Is Blacklane very good?

commodoredave

I received an email blast from Blacklane this week boasting about their great service. However, when I clicked through to the Blacklane reviews on TrustPilot (link below), the ratings were only 3.3 our of 5, and 20% of them were 2 stars or less. 

The main criticisms revolved around last-minute cancellations by Blacklane, drivers who refused to pick up passengers because they claimed they had too much luggage, or the plane was late and the driver wouldn't wait. Also some comments about extra fees and surcharges. Apparently, many of the Blacklane drivers are contractors, and they are not as reliable as companies with their own cars and drivers.

When I used them my only criticism was that the Blacklane online booking system would automatically change the time I booked in Lisbon time back to Toronto time, meaning my car would be turning up 6 hours earlier than I wanted. So I had to book for six hours later than I wanted local time, and the system changed it to want I wanted. Several people on our cruise waiting at the Lisbon cruise terminal found this out the hard way.

Anyone with a good or bad experience with Blacklane?

Blacklane Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.blacklane.com (trustpilot.com)

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

Apparently, many of the Blacklane drivers are contractors

I think they are all contractors. Blacklane does not own and operate limousines; it books small- to medium-sized limo companies in cities where it operates. It's a booking operator. 

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

When I used them my only criticism was that the Blacklane online booking system would automatically change the time I booked in Lisbon time back to Toronto time, meaning my car would be turning up 6 hours earlier than I wanted.

But the Blacklane trips included by Silversea are for trips from your home to your departing airport, and back upon your return. Presumably, all in the same time zone! If you used the included Blacklane offer for rides in your cruise boarding or disembarkation city, I guess that works, but it's not what's intended to be done wit the D2D service. 

We have used Blacklane services for just one trip so far. Both our pickup at home and our pickup at the airport upon return were flawless. The friends we traveled with had an equally good experience. 

Edited by cruiseej

10 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I think they are all contractors. Blacklane does not own and operate limousines; it books small- to medium-sized limo companies in cities where it operates. It's a booking operator. 

But the Blacklane trips included by Silversea are for trips from your home to your departing airport, and back upon your return. Presumably, all in the same time zone! If you used the included Blacklane offer for rides in your cruise boarding or disembarkation city, I guess that works, but it's not what's intended to be done wit the D2D service. 

We have used Blacklane services for just one trip so far. Both our pickup at home and our pickup at the airport upon return were flawless. The friends we traveled with had an equally good experience. 

We were on a trans- Atlantic and lots of people were using their second transfer in Lisbon. Transfers have a date limit, so sometimes it’s the only way it will work. Our friends also used Blacklane in London.

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Absolutely correct.  They are merely a booking portal, akin to other third-party travel sites.

So, they are like a Viator or other tour booking portal - you are at the mercy of whom they choose to contract with.  Plus, you have to think that Blacklane is taking a cut of the action.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, commodoredave said:

I received an email blast from Blacklane this week boasting about their great service. However, when I clicked through to the Blacklane reviews on TrustPilot (link below), the ratings were only 3.3 our of 5, and 20% of them were 2 stars or less. 

The main criticisms revolved around last-minute cancellations by Blacklane, drivers who refused to pick up passengers because they claimed they had too much luggage, or the plane was late and the driver wouldn't wait. Also some comments about extra fees and surcharges. Apparently, many of the Blacklane drivers are contractors, and they are not as reliable as companies with their own cars and drivers.

When I used them my only criticism was that the Blacklane online booking system would automatically change the time I booked in Lisbon time back to Toronto time, meaning my car would be turning up 6 hours earlier than I wanted. So I had to book for six hours later than I wanted local time, and the system changed it to want I wanted. Several people on our cruise waiting at the Lisbon cruise terminal found this out the hard way.

Anyone with a good or bad experience with Blacklane?

Blacklane Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.blacklane.com (trustpilot.com)

Find a chauffeur company and book directly with them.

Why use a booking agent.

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So, they are like a Viator or other tour booking portal - you are at the mercy of whom they choose to contract with.  Plus, you have to think that Blacklane is taking a cut of the action.

Caveat emptor.

And you'd have to think that SS are taking a cut too.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Find a chauffeur company and book directly with them.

Why use a booking agent.

Agree. Is it possible to get a credit back from SS for the value of the Blacklane transfers? I would imagine there are many people like me who have been using the same chauffeur company for many years and would like to stay with them. 

24 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Agree. Is it possible to get a credit back from SS for the value of the Blacklane transfers? I would imagine there are many people like me who have been using the same chauffeur company for many years and would like to stay with them. 

We did get a credit. After receiving emails about using Blacklane we decided to give it a go and paid the credit back.  Then we found out Blacklane would not service us.  Silversea would only refund 75%. Just crazy.  

31 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Is it suggested to tip the Blacklane driver?

Difficult to say.  If you book direct with them, it would be no.  From their web page...

All-inclusive pricing

Count on all-inclusive rates — that's all taxes, tips, and tolls — confirmed before booking.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

FWIW:  They get about $300 one way from our house to the airport if booking direct.

Blacklane doesn’t offer service in my area, so we always book with the local limo service that we have used forever.  They are always available for us, never late, and reasonably priced.  They even diverted a car to New York City to pick us up when we missed a flight connection in Madrid and were rebooked to JFK instead of Boston.  Now that is what I call customer service.  I would bet Blacklane wouldn’t do that even if they operated in my area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Is it suggested to tip the Blacklane driver?

Only if you want to tip twice.  I don’t. 

“Tips and gratuities are already included in our rates, as well as all taxes, tolls, and fees. If a chauffeur requests any form of payment or advertises alternative services, please let us know by providing feedback after the ride.”

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

I would bet Blacklane wouldn’t do that even if they operated in my area.

Given that Blacklane doesn't actually operate ANY of the limo services provided, who would know. 

Remember....all they are is a booking portal.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Given that Blacklane doesn't actually operate ANY of the limo services provided, who would know. 

Remember....all they are is a booking portal.  Nothing more, nothing less.

And as a booking portal, not likely to deviate service to accommodate an unexpected change. 

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

And as a booking portal, not likely to deviate service to accommodate an unexpected change. 

As this will be our first encounter with Blacklane (we normally work with Eight Black Cars here in the Denver area) ...

When it comes to communications on the day of travel, are we talking to Blacklane or the local agency they front for?  Don't relish the idea of a go-between if the logistics start to go sideways. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:08 AM, canderson said:

As this will be our first encounter with Blacklane (we normally work with Eight Black Cars here in the Denver area) ...

When it comes to communications on the day of travel, are we talking to Blacklane or the local agency they front for?  Don't relish the idea of a go-between if the logistics start to go sideways. 

In my case, it was the local drivers in Toronto and Lisbon who sent me a text message about an hour before arrival to confirm the ride.