Live from Britannia

Selbourne

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

Selbourne was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Good afternoon all. As some of you know, we have boarded Britannia today for our first P&O cruise since Covid (we did an excellent one on QM2 in May). 

First of all, may I thank most sincerely those of you who have wished us a very happy cruise, which we certainly intend to have. In particular, I would also like to thank @AndyMichelle 

@P&O SUE @TigerB @Interestedcruisefan and others for  their excellent tips based on their recent cruises, all of which are much appreciated and duly noted!

I don’t intend to provide a live blog, primarily for two reasons. Firstly, I never buy the wi-fi package (I’m too tight, I use the free port Wi-Fi instead 😂) but also because one of our esteemed community seems to wait in anticipation for me to post anything that might not be 100% positive and pounces, making a sarcastic comment in response. In all honesty, I just can’t be bothered when I’m on holiday 😂 

Anyway, I often say that you only get one chance to make a first impression. Well, here’s mine based on our embarkation process and first afternoon so far. 

We arrived at Mayflower Cruise terminal at 1150. There was a long queue of the early arrivers, but as we had priority boarding and a 1215 time, by the time we had checked the car in with CPS and I had taken our suitcases to ‘Pod B’ (there are at least 4 pods) we were just a few minutes early. We were asked to show our boarding passes and were

directed straight into the terminal

👍

I was tempted not to bother with assisted embarkation, but we were intercepted by a ‘pusher’ as soon as we entered (there were a few waiting) and what followed was a blur 😂 We were checked in, through security and on the ship by 1210. Hugely impressive and sincere thanks, as always, to the assistance  team. 

I was glad that I had a pusher for my wife, as you now have to go directly to your muster station to be scanned, which was quite a trek, especially with hand luggage as well. Also, we were then given duff info about where the priority boarders lunch was. We were told it was deck 6 but when we got there it was deck 5. Anyway, we grabbed a table in Meridian restaurant and bade farewell to our lovely pusher. 

Well, the priority boarders lunch was a pleasant surprise. I have often spoken disparagingly about the poor buffet, but this was a proper restaurant meal, and very nice it was too. My dessert was poor, but that’s minor as the starter and main were excellent and service wasn’t rushed at all (we were asked to order desserts at the start, but we said we wanted to order after we’d had the main. No problem. The freebie fizz (not champagne) was better than the anti-freeze we’d had before and the red wine, whilst the cheap plonk, was also fine. Glasses were topped up regularly. 

Some of you will know that we were anxious to get all our speciality restaurant bookings secured, and I managed to do this in minutes whilst waiting for our lunch to arrive. 4 x Epicurean, 2 x Beach House and 2 x Sindhu all sorted. We only intend to have dinner in the MDR on formal nights, unless the speciality restaurants disappoint, in which case we shall cancel future bookings and go to the MDR more. May I thank whoever it was who had said that the last 6 numbers from your cruise card (which you don’t get until you get to your cabin later) was the same as the last 6 digits on your boarding pass. I’d already downloaded the My Holiday ‘app that isn’t an app’ before we left home, and this worked a treat in order to secure our bookings quickly. 

Our cabin is absolutely fine. Better flow space for my wife’s wheelchair than we had in our Princess Suite on Cunard in fact. Nice and modern. No sofa, but we knew that as it’s a standard (accessible) balcony cabin this time. Our cabin steward, Neville, has already introduced himself and asked if there’s anything else that we need, which is impressive. Mobility at Sea had fitted the bed lever (grab bar) by the side of the bed, which will be a great help to my wife. 

We have some noisy kids next door, which is a worry, but hopefully they will calm down once the initial excitement fades🤞

Hopefully I’m not tempting fate by saying this, but it’s been 10/10 so far. 

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Good afternoon all. As some of you know, we have boarded Britannia today for our first P&O cruise since Covid (we did an excellent one on QM2 in May). 

First of all, may I thank most sincerely those of you who have wished us a very happy cruise, which we certainly intend to have. In particular, I would also like to thank @AndyMichelle 

@P&O SUE @TigerB @Interestedcruisefan and others for  their excellent tips based on their recent cruises, all of which are much appreciated and duly noted!

