Silver Dawn - live - Bergen to Copenhagen 5th July - 12th July

calm down dear

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from calm down dear! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

calm down dear was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We have travelled on about a dozen cruises split between Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea. Our last cruise was Seabourn post pandemic on Encore last Autumn in Greece/Turkey and this is our first Silversea since Silver Muse in Asia in 2018.

First impressions : we arrived quayside at 230pm , there was quite a line to drop bags but it moved reasonably quickly (although annoyingly our bags took over 2 hours to get to suite), we then had to do a form for health check, then a security check and then onboard, directed to Venetian lounge to handover passports and got suite card and told suite ready. One noticeable difference - no welcome onboard champagne or drink, however there was a bottle in the suite. The ship still seemed very new and clean, the spa area looked great and the crew very welcoming. The suite well appointed and huge orchid in it, very nice.

We had to watch briefing on tv but also go to lounge where we got much the same briefing again and a walk to a lifeboat - different to Seabourn. The tv is very fiddly and seems to have multiple menus that don’t quite work - maybe the battery I guess. 
Will update later but feel free to ask any questions!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, calm down dear said:

We have travelled on about a dozen cruises split between Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea. Our last cruise was Seabourn post pandemic on Encore last Autumn in Greece/Turkey and this is our first Silversea since Silver Muse in Asia in 2018.

Will update later but feel free to ask any questions!

Look forward to any and all of your reports for this exciting "Norway Adventure".  Glad that the Silver Dawn is looking new and excellent.  

Hopefully before boarding, you had a chance to explore charming and historic Bergen.  Wonderful city!!  One of the real "stars" for Norway.  Looking at your upcoming stops for Geiranger, Hellesylt, Trondheim, Ålesund, Flåm and Copenhagen, we visited all of these in 2010 on the Silver Cloud.  Much to see and do at all of these stops.  Will you have added time in Copenhagen at the end of your cruise?  Been there previously?

Any chance to share any visuals from these stops, on the ship, of the food?  Always love seeing "eye candy" from these localities to bring back memories from past visits.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,814 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, calm down dear said:

We had to watch briefing on tv but also go to lounge where we got much the same briefing again and a walk to a lifeboat - different to Seabourn.

That sounds like the old muster drill before everyone moved to an E-muster. We are joining the Dawn in Copenhagen right after your cruise and were looking forward to an easier embarkation than you seemed to have had.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CJANDH said:

That sounds like the old muster drill before everyone moved to an E-muster. We are joining the Dawn in Copenhagen right after your cruise and were looking forward to an easier embarkation than you seemed to have had.

Yes it was a strange mixture - I’d say it was 10 mins in your suite which you then had to press a button on the remote to confirm. Then at 6pm everyone had to go to muster station, name was ticked off and everyone milled around and then we had various announcements and how to put on a life jacket, then file out in groups to look at a life boat and then file out. We were there about 30mins I suppose.

I would not describe embarkation as poor, rather people were told to come between 2 and 4, which I think compressed matters. In hindsight we should have carried on our luggage which we normally do and this would have skipped the line, the line was slow as everyone had to fill in a luggage tag whether you had one on it already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Look forward to any and all of your reports for this exciting "Norway Adventure".  Glad that the Silver Dawn is looking new and excellent.  

Hopefully before boarding, you had a chance to explore charming and historic Bergen.  Wonderful city!!  One of the real "stars" for Norway.  Looking at your upcoming stops for Geiranger, Hellesylt, Trondheim, Ålesund, Flåm and Copenhagen, we visited all of these in 2010 on the Silver Cloud.  Much to see and do at all of these stops.  Will you have added time in Copenhagen at the end of your cruise?  Been there previously?

Any chance to share any visuals from these stops, on the ship, of the food?  Always love seeing "eye candy" from these localities to bring back memories from past visits.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,814 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Thanks Terry, yes we had 3 days in Bergen and will have 3 days in Copenhagen and whilst have been to both previously (we live in London) it was about 10 years ago. Bergen was great for walking, we had an Airbnb in the old town, all wooden houses and cobbled streets up on the hill behind the old Bryggen warehouses.

• Like 1

First impressions continued. Ship is almost full, told 576 passengers, nearly all are on 7 days as the cruises repeat ports eg todays port of nordfjordeid was visited by the ship only 2 days ago. The ship though does not feel at all crowded.

