How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

On 7/8/2023 at 6:37 AM, mysty said:

Why did you book Silversea?  Just a question.   

We booked Silversea because we saw an ad and loved the itinerary; which was unlike any we had seen offered before.

We have done numerous cruises, and it hasn’t been an issue ‘dressing up’, but imho travel has become more complicated post Covid, with airlines cutting back in luggage requirements, and passengers being more concerned about losing their checked in luggage.

I believe our Greenland cruise isn’t as formal as other cruises. We are going to a wedding in Denmark prior to the cruise, so we will at least have those clothes to wear on the ‘informal’ night.

I think much depends on how far away a passenger is from their destinations and port, and just how much you can carry?

if you’re doing a land based tour in Alaska or Iceland, you need to make room for practical cold weather gear, so you have to weigh up what’s important.

I don’t think passengers should stress over what they are going to wear for dinner on two nights of a cruise. I like to believe that the pandemic gave us all the opportunity to gain a reality check on what’s really important in life. Many of us are just thankful to be able to explore the world again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RonWL said:

If I had known that there would be two formal nights (plus several "informal" men wear jackets nights) on our 11-day cruise, I probably wouldn't have booked it.  One costume party is enough.  I did book the Italian restaurant for the two nights (one night is waitlisted, however, showing there are likely a few others who are not interested in dressing to the nines), so all will work out in the end.  We'll see.  I have only myself to blame for not having researched the topic before booking.  Everything else about Silversea sounds fabulous.  I am still looking forward to it and I'm sure we'll have a great time in Canada.

I hope you have an awesome time! 

I usually only take one suitcase (18-20kg) and a carry-on, but still have plenty of dressy clothes for formal and informal dining. Base black with various jackets, cardis or kimonos for most nights.  Two dressy dresses for formal nights. Post pandemic I want to dress up to go dining, and there is little opportunity at most (not all) restaurants on land.  For my 30 nights on Silver Muse I will probably take two suitcases with me and really enjoy wearing different outfits.  I hand wash them all, roll in a towel, and hang in the shower to dry.  If the destination requires a bulky coat, that can be carried over the suitcase handle if there is not enough space in the case.

If I am going halfway around the world for a long cruise, I want to enjoy myself and feel good too.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 5:49 AM, TomBeckCruise said:

We looked at Regent, but didn't find a cruise that was desirable.  The 8-14 Quebec City and return on

Shadow was perfect.

About 10 year ago I told a friend that I now only wear a suit for weddings and funerals.  His reply was,  " My wedding and my funeral".  That seems to be the way most of the US thinks these days. 

I'm not buying a new suit for two night on an 11 night cruise. 

I'll be wearing my blazer with gold buttons and a tie. 

As others have mentioned traveling is a pain these days. Lack of help at airports, etc. Traveling light is desirable.

My husband is an accountant whose office is in a traditional business district. In the past, it was frowned upon if you didn’t wear a business suit, tie and well shined shoes.

He still wears a shirt and tie most days, but has ditched the impractical jacket in our warm/hot climate (Australia).

It’s now unusual to see men wearing ties, and I’ve noticed it’s becoming more difficult to buy them. Most men are wearing nice shirts and trousers, and have ditched the ties. Accountants were one of the last professions to do so.

20 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Dolcediva:

We are having amazing storms…yesterday I think a tornado touched down. Once again we have an infinity pool/yard. Hope all ok by you

Spins, Thanks for asking.  We had some pretty intense thunderstorms up here over the past week, but not as bad as your area.  My fingers and everything else are crossed that the tropics remain quiet. My new roof was supposed to be installed in June but there was a further delay for the tiles, so my place is pretty vulnerable until the new roof is installed.   

It seems to me that nobody has any sympathy with the cruiselines in this matter.  Whatever they do one side of the argument will lose, so the only thing they can do is to limit both sides to parts   of the ship.  This argument which has taken 20 pages here and will probably go on to 40 or more is totally pointless.    The people who like to dress up have Atlantide, La Dame and probably Kaseiki and the informal people have the rest and there is really nothing the cruiselines or anybody else can do about it.

Let us practice the live and let live way  of life

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 4:02 AM, LAexNY said:

Wow!  Some people really get worked up over the dress code.  Funny, it seems to get more attention on CC than the ship, the cuisine, the service, the itineraries, the amenities, the entertainment.  Those are some of the things I care about and the things that influence my choice of a cruise line.

