Blue Bus Glacier Express cancelled???

TVChick16

I booked the Blue Bus Glacier Express to Mendenhall Glacier through Viator months ago for July 13 (next week). I received an email today that my reservation had been cancelled with no explanation. I got on the site to investigate, and all dates are grayed out through August 2024. 

I booked this tour because it allowed you to spend as much time at the glacier as you wish whereas excursions booked through the ship and other tours I find only give you 1.5-2 hours at the glacier which is not enough time to do the hikes we want to do.

I saw on another thread that someone used the white buses through Juneau Tours for the same price as the Blue Bus ($45pp), but those are sold out online.

Does anyone know if there is another comparable option? I'm leary of taking the public bus as it drops you off 1.5 miles from the glacier, so that's an extra 1-hour walk round-trip along the highway. I cannot find another tour that doesn't rush you in and out in less than 2 hours (and the short tour through the ship is $75pp!).

I had a lengthy discussion with the owner of Blue Bus yesterday. I was in shock when she told me that they only get a certain amount of passes for the Glacier and they and other tour companies have exceeded their limit. They have none left at all to sell! She said that she and her partner have been crying for a week because their tourist season/ income is now done! 

They have requested to the gov't for more passes but say it probably won't happen! She said if there are any more for the ship we are on - I had better grab them. I DID just yesterday. 

My thoughts were ...that we will go for the Ship excursion but if we want to stay longer- we will just call a cab to come and get us at the end.

Keep in mind we have light until approx 7:30 at that time of year in Alaska

9 hours ago, TVChick16 said:

I booked the Blue Bus Glacier Express to Mendenhall Glacier through Viator months ago for July 13 (next week). I received an email today that my reservation had been cancelled with no explanation. I got on the site to investigate, and all dates are grayed out through August 2024. 

I booked this tour because it allowed you to spend as much time at the glacier as you wish whereas excursions booked through the ship and other tours I find only give you 1.5-2 hours at the glacier which is not enough time to do the hikes we want to do.

I saw on another thread that someone used the white buses through Juneau Tours for the same price as the Blue Bus ($45pp), but those are sold out online.

Does anyone know if there is another comparable option? I'm leary of taking the public bus as it drops you off 1.5 miles from the glacier, so that's an extra 1-hour walk round-trip along the highway. I cannot find another tour that doesn't rush you in and out in less than 2 hours (and the short tour through the ship is $75pp!).

Thank you for posting!  I have rsvns for 8/14 but weren't paid yet.  I just quickly went on and paid.  I sure hope we don't get cancelled too.  

Edited by CLM0928

44 minutes ago, CLM0928 said:

Thank you for posting!  I have rsvns for 8/14 but weren't paid yet.  I just quickly went on and paid.  I sure hope we don't get cancelled too.  

I just received an email too ... We have been cancelled!  This is very disappointing!!  

11 hours ago, TVChick16 said:

I wonder if the cancellation was the consequence of having gone to a third party--Viator--to arrange for the transportation, instead of having gone directly to the tour operator--M&M Tours of Juneau. By going to a third party, one relies on that third party being able to obtain the services in a competent manner. On the other hand, by going directly to the tour operator, one can get a contract with the actual party operating the tour, leaving less wiggle room for the tour operator to cancel. In the event of a limitation, the tour operator is more likely to provide the limited service to its own clients, but to cancel the arrangements made by third parties, such as Viator.

I would hesitate to ever use a third party, such as Viator, in almost every case, for this and related reasons. In this case, I would most likely use Capital Transit to and from the glacier.

No, third party booking is not the issue:

We are very sorry but your Tour with M&M Tours MUST be cancelled at this
time.
We cannot honor your booking due to the fact that we are out of GLACIER
PERMITS!

It saddens us to say but we have no Glacier Permits available. We have
tried to hold on as long as
possible hoping to receive more Glacier Permits. As far as we have been
told, there will be no more
Glacier Permits forthcoming.

We are not taking any new bookings for our Blue Bus or Juneau Highlights
Tours
at this time. Please check our website for NEW tours that do NOT go to the
Mendenhall Glacier. mmtoursofjuneau.com

Please check with our dock booths (M&M Tours of Juneau) the day you are in
our beautiful little city of Juneau.
They may have something available for you.

Thank you,
Tammy

They need to update their website immediately.

After reading this chain, I went to their website to see what options existed and was able to book (and successfully booked) 2 tickets for August 11th.