I don’t intend to provide a live blog, primarily for two reasons. Firstly, I never buy the wi-fi package (I’m too tight, I use the free port Wi-Fi instead 😂) but also because one of our esteemed community seems to wait in anticipation for me to post anything that might not be 100% positive and pounces, making a sarcastic comment in response. In all honesty, I just can’t be bothered when I’m on holiday 😂 

Anyway, I often say that you only get one chance to make a first impression. Well, here’s mine based on our embarkation process and first afternoon so far. 

We arrived at Mayflower Cruise terminal at 1150. There was a long queue of the early arrivers, but as we had priority boarding and a 1215 time, by the time we had checked the car in with CPS and I had taken our suitcases to ‘Pod B’ (there are at least 4 pods) we were just a few minutes early. We were asked to show our boarding passes and were

directed straight into the terminal

👍

I was tempted not to bother with assisted embarkation, but we were intercepted by a ‘pusher’ as soon as we entered (there were a few waiting) and what followed was a blur 😂 We were checked in, through security and on the ship by 1210. Hugely impressive and sincere thanks, as always, to the assistance  team. 

I was glad that I had a pusher for my wife, as you now have to go directly to your muster station to be scanned, which was quite a trek, especially with hand luggage as well. Also, we were then given duff info about where the priority boarders lunch was. We were told it was deck 6 but when we got there it was deck 5. Anyway, we grabbed a table in Meridian restaurant and bade farewell to our lovely pusher. 

Well, the priority boarders lunch was a pleasant surprise. I have often spoken disparagingly about the poor buffet, but this was a proper restaurant meal, and very nice it was too. My dessert was poor, but that’s minor as the starter and main were excellent and service wasn’t rushed at all (we were asked to order desserts at the start, but we said we wanted to order after we’d had the main. No problem. The freebie fizz (not champagne) was better than the anti-freeze we’d had before and the red wine, whilst the cheap plonk, was also fine. Glasses were topped up regularly. 

Some of you will know that we were anxious to get all our speciality restaurant bookings secured, and I managed to do this in minutes whilst waiting for our lunch to arrive. 4 x Epicurean, 2 x Beach House and 2 x Sindhu all sorted. We only intend to have dinner in the MDR on formal nights, unless the speciality restaurants disappoint, in which case we shall cancel future bookings and go to the MDR more. May I thank whoever it was who had said that the last 6 numbers from your cruise card (which you don’t get until you get to your cabin later) was the same as the last 6 digits on your boarding pass. I’d already downloaded the My Holiday ‘app that isn’t an app’ before we left home, and this worked a treat in order to secure our bookings quickly. 

Our cabin is absolutely fine. Better flow space for my wife’s wheelchair than we had in our Princess Suite on Cunard in fact. Nice and modern. No sofa, but we knew that as it’s a standard (accessible) balcony cabin this time. Our cabin steward, Neville, has already introduced himself and asked if there’s anything else that we need, which is impressive. Mobility at Sea had fitted the bed lever (grab bar) by the side of the bed, which will be a great help to my wife. 

We have some noisy kids next door, which is a worry, but hopefully they will calm down once the initial excitement fades🤞

I hope your cruise continues to be excellent @Selbourne .

Good to hear you got your speciality restaurants booked and hopefully you will both have a fantastic cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

So glad you are off to a good start. 

That was a good tip about the last 6 digits, I used it but can't remember who posted it. Whoever it was, thank you so much. 

Have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

I think a couple of us mentioned it Andy.

I have used this knowledge several times now to book on the app which as soon as you can receive the ships free WiFi you are good to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Good afternoon all. As some of you know, we have boarded Britannia today

Likewise, on the same cruise and 15 minutes behind you boarding. 

41 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yep, so far so good. 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Good to hear everything is going well.

We are on Britannia in September so am following this thread as well as having followed Andy's, for any hints and tips, etc.

The biggest ‘top tip’ so far (which I can’t claim as my own) is that you can log on to My Holiday using the last 6 digits of your boarding pass number and don’t have to wait until you get your cruise cards. 

By 4.30pm most of the bookings we made earlier for speciality restaurants are no longer available. There are still spaces for earlier and later times, but one or two days are sold out already. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t intend to provide a live blog, primarily for two reasons. Firstly, I never buy the wi-fi package (I’m too tight, I use the free port Wi-Fi instead 😂) but also because one of our esteemed community seems to wait in anticipation for me to post anything that might not be 100% positive and pounces, making a sarcastic comment in response. 