100%!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I've never heard of Silversea throwing a costume party before.  Are you cruising over Halloween?

2 hours ago, RonWL said:

Maybe they should.  That would actually be fun.

So it's asking too much to pack and wear a jacket and tie, but hey, let's bring costumes and have a costume party?  🤦‍♀️😅

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, david63 said:

$$$$$$$$

It is all about money and trying get a big a share of an expanding market.

So the cruise line has adopted the "lowest common denominator" line of reasoning.

2 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

So it's asking too much to pack and wear a jacket and tie, but hey, let's bring costumes and have a costume party? 

Skip the jacket and tie 🙃.  Seriously, on Uniworld's River Sphinx we had an evening with local dress.  The ship had costumes if you wanted, but I just bought something cheap locally.  Not sure if I'll ever wear that again - probably should have given it to the ship for future passengers to wear.

2 hours ago, bitob said:

"For the masquerade ball you just need one of those Venetian type masks on a stick. Available on Amazon. It is not a costume party."

This news is a bit disconcerting. It was on my bucket list to do a Cunard transatlantic and bring my ren faire kit (minus the rapier) for the masquerade.

C'est la vie. 😄

20180903_123018.thumb.jpg.88b1bc7febea740eb0735f606ccf1a77.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, no1talks said:

This news is a bit disconcerting. It was on my bucket list to do a Cunard transatlantic and bring my ren faire kit (minus the rapier) for the masquerade.

C'est la vie. 😄

20180903_123018.thumb.jpg.88b1bc7febea740eb0735f606ccf1a77.jpg

My husband owns full Wyatt Earp garb. I forbid him from bringing it

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bitob said:

Offending a paying guest is not part of the protocol. They can ask nicely or offer a jacket but they will never refuse entry 

I don't mean to imply that they should insult the guest.  But certainly they could politely say "Sir, we require a jacket for this restaurant tonight, as stated in the ________ [daily schedule or tv or whatever it is].  I would be happy for you to dine with us tonight when you are appropriately attired, or may I suggest __________ [whatever alternative restaurants there are]."   And then don't let him through.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rothko1 said:

I don't mean to imply that they should insult the guest.  But certainly they could politely say "Sir, we require a jacket for this restaurant tonight, as stated in the ________ [daily schedule or tv or whatever it is].  I would be happy for you to dine with us tonight when you are appropriately attired, or may I suggest __________ [whatever alternative restaurants there are]."   And then don't let him through.

Although your prompts are polite it comes down to $. The cruise line wants to have the widest customer base to drive revenue and the onboard staff is revenue and tip based. 
I agree with other that in this tight competition for $ this is not a fight or even a discussion that people want to have.

I hope the rigid guidelines (men in jackets) go away and let people be adults and dress as they see fit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

“I paid $$ for this cruise and I’m going to eat where I want “

unfortunately not all guests respond with civility

Just now, bitob said:

“I paid $$ for this cruise and I’m going to eat where I want “

unfortunately not all guests respond with civility

What if the guest went to La Dame on a night when they have no reservation and said the same thing?  Do you just shrug and set them up in a table? 

1 minute ago, Rothko1 said:

What if the guest went to La Dame on a night when they have no reservation and said the same thing?  Do you just shrug and set them up in a table? 

Don’t find that equivalent. You can give them reservation for another night 

I’m just reporting what I was told. Apparently very difficult to enforce dress code. 

Just now, bitob said:

Don’t find that equivalent. You can give them reservation for another night 

I’m just reporting what I was told. Apparently very difficult to enforce dress code. 

"I don't want to eat here on another night.  I want to eat here now.  Do you know who I am?  I'm bla bla bla.....  I paid $$ for this cruise and I'm going to eat wherever I want."  

At some point you put the foot down and you don't reward the child for his tantrum.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

"I don't want to eat here on another night.  I want to eat here now.  Do you know who I am?  I'm bla bla bla.....  I paid $$ for this cruise and I'm going to eat wherever I want."  

At some point you put the foot down and you don't reward the child for his tantrum.

I agree

im not in charge

4 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

How about you let him in but give him a table by the kitchen door?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

How about you let him in but give him a table by the kitchen door?

And tell the chef to make his food with the extra sauce...

[And by that, I mean hot sauce, of course...]

• Haha 1