In quick succession, I received a "receipt," my "tickets," and then an email that I will be receiving an immediate refund since they cannot provide service to the glacier as they have no more permits.

We, too, are now looking for alternative ways to get to the visitor center.  

Thanks for the responses!!! That's really sad for the Blue Bus owners. :classic_sad: It seems like the permit restrictions were new and sudden. Since their livelihood depends on these bookings, it's such a shame that the rug was pulled out from under them only 2 months into the season. I can understand the need to restrict the number of people allowed at the glacier, but why so sudden?

I sucked it up and decided to book the Mendenhall Glacier Experience through Holland America and pay $15 more pp for only 2 hours at the glacier instead of a full day. :classic_unsure: Because our sailing is in 3 days, it would not allow us to book through the Navigator app or online, so we called Holland America and successfully booked the excursion. 

I was just there yesterday. M&M tours said it just happened July 4. They said the park service was limiting people. They offered a tour of City, Douglas island, and the whale statue. Then we had 1.5 hours at the glacier. The cost was $75 per person. 

The tour and bus operators have known about the pass restrictions all season. They gambled they would be able to get extra passes and oversold seats. Now they have to cancel out.

Get ready for giant price increases in 2024 since there will be pass and seat limits enforced.

• Like 1

I know it can get crowded at the bus stop coming back, but guess they have to do something to manage crowds. 😞  It is getting this way at National Parks too.  You can walk over to the falls and back if you hurry and explore in 2 hours.  

Wonder how they will handle people who take the public bus?

6 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Wonder how they will handle people who take the public bus?

I was wondering same thing.  Bus or Taxis?  We are now looking into Evergreen/DLX Rides since they can drop off at the Visitor Center.  I suppose they may have issue with permits too.  You would think they could have honored all booked and limited from that point on.  It is very disappointing.

Super bummed to read of Blue Bus not being able to run to Mendenhall.  This had been my plan for my cruise at the end of this month.  Of course, all the cruise ship excursions are sold out.  Not sure of an alternative that will work for us, I don't fancy walking from the public bus stop to the Visitor center.   *sigh* 

Just now, dreams_of_travel said:

Super bummed to read of Blue Bus not being able to run to Mendenhall.  This had been my plan for my cruise at the end of this month.  Of course, all the cruise ship excursions are sold out.  Not sure of an alternative that will work for us, I don't fancy walking from the public bus stop to the Visitor center.   *sigh* 

Check out Evergreen Taxi.  They are permitted to drop at the visitor center and have online reservation request. I think its $40 per person

http://www.evergreentaxi.com/ 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CLM0928 said:

Check out Evergreen Taxi.  They are permitted to drop at the visitor center and have online reservation request. I think its $40 per person

http://www.evergreentaxi.com/ 

Thank you.  I will definitely check into this, and let you know how it worked out.  It looks like your cruise is about a week after mine. 

15 hours ago, Reelheel1 said:

M&M tours said it just happened July 4. They said the park service was limiting people.

The National Park Service does not operate or control the Mendenhall Glacier facilities. Rather, it is the National Forest Service (USDA). Both agencies, however, are lacking in sound transportation policy. They each have implemented policies throughout their realms that impose substantial costs and limitations on commercial bus transportation, while largely keeping a free-for-all system for private automobile usage. Yet, bus transportation is nearly uniformly accepted throughout the professional transportation community as having lower impact on the environment, and more efficient usage of highway capacity, compared to individual automobile usage. In a few instances the National Park Service has, out of actually necessity, limited automobile usage, but has then arranged for government-contracted public transportation for affected automobile users. The antipathy that the two agencies have towards commercial bus transportation is perplexing and wrong-headed. Use of bus transportation should be expanded, not discouraged.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

The National Park Service does not operate or control the Mendenhall Glacier facilities. Rather, it is the National Forest Service (USDA). Both agencies, however, are lacking in sound transportation policy. They each have implemented policies throughout their realms that impose substantial costs and limitations on commercial bus transportation, while largely keeping a free-for-all system for private automobile usage. Yet, bus transportation is nearly uniformly accepted throughout the professional transportation community as having lower impact on the environment, and more efficient usage of highway capacity, compared to individual automobile usage. In a few instances the National Park Service has, out of actually necessity, limited automobile usage, but has then arranged for government-contracted public transportation for affected automobile users. The antipathy that the two agencies have towards commercial bus transportation is perplexing and wrong-headed. Use of bus transportation should be expanded, not discouraged.

