My first Crossing. A first timer’s perspective.

steve4031

4 hours ago, steve4031 said:

IMHO the economics of a crossing makes sense.  The cost of one business class ticket to Europe is 8,000.  For 4,000 two can go in a balcony cabin.  With 7 days of meals and entertainment included. Jet lag going eastward becomes a non issue with the gradual process of adding an hour each day as you go east.  

You can fly business class much cheaper than $8000 one way!  I just did a quick search and found Delta/Virgin Atlantic flights for under $2600 return from New York to London.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:17 AM, Jack E Dawson said:

I completely agree with you about the fish and chips but EVERYTHING in the Golden Lion Pub is excellent. Try them all. 
Also agree with you about the ice cream in the MDR. If they have it, the Rum Raisin is over the top good. 
Jack

The rum and raisin ice cream is the same one they serve in QG.  I often request it when it’s not on the menu.  It’s particularly nice with a flambé Banana Foster prepared table side!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve4031 said:

IMHO the economics of a crossing makes sense.  The cost of one business class ticket to Europe is 8,000.  For 4,000 two can go in a balcony cabin.  With 7 days of meals and entertainment included. Jet lag going eastward becomes a non issue with the gradual process of adding an hour each day as you go east.  

When we first booked a TA on QM2 in 2019, we booked a two-week Westbound sailing with stops in Liverpool, an overnight in Reykjavik, Corner Book Newfoundland, and Halifax. We thought we would fly over early and spend  few days touring before joining the ship. It turned out to be cheaper for us to sail the preceding Eastbound crossing in an inside cabin and meant only an extra two days out of the office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

The rum and raisin ice cream is the same one they serve in QG.  I often request it when it’s not on the menu.  It’s particularly nice with a flambé Banana Foster prepared table side!

Dulce de Leche ice cream is wondrous, but they don’t often seem do it.

• Like 1

Just now, nybumpkin said:

When we first booked a TA on QM2 in 2019, we booked a two-week Westbound sailing with stops in Liverpool, an overnight in Reykjavik, Corner Book Newfoundland, and Halifax. We thought we would fly over early and spend  few days touring before joining the ship. It turned out to be cheaper for us to sail the preceding Eastbound crossing in an inside cabin and meant only an extra two days out of the office.

Our first time on Cunard was a one way westbound TA. It was our table mates at dinner who tsk tsk-ed for spending more to fly to London than had we sailed both directions. We've sailed roundtrip ever since. @steve4031 is correct on cost of business class seats for those of us not fortunate enough to fly out of a major airport. Airfare to a US port is much more tolerable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fourmile.ranch said:

Our first time on Cunard was a one way westbound TA. It was our table mates at dinner who tsk tsk-ed for spending more to fly to London than had we sailed both directions. We've sailed roundtrip ever since. @steve4031 is correct on cost of business class seats for those of us not fortunate enough to fly out of a major airport. Airfare to a US port is much more tolerable.

Though you can always book a separate connecting flight in economy for a few hundred dollars?  If you are not based near New York you’d need to do something similar to connect to the ship anyway?

Just checked Virgin Atlantic Upper for the dates of my trip and its $13,300 for 2

Nearly 2 grand for basic econ for 2 

I would need to fly at least fly Premium and that would cost me more than 6 grand. 

I got my crossing for half that. I know what I prefer.

Can't stand the hassle of flying. Thankful for QM2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Dulce de Leche ice cream is wondrous, but they don’t often seem do it.

If you like Dulce de Leche ice cream (or anything dulce de leche, actually!)  there is a store that delivers everywhere in the UK and isn't too expensive, not sure if it can be named? I assume is fine because is not a travel agent ...? but will hold just in case 🙂

3 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

If you like Dulce de Leche ice cream (or anything dulce de leche, actually!)  there is a store that delivers everywhere in the UK and isn't too expensive, not sure if it can be named? I assume is fine because is not a travel agent ...? but will hold just in case 🙂

Haagan Daz. I had it delivered by an upmarket groceries delivery service the last time I had a delivery.

I might have to see if that can be a QG off menu request.

39 minutes ago, moses0 said:

Just checked Virgin Atlantic Upper for the dates of my trip and its $13,300 for 2

Nearly 2 grand for basic econ for 2 

I would need to fly at least fly Premium and that would cost me more than 6 grand. 

I got my crossing for half that. I know what I prefer.

Can't stand the hassle of flying. Thankful for QM2

Is that from NY?  Going the other way I’ve never paid more than £2.5k for business class return on BA when booking 6 months in advance -during a sale.  If I was booking only a few weeks ahead, or if my itinerary didn’t include a Saturday night away it could cost significantly more.  However I normally plan my holidays 6+ months ahead to take advantage of the cheaper fares.  I do agree though that you could do a return cheaper on Cunard than 2 business class flights - though probably not in Grills.

Edited by Se1lad

4 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

excuse my ignorance, what is an Esta?

its an electronic visa waiver-replaced the old green forms you used to fill out on the airplae and invariably I wrote on wrong line!

it costs $14 and lasts 2 years and required for entry to USA from UK

Bizarly you are recommended to print out an electronic form and it never fits the page correctly unless you adjust settings on your printer

and yes the requirement to get off the ship.go through immigration then sit in an area until allowed back on board is a pain-do an excursion that day 

• Like 1

oh @Host Hattie I wish I owned it!!! we spent enormous amount of money with them LOL

@Victoria2 yes, I know the Haagen Daz, but this is Casa Argentina, the dulce de leche ice cream they make is superior to Haagen Daz, as is one of their national specialities... 🙂

Back to the QM2, my daughter is already dreaming of sailing after reading all the comments about ice cream... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Haagan Daz. I had it delivered by an upmarket groceries delivery service the last time I had a delivery.

I might have to see if that can be a QG off menu request.

I asked last year. They said they would be happy to do it, but they didn’t have Dulce de Leche on board. They did make caramel for me (and indeed, everyone else) as an alternative. So you might need to ring up and suggest they acquire some before the voyage.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I live in Chicago and rarely see 2500 rt businesses class fares.  

Agreed. We paid $4200 RT per person for our June cruise from Chicago to London business class (United Polaris). After I purchased 3 tickets at that price, the next time I checked it was $10000 per ticket.  Premium Economy was then $4000 and regular economy, which my sister flew, was $2200.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I asked last year. They said they would be happy to do it, but they didn’t have Dulce de Leche on board. They did make caramel for me (and indeed, everyone else) as an alternative. So you might need to ring up and suggest they acquire some before the voyage.

Thanks, but not that bothered as I like the Haagan Daz.

MrsPeel55 I will give your brand a try, Thx.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

Is that from NY?  Going the other way I’ve never paid more than £2.5k for business class return on BA when booking 6 months in advance -during a sale.  If I was booking only a few weeks ahead, or if my itinerary didn’t include a Saturday night away it could cost significantly more.  However I normally plan my holidays 6+ months ahead to take advantage of the cheaper fares.  I do agree though that you could do a return cheaper on Cunard than 2 business class flights - though probably not in Grills.

from Orlando

About midnight was wide awake and hungry.  I hopefully called room service to order a cheeseburger.  I expected to be told no luck.  Last night of cruise.  Instead I received an apology that they only had cheddar cheese, not American.  I gleefully ordered the cheeseburger.  It was delicious.  An excellent last impression of Cunard.  

We arrived Southampton at about 1:30.   

• Like 3