Last night went to observation bar, about 20 people pre dinner. Dinner was at Terraza, good food and service. Wine was a passable Italian Pinot noir regularly topped up, when I asked to try another wine they happily agreed and said to avoid any server confusion they leave the new bottle on the table - great ! San pelligrino water freely available - though occasionally passing server would forget.

This morning we went back to terraza for breakfast - noticeably not that busy and quite relaxed, because - and Seabourn take note - many were in the restaurant and on the pool deck.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, calm down dear said:

Then at 6pm everyone had to go to muster station, name was ticked off and everyone milled around and then we had various announcements and how to put on a life jacket, then file out in groups to look at a life boat and then file out. We were there about 30mins I suppose.

Sounds like a return to the old muster drill. Anyone else sailing on SS right now seeing the same.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, calm down dear said:

Thanks Terry, yes we had 3 days in Bergen and will have 3 days in Copenhagen and whilst have been to both previously (we live in London) it was about 10 years ago. Bergen was great for walking, we had an Airbnb in the old town, all wooden houses and cobbled streets up on the hill behind the old Bryggen warehouses.

Great update and details!  Glad that you planned accordingly for both your pre- and post-cruise exploring of these two amazing cities with such excellent character, history, architecture, culture, etc.  Wonderful.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the wonderful reporting. We'll be onboard mid-August for a similar cruise. Do you know if Bruno, the cruise director, is onboard...and for how long? Also is Marybeth still tending bar in the Dolce Vita? I hope she will be there in August as well.

I am so excited to follow your postings on this cruise. Enjoy every minute!

8 hours ago, calm down dear said:

Both are awesome cities

• Like 1

Today is Nordfjordeid, we anchored and the tendering was very efficient. We were the only ship in town. We had a “hike” to a waterfall with a pleasant minibus ride along the fjord side for about 20mins each way and the walk was about an hour plus a “rest”. There were 12 in the group so not crammed in and this walk seemed to have 4 departures. For an “included” tour this was good. 
Late lunch in Kaiseki - it was completely full, the food here not as good as the Seabourn version at Seishin and portions very small, a maki roll was 3 small pieces. The small windowless space felt like a small windowless place especially with about 30 people in it.

The town had a great Viking museum and a longboat plus an interesting church.

Our fellow passengers seem a very diverse international bunch and compared to our Seabourn October med cruise where we (early 50’s) were very clearly some of the youngest , this has more families and many in 20s and 30s. Not seen one zimmer frame yet, whereas on Seabourn there were many in their 80s (and good for them too, to be clear). 
The ship is a year old according to the hotel director who introduced herself on deck, it looks immaculate. One little detail, on Seabourn when we tendered there were many steps and lots of movement, here whilst there are some steps down the tender entrance is completely level, almost like getting into a lift.

Had tea at Arts Cafe, good selection and service.

Visited spa area, it’s amazing like a hotel with plenty of loungers but what is truly odd is there are no signs on the male and female sauna doors, rather next to them are large Grecian type murals, one Neptune like and one Venus like but it’s not at all obvious and so far in 30 mins , 8 people have gone into wrong one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, number one eagles fan said:

Thanks for the wonderful reporting. We'll be onboard mid-August for a similar cruise. Do you know if Bruno, the cruise director, is onboard...and for how long? Also is Marybeth still tending bar in the Dolce Vita? I hope she will be there in August as well.

I am so excited to follow your postings on this cruise. Enjoy every minute!

Yes and yes but was told there is a change in next few weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, calm down dear said:

Today is Nordfjordeid, we anchored and the tendering was very efficient. We were the only ship in town. We had a “hike” to a waterfall with a pleasant minibus ride along the fjord side for about 20mins each way and the walk was about an hour plus a “rest”. There were 12 in the group so not crammed in and this walk seemed to have 4 departures. For an “included” tour this was good. 
Late lunch in Kaiseki - it was completely full, the food here not as good as the Seabourn version at Seishin and portions very small, a maki roll was 3 small pieces. The small windowless space felt like a small windowless place especially with about 30 people in it.

The town had a great Viking museum and a longboat plus an interesting church.

Our fellow passengers seem a very diverse international bunch and compared to our Seabourn October med cruise where we (early 50’s) were very clearly some of the youngest , this has more families and many in 20s and 30s. Not seen one zimmer frame yet, whereas on Seabourn there were many in their 80s (and good for them too, to be clear). 
The ship is a year old according to the hotel director who introduced herself on deck, it looks immaculate. One little detail, on Seabourn when we tendered there were many steps and lots of movement, here whilst there are some steps down the tender entrance is completely level, almost like getting into a lift.

