Antarctica cruise and clothing

Mary229

48 minutes ago, cccole said:

OleSalt - I cannot find the name of the book you have previously recommended for this cruise.  I did not purchase it for my husband for Father's Day and want to get it for Christmas.  Help?  Thank you, Cherie

See link above -   the book "The Ship Beneath the Ice" (Bound) - finding the Endurance.

The author ties it into Shackleton's own diary for the same locations. One is a high tech adventure today; the other is the most amazing low-tech story of human survival and caring for his crew. 

@cccole I highly recommend The Ship Beneath the Sea.  I also really enjoyed The Endurance: Shackleton’s Legendary Antarctic Expedition by Caroline Alexander. 

Another excellent read is The Wager: a tale of shipwreck , mutiny and murder by David Grann set in the 1740s South America.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 7:37 AM, Mary229 said:

Thanks.  My intention is now a Texas suit for him (very similar to an Alaska suit) and shiny shirts with black slacks for me. 

Mary, we are in Manta, Ecuador now on Oosterdam. We've had 2 DRESSY nights. That is how they refer to it in the program. They provided a Gala menu in MDR last night. Dress was widely varied from men with short sleeve polo shirts and Khakis to summer dresses and tennis shoes, dress shirt with and without ties, shirts with sport jackets, dressy blouses and slacks, and few going all out with sparkly outfits and dress shoes. I saw no tuxes. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Mary, we are in Manta, Ecuador now on Oosterdam. We've had 2 DRESSY nights. That is how they refer to it in the program. They provided a Gala menu in MDR last night. Dress was widely varied from men with short sleeve polo shirts and Khakis to summer dresses and tennis shoes, dress shirt with and without ties, shirts with sport jackets, dressy blouses and slacks, and few going all out with sparkly outfits and dress shoes. I saw no tuxes. Hope this helps.

Do they sell bottled water or cans for shore excursions?  Need to know if I need to pack a water bottle.  We board her on the 16th.

They sell water for excursions but I suggest you bring your own water bottle.Last cruise they only had cans which is very inconvenient once opened.  Also, I drink the ship’s water; I don’t buy water.

13 hours ago, 0106 said:

They sell water for excursions but I suggest you bring your own water bottle.Last cruise they only had cans which is very inconvenient once opened.  Also, I drink the ship’s water; I don’t buy water.

Thanks. Was afraid of that. Can is no help for a day trip

2 hours ago, mustgo said:

I think we will just pack a couple of empty water bottles from home

HAL's goal is to reduce plastic waste which is why all of this has become so difficult now. So in that spirit,  be sure to pack them back out with you when you leave.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:16 PM, 0106 said:

@cccole I highly recommend The Ship Beneath the Sea.  I also really enjoyed The Endurance: Shackleton’s Legendary Antarctic Expedition by Caroline Alexander. 

Another excellent read is The Wager: a tale of shipwreck , mutiny and murder by David Grann set in the 1740s South America.

We bought The Wager, will be reading it on our voyage.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

HAL's goal is to reduce plastic waste which is why all of this has become so difficult now. So in that spirit,  be sure to pack them back out with you when you leave.

Already the plan

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 10:51 AM, Dobby36 said:

I was also on Oosterdam in 2023 BA to Santiago, and agree that many dressed for comfort.  There was still the occasional gown or tux, but much more rare than the Mediterranean cruise I took on Eurodam the year prior. 

oh that would be good it I do not need to bring anything formal

Just now, 1MommaD said:

oh that would be good it I do not need to bring anything formal

I am not.  DH will have his sports jacket and he will be far dressier than me.  South America has the worst baggage handlers on earth and that is my key consideration. My checked bags will only have things that I could manage without. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 9:56 AM, AKJonesy said:

@Mary229 I'll make a note to myself when I arrive home 12-17 to let you know what the dress situation is.  We are on Oosterdam from Ft. Lauderdale Nov 15 to Santiago, then down around the horn over to Falklands then up to Buenos Aires disembarking Dec 16.  

That would be very much appreciated!

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am not.  DH will have his sports jacket and he will be far dressier than me.  South America has the worst baggage handlers on earth and that is my key consideration. My checked bags will only have things that I could manage without. 

Thank you for your advice.