I've read something in your initial report that was only 99.99% positive, so this is me pouncing.....

(Only joshing!)

I would be interested to know what cabin grade you are in, and the location. When we've been on Britannia previously, we've only been in the two HD accessible cabins on deck 14 aft. I have wondered if there is any difference internally with the HB or HA grades, or if it's just the location.

Tell me about the bed rail / grab bar would you please; i.e. type and hire cost, if any?  Our lass uses one at home, and on our last trip I mentioned about taking it with us. Hers is similar to this...Screenshot_2023-07-07-17-02-02-1672.jpeg.9fa6cee9a5ccca71ac3dbd36cdb8a28b.jpeg

where most of it sits under the mattress. It would a bit cumbersome to carry with the luggage. I wasn't aware you could hire from Mobility At Sea.

I'm glad you got the speciality restaurants sorted early doors; it's a pity you weren't able to book on the cruise planner and save a few quid.

Hopefully, Epicurean will be better for you two than it was for Andy and Michelle.🤞

Which brings me on to a tasty subject, Operation Double Dessert in the Epicurean.  You only mentioned that you meant a sweet dessert and a cheese plate after I had posted about my successful mission on Iona last month, and in doing so, suffered the daggers stare from my good lady, and the later indigestion.  So, your penance young man is to, on one of your four visits, have two sweet desserts......photo evidence required!  If you feel really brave, you can do the triple, and get the cheese plate too!🤭  No pressure!

Anyway, have a really fantastic cruise. 🙂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

So glad you are off to a good start. 

That was a good tip about the last 6 digits, I used it but can't remember who posted it. Whoever it was, thank you so much. 

Have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I think a couple of us mentioned it Andy.

I have used this knowledge several times now to book on the app which as soon as you can receive the ships free WiFi you are good to go.

I wouldn't have known about this without coming on these boards, and used it to good effect last month.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The biggest ‘top tip’ so far (which I can’t claim as my own) is that you can log on to My Holiday using the last 6 digits of your boarding pass number and don’t have to wait until you get your cruise cards. 

By 4.30pm most of the bookings we made earlier for speciality restaurants are no longer available. There are still spaces for earlier and later times, but one or two days are sold out already. 

Thanks, I've got that one. My holiday is still on my phone from my last cruise, so just need to log in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well, the priority boarders lunch was a pleasant surprise. I have often spoken disparagingly about the poor buffet, but this was a proper restaurant meal, and very nice it was too. My dessert was poor, but that’s minor as the starter and main were excellent and service wasn’t rushed at all (we were asked to order desserts at the start, but we said we wanted to order after we’d had the main. No problem. The freebie fizz (not champagne) was better than the anti-freeze we’d had before and the red wine, whilst the cheap plonk, was also fine. Glasses were topped up regularly

We are on Britannia July 2024 so hope we also get a proper served meal. That said our past 5 P&O cruises have been Iona/Arvia and we both love the chicken tikka masala from the embarkation buffet but a sit down served meal will be even better. Getting a drink has been difficult I will admit though on Iona/Arvia! We are also currently booked on Arvia for April next year but after a bad cruise on Arvia last April (mainly horrendous dining room waits) I’m thinking of trying to change to Ventura and traditional dining. Not that it would sway the decision but what does Ventura do now for the Caribbean and above embarkation lunch, buffet or served meal?

18 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I've read something in your initial report that was only 99.99% positive, so this is me pouncing.....

(Only joshing!)

I would be interested to know what cabin grade you are in, and the location. When we've been on Britannia previously, we've only been in the two HD accessible cabins on deck 14 aft. I have wondered if there is any difference internally with the HB or HA grades, or if it's just the location.

Tell me about the bed rail / grab bar would you please; i.e. type and hire cost, if any?  Our lass uses one at home, and on our last trip I mentioned about taking it with us. Hers is similar to this...Screenshot_2023-07-07-17-02-02-1672.jpeg.9fa6cee9a5ccca71ac3dbd36cdb8a28b.jpeg

where most of it sits under the mattress. It would a bit cumbersome to carry with the luggage. I wasn't aware you could hire from Mobility At Sea.

