy said:

We are in a quandry and would like advice.  Up to now (through 17 cruises)  we have done the last 15 in a Neptune suite (yes - spoiled).  However, we want to start booking longer cruises, which would be out of our price range in Neptune, and want to explore other options.  We are wondering if a veranda cabin (although smaller) would be a choice we should explore.  We are booking a shorter (7 day) cruise in a veranda to try it out.  We would like any comments and advice anyone has.  Thanks in advance to all of you.

THIS was exactly us.  We only cruised in NS until we started doing long cruises- our last 3 have been 45, 42, and 43 days - all since the pandemic.(Retired February 2020.) We felt like we could not justify the NS with the longer cruises. We did a test in a veranda and the first day, I said NO. . . But as the week progressed, I discovered we were fine. So, for our long cruises, we book verandas, but never say no to an upgrade/upsell at a reasonable price. 

I think the ‘test’ is a great idea.  It worked for us. 

I miss the coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge but really nothing else.   We are 5* (and I suspect you are too or close) so we get laundry, priority boarding etc. 

Try it.  We love our long cruises. 

• Like 2

To me....again just my thoughts....Cost equates to two or three cruises in a Verandah vs one cruise (assuming all same length) in a Neptune/Signature.  Although we did transpacific in a Signature (bought the upsell) and Alaska in a Neptune (special occasion), DW says two days in a Verandah (in a great location - amidships on deck 6 for example) is better than one night in a Signature under the Lido....by a long shot.

• Like 3

We generally just book Verandah cabins but this last cruise, we were able to upgrade to a Vista at no additional cost. It did add a bit of extra room and storage. In fact, we ended up changing our cabin for the November, 2024 cruise to that exact cabin.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Zuiderdam on a 7 day trial to Quebec to Boston in September in a verandah.   We are also booked on the Koningsdam for the 35 day South Pacific from and to San Diego in February in a veranda.  We don't have to make final payment on the Koningsdam until we return from the 7 day.  Of course, we are so excited, but in the 55 years (yes!) we have been married, I bet we haven't slept in other than a king more than 20 or so days.  That's what initially brought us to the Neptunes.  Hope this helps you all to give any more advice (sorry I didn't include this info when first asking for help)

Thanks again for every comment above.  

Yes, being four star does help, and adding Club Orange on the Koningsdam will help.  We just got off a 12 day Med on the Oosterdam (yes, in a Neptune)

3 hours ago, kenphy said:

...We are also booked on the Koningsdam for the 35 day South Pacific from and to San Diego in February in a veranda.  We don't have to make final payment on the Koningsdam until we return from the 7 day. <<snip>>

Hi Kenphy! I don't see you on our roll call for So.Pac -- please join, it is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2832921-february-17-2024-hawaii-and-tahiti/page/70/

We will be in a Vista Suite, the same cabin that we spent 16 days B2B on the Mexican Riviera last winter. Currently you can only book a Vista as a guarantee, but I don't think there are any BAD Vista Suites! 

One difference on the K'dam is that most or all Verandahs have the sofa and desk near the balcony, while the Vistas have the sofa and desk toward the hall and the bed by the balcony. 

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

One difference on the K'dam is that most or all Verandahs have the sofa and desk near the balcony, while the Vistas have the sofa and desk toward the hall and the bed by the balcony. 

On the Zuiderdam now, Westerdam last fall (Vistas). The loveseat and desk are next to the window in all the verandahs. I believe it is the same on all the Vistas.

The obstructed oceanviews, which are like the verandahs but without a door to the balcony (a lifeboat where the balcony would be -- great light but obstructed view) have the bed by the window.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

On the Zuiderdam now, Westerdam last fall (Vistas). The loveseat and desk are next to the window in all the verandahs. I believe it is the same on all the Vistas.

Haha, yes, I was speaking of Vista Suites (on Pinnacle Class ships), not Vista ships. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 1:00 PM, OlsSalt said:

We did one of our longest cruises (51 day - old Rotterdam R-class ship ((London Indonesia Singapore) in an ocean view cabin to make it affordable

Question. Did. you need to get visas for Indonesia or did Holland America take care of it for you.  Thanks for any help you can give on this.  

2 hours ago, travelbug1054ab said:

Did. you need to get visas for Indonesia or did Holland America take care of it for you

This is not a cabin question. I see that you have posted this questions on several threads.  I think you should call HAL to find the most up to date and accurate information. Try 800-426-0327 

Your TA or PCC would also be a good resource.  

• Like 2