Had tea at Arts Cafe, good selection and service.

Visited spa area, it’s amazing like a hotel with plenty of loungers but what is truly odd is there are no signs on the male and female sauna doors, rather next to them are large Grecian type murals, one Neptune like and one Venus like but it’s not at all obvious and so far in 30 mins , 8 people have gone into wrong one.

Interesting to know.  We are also early 50s and were wondering if we might be the youngest on a Silversea cruise, but guess you can never really tell.

• Like 1

Tonight was “formal optional” which was the first time we had seen it written like that. I’d say the formal bit was roundly ignored by most albeit a handful in black tie but most were informal ie had a jacket and many before dinner in the salt bar and observation bar were very casual. 
A word on the salt bar, intimate and 5 star hotel like, interesting cocktails with a Nordic twist and delicious cashews and bar snacks - again Seabourn take note with the ordinary peanuts. 
Dinner at the Grill or what was called hot rocks. They have enclosed the venue so no wind and we had perfect view along the fjord in evening sun. Cooking ourself was fun and food good. Wine was great too. 
We went to Arts Cafe for dessert but they don’t serve - only a mousse or chocalates from 9pm so in search of dessert we went to Salt - a revelation ! A most interesting menu of Scandinavian dishes that we can’t wait to try, again a real effort to be innovative and local. We had 2 local desserts with tea and these were top notch. 
Here are some pics from the day. 

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5343.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, calm down dear said:

Tonight was “formal optional” which was the first time we had seen it written like that. I’d say the formal bit was roundly ignored by most albeit a handful in black tie but most were informal ie had a jacket and many before dinner in the salt bar and observation bar were very casual. 
A word on the salt bar, intimate and 5 star hotel like, interesting cocktails with a Nordic twist and delicious cashews and bar snacks - again Seabourn take note with the ordinary peanuts. 
Dinner at the Grill or what was called hot rocks. They have enclosed the venue so no wind and we had perfect view along the fjord in evening sun. Cooking ourself was fun and food good. Wine was great too. 
We went to Arts Cafe for dessert but they don’t serve - only a mousse or chocalates from 9pm so in search of dessert we went to Salt - a revelation ! A most interesting menu of Scandinavian dishes that we can’t wait to try, again a real effort to be innovative and local. We had 2 local desserts with tea and these were top notch. 
Here are some pics from the day. 

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5343.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

Hello, thank you for the very detailed report. We will taking a similar itinerary on July 22, from Copenhagen to Bergen. I have so many questions.

First of all, dress code and what people actually wear in the evening? We cruised recently on Oceania and Azamara and they didn't have formal nights. Do women dress in long dresses? Do men wear suits on formal night? ties and long sleeved shorts? Considering its cold outside is it warm inside the cruise ship enough to wear sleeveless dress? What do people wear on informal nights?

How is the weather there? 
What excursions did you take or are planning to take? Which ones did you like and which ones not so much? How may people are on the included tours? Are you taking RIB via cruise or outside provider? What do you do after 3-4 hour tours are done?  

I got your tip re: Kaiseki, thank you for that. Any other recommendations and tips for the restaurants? 

Sorry for so many questions, appreciate your patience 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kiramoli said:

Hello, thank you for the very detailed report. We will taking a similar itinerary on July 22, from Copenhagen to Bergen. I have so many questions.

First of all, dress code and what people actually wear in the evening? We cruised recently on Oceania and Azamara and they didn't have formal nights. Do women dress in long dresses? Do men wear suits on formal night? ties and long sleeved shorts? Considering its cold outside is it warm inside the cruise ship enough to wear sleeveless dress? What do people wear on informal nights?

How is the weather there? 
What excursions did you take or are planning to take? Which ones did you like and which ones not so much? How may people are on the included tours? Are you taking RIB via cruise or outside provider? What do you do after 3-4 hour tours are done?  

I got your tip re: Kaiseki, thank you for that. Any other recommendations and tips for the restaurants? 