I'm glad you got the speciality restaurants sorted early doors; it's a pity you weren't able to book on the cruise planner and save a few quid.

Hopefully, Epicurean will be better for you two than it was for Andy and Michelle.🤞

Which brings me on to a tasty subject, Operation Double Dessert in the Epicurean.  You only mentioned that you meant a sweet dessert and a cheese plate after I had posted about my successful mission on Iona last month, and in doing so, suffered the daggers stare from my good lady, and the later indigestion.  So, your penance young man is to, on one of your four visits, have two sweet desserts......photo evidence required!  If you feel really brave, you can do the triple, and get the cheese plate too!🤭  No pressure!

The cabin is HD grade deck 14 aft, so probably the same one as yours! 

The device is called ‘Bed Lever 2’. Here’s the link though my wife says what we have is a bit different. 

https://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/bed-lever

It’s £45 plus £3.50 a day. They board the ship and set it up to your pre-determined preference. When you disembark you just leave it and they board to collect it. As you will know, things like this can be a life saver. 

I will admit defeat now re the double desserts (please don’t hold me accountable for your misunderstanding 😉) but I am up for the pud followed by cheese if I’m still peckish 🤣.

First Epicurean visit tonight as we always avoid the first night scrum in the MDR. I am so hoping that we have a better experience than Andy (food and service) and don’t have any noisy groups. 🤞

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

We are on Britannia July 2024 so hope we also get a proper served meal. That said our past 5 P&O cruises have been Iona/Arvia and we both love the chicken tikka masala from the embarkation buffet but a sit down served meal will be even better. Getting a drink has been difficult I will admit though on Iona/Arvia! We are also currently booked on Arvia for April next year but after a bad cruise on Arvia last April (mainly horrendous dining room waits) I’m thinking of trying to change to Ventura and traditional dining. Not that it would sway the decision but what does Ventura do now for the Caribbean and above embarkation lunch, buffet or served meal?

We are on Ventura in October. If nobody responds I’ll let you know then. 

32 minutes ago, TigerB said:

(Only joshing!)

This was my favourite Epicurean desert.

White chocolate sphere with candy floss, popcorn and creme brulle.

The chocolates were nice too.

IMG_20230606_194928.jpg.3fbd1c53a973eb3267301473d597299c.jpg

IMG_20230608_194125.jpg.ffe79deea5937d165e4ea80548fb7ea7.jpg

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Thanks, I've got that one. My holiday is still on my phone from my last cruise, so just need to log in. 

Remember your phone needs to be in airplane mode and go into phone settings for P&O free WiFi.

You need to put your name etc back on the P&O holiday app as well as the last 6 numbers on your boarding card and save details.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

The cabin is HD grade deck 14 aft, so probably the same one as yours! 

The device is called ‘Bed Lever 2’. Here’s the link though my wife says what we have is a bit different. 

https://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/bed-lever

It’s £45 plus £3.50 a day. They board the ship and set it up to your pre-determined preference. When you disembark you just leave it and they board to collect it. As you will know, things like this can be a life saver. 

I will admit defeat now re the double desserts (please don’t hold me accountable for your misunderstanding 😉) but I am up for the pud followed by cheese if I’m still peckish 🤣.

First Epicurean visit tonight as we always avoid the first night scrum in the MDR. I am so hoping that we have a better experience than Andy (food and service) and don’t have any noisy groups. 🤞

Lightweight! 🤭😉

Yes, we've been in both of those cabins. Ideally situated for bobbing up two flights to the Horizon to get chilled water for during the night, and for the lift that takes you up to deck 18.  I would say they're close to the laundry too, but you're going to get a young man (or lady) to do yours.😉

Thanks for the information about the rail; I'll look into that for our next trip.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Oh yes, had that. It was nice😋

• Like 2

Well that’s lunch worked off in the gym, with a never ending stream of people walking through exploring the ship, realising it is a dead end other than the entry to the oddly placed cookery school kitchen (the design of some of P&O ships is distinctly odd) and then having to U turn. 

Now a G&T on the balcony before a late dinner and show as we have just cast off. 

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 10

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

IMG_20230608_194125.jpg.ffe79deea5937d165e4ea80548fb7ea7.jpg

How many of you were there? We only got 1 chocolate each and didn't get to choose like previously. 

Andy 

• Like 1