The "free-for-all" system for private auto usage at Mendenhall consists of two parking lots that can hold maybe 60 cars.  The busses can deposit hundreds of people an hour in front of the Visitor's Center.  There are limited trails, which are generally crowded, and on a rainy, cold day you can barely move in the Visitor 's Center.  It is not the mission of either the Park Service or the Forest Service to maximize the number of tourists in a protected area.  I have been going to the Mendenhall since the late 80's.  We used to go down and hang out at the creek to watch the bears fish for salmon.  It's been several years since I've been able to do that.  If a bear does show up, the rangers immediately close down the area to visitors to give the bear some space.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

The "free-for-all" system for private auto usage at Mendenhall consists of two parking lots that can hold maybe 60 cars.

The concern is larger than just Mendenhall alone, but extends throughout the systems. It is reminiscent of Long Island, New York, where parkways were designed for automobiles, and excluded bus travel. It enforced a two-tier structure, those having automobiles and being privileged, and the masses without, reliant on bus transportation, not being so privileged. In the context of Juneau, those owning automobiles--typically local residents--have easy access, but those without--typically those traveling from afar--being inconvenienced (though not entirely disenfranchised given that there is Capital Transit plus short walk, as well as taxi service). This is not a local park but a national forest, and the people who reside in Juneau have no greater claim to its use than other Americans. That automobilists should be favored over those who travel by bus is simply wrong. This is elitism at its worst.

As someone who grew up in a small town with a tourist season, I can see the logic on limiting the commercial enterprises. The parks and forests are for all of us to enjoy, not just a money making venture for private businesses.  Nothing against private business, but the public bus is way cheaper.  (Just a lot less convenient with the additional walk.) The swimming hole that I went to in my youth is now over run with kayak rental places and somehow they’re the only ones who get to use the dock. 

We used a non-blue shuttle bus last month, and the trails were crowded, and the visitor center was a scrum. Our original Glacier Paddle and Trek tour was canceled and after a lovely 20 person max whale watching tour last year, we didn’t want to signup for the higher capacity tour we learned about on the deck, hence the knock-off shuttle. 

I do feel bad for the shuttle company employees, but it’s unfortunate that the companies ignored the limits. It’s so hard to balance limited resources.

For anyone looking for things to do in Juneau, maybe there are food tours?  Or you can do your own … there’s a lot of stuff in walking distance.

• Like 1

"Local tourism companies are being forced to turn away tourists in Juneau seeking to visit the Mendenhall Glacier Recreation Area this summer as commercial tourism limits in the area are being reached at a rapid pace due to “unprecedented increases in visitation,” the Forest Service announced Friday."

https://www.juneauempire.com/news/unprecedented-visitors-at-mendenhall-glacier-rapidly-outpacing-allowed-capacity/?fbclid=IwAR2rMdm49it0PMpuNh6zUpswUY3wEmbUXwVs-hD1VSlE6HaPZv6bw0verpw

While reading the very informative article by Juseau Empire I could not help but make the comparison with the situation in New York City. The federal government recently approved that city's plan to implement a congestion pricing scheme putatively because of a concern that there are too many vehicles trying the enter the urban core. The actual logistics has not yet been decided upon, but there is great industry concern that commercial buses will be deemed to be an enemy in causing traffic congestion, and that as a result of commercial buses will be saddled with disproportionate fees for required permits to enter midtown Manhattan. private automobiles will likely be subjected to a modest fee. A consortium of bus companies, BUS4NYC, has been formed to counter this wrong-headed belief that commercial buses cause congestion, and has been lobbying with the correct analysis that "buses are part of the solution to congestion; NOT part of the problem."

The situation in Juneau is not vehicular traffic congestion but rather glacier visitor congestion. But the reaction of the Forest Service is like that of many in New York City, that the congestion problem is caused by commercial buses. Those wanting to visit the glacier by private automobile are subjected only to a modest visitor fee (five dollars per person), but those wanting to visit the glacier by bus are not only subjected to the same visitor fee but are now being outright refused entry. The correct response for traffic congestion in New York City is also the correct response for glacier visitor congestion in Juneau: buses are part of the solution to congestion, NOT part of the problem.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:33 AM, CLM0928 said:

......We are now looking into Evergreen/DLX Rides since they can drop off at the Visitor Center. 

We have used this company twice in the past (once last month) for transportation from Auke Bay to Mendenhall. Shane picked us up right on time. No permit restriction then. Not sure how it works now with limited or no permits.