Sorry for so many questions, appreciate your patience 🙂 

Ok firstly I would not worry at all about dress code. Last night at 7pm in salt bar was a mix of every thing. At salt dinner I would say nearly all men had a jacket (mainly on the back of a chair) with long sleeved shirts  but didn’t see any ties. First night was casual and I would say a good 1:3 still wore a jacket. Weather is around 19 Celsius or 68 F, ship warm but not seen much sleeveless dresses. On tours they are staggered through day and some do 2 but I’d say most either have lunch and then go back out to explore on their own. I did not do the rib cruise at Geiranger but very easy to do it yourself , very helpful port tourism office with all the tours etc. On our walk tour there were 12 on a minibus that seated 16, on the coach tours I’d say they go out 2/3 full. 

• Like 1

Tonight a great sailaway along Geiranger Fjord including a 360 turn at some waterfalls. We rented a car at Geiranger - well worth it to avoid the tour buses and explore at our own pace - cheaper too ! Drinks aft at the panorama lounge then dinner at Salt. This is worth a special mention, delicious innovative regional dishes accompanied by some interesting wine, a German Pinot Gris for example that was fresh and paired well. The restaurant at 730pm was I’d say 20-25% full yet they seated everyone right next to each other which detracted from the meal. 
Next is Trondheim, Norways 2nd city.

• Like 2

You don't have to sit where they say.

I always refuse (politely) to be seated where they indicate if it doesn't suit me, and I generally then choose where I'd like to sit.

And I indicate if I'd prefer not to have other pax seated too close (which they usually try and accommodate) - sometimes it can work but mostly I find that conversations amongst total strangers at very close tables detract from my meal enjoyment.

If I decide to chat to people I don't know, I'd prefer to do that at a time and place of my own choosing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, if you don't like the spot they are seating you? Did you ask to be moved?

We were there first ! My point was as people came in they put all the pax into 2 areas, obviously we are not to know whether restaurant fully booked but on reflection it seemed to us the seating was for the benefit of the servers rather than diners. To me filling up tables closely together when there are plenty of others shouldn’t be done but I’d never tell fellow diners to go away !

Today is Trondheim with beautiful weather. Tried the breakfast in the “main” dining room of Atlantide. It seems we were not alone in trying this out today as there were very few servers and one moaned to a number of guests (who were grumbling at the time being taken) but it seemed to us reinforcements arrived at 9am to help with the influx - I’d guess it was at least half full. Our feeling was that the breakfast was simply assembled from the buffet upstairs except the egg but it was very nicely assembled. However from start to finish was an hour and if I am to spend an hour on breakfast I’d rather have a nice view, however I applaud Silversea for doing it as it was clear many guests liked the sit down almost hotel type breakfast.

Next took a shuttle bus into town and enjoyed a long walk.

Another observation - the laundry rooms are tiny (only 1 machine) and congested for space, today queues had formed on decks 5-7 before 8am , no idea why they are closed before. Trying to iron in the space without being banged by the door or someone trying to use the machine is difficult- the Seabourn set up much better and more sociable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calm down dear said:

We were there first ! My point was as people came in they put all the pax into 2 areas, obviously we are not to know whether restaurant fully booked but on reflection it seemed to us the seating was for the benefit of the servers rather than diners. To me filling up tables closely together when there are plenty of others shouldn’t be done but I’d never tell fellow diners to go away !

I would not tell someone else to go away either. Didn't know you were the first to be seated until you posted it.  Not sure how long you had been sitting there, but I still think you could have asked to be moved if you were unhappy.

image.thumb.jpeg.78474cde38858aa1d14d570153ad116c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.53584b510bf9a970c2ee929bbf73d945.jpeg

I had huge "lunch at La Terrazza"-cravings just after noon today, but had to settle with just watching the beautiful Dawn from my own terrace. When backing up and turning around for departure it  looked there for a moment like my prayers had been heard and La Terrazza was indeed coming to me instead and the terraces would finally unite, but alas, the Dawn found its course and was soon just a distant memory 😉 Hope you enjoyed the visit in sunny Trondheim today and bon voyage!

• Like 6

On 7/6/2023 at 12:09 PM, AusMum said:

Interesting to know.  We are also early 50s and were wondering if we might be the youngest on a Silversea cruise, but guess you can never really tell.

Back in the 1990’s, Mrs Banjo and I were “ALWAYS” the youngest on SS cruises.  We were in our mid 30’s.  Now in our late 60’s we feel like we are the average age of SS cruisers.

Edited by crusinbanjo
  • Like 1

We are going on our first Silverseas cruise next month and are very glad to hear we don’t need to worry too much about the dress code. I’m not so concerned about casual but could someone tell me what women generally wear as informal attire?

• Like 1