Cunard to NYC . One way travel insurance.

We are travelling to NYC en route to our home in Ohio. We are trying to arrange travel insurance ( both seniors) for the one way trip. Does anyone know, or have any tips for a suitable insurer. 

I have tried Cunard but they want me to take a yearly policy for circa £1200 each. That is not suitable. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you all in advance.

18 minutes ago, EasternWiseguy said:

We are travelling to NYC en route to our home in Ohio. We are trying to arrange travel insurance ( both seniors) for the one way trip. Does anyone know, or have any tips for a suitable insurer. 

I have tried Cunard but they want me to take a yearly policy for circa £1200 each. That is not suitable. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you all in advance.

Check with Alianz Travel insurance for the trip.   - they would probably come in somewhere between $600 and $900 for the two of you - cancellation, medical, evacuation, etc. covered 

3 hours ago, EasternWiseguy said:

We are travelling to NYC en route to our home in Ohio. We are trying to arrange travel insurance ( both seniors) for the one way trip.

Insurance is based on the cost of your trip, (cruise plus air) coverage and your age. One way has nothing to do with it. Any third party insurer would work. I have my travel agent get quotes from 3 or 4 companies and pick the lowest price for the coverage I want.

No one can recommend an insurer without knowing your circumstances. Check with a reputable broker who specializes in travel insurance. We use InsureMyTrip.com (as do many cruisers). Give them a call. There’s no charge to you.

For a good comprehensive policy, expect to pay about 10% of your trip cost as seniors 65+\-.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Insurance is based on the cost of your trip, (cruise plus air) coverage and your age. One way has nothing to do with it. Any third party insurer would work. I have my travel agent get quotes from 3 or 4 companies and pick the lowest price for the coverage I want.

IMHO I would have to disagree. I have contacted multiple insurers and so far have only found one that will ensure one-way trips. Most require you to return to the country you started in.  Eveb the broker I contacted could not find any.

Well after a day scraping the internet I managed to find an insurer for my one way trip. The company is based on the UK and is happy to insure European citizens. Whether they extend that facility to US citizens, I do not know. 

Calm seas everyone. 

1 hour ago, colingu said:

IMHO I would have to disagree. I have contacted multiple insurers and so far have only found one that will ensure one-way trips. Most require you to return to the country you started in.  Eveb the broker I contacted could not find any.

Maybe it is a European issue. I have taken one way cruises. Actually have done the QM2 to New York and had no problem finding insurance. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe it is a European issue. I have taken one way cruises. Actually have done the QM2 to New York and had no problem finding insurance. 

But did you fly out to start the cruise or fly home after the cruise? Making the holiday round trip?  I'm talking about a one way cruise starting in the UK, ending in New Zealand and then staying in New Zealand. So a one way holiday. 

1 minute ago, colingu said:

But did you fly out to start the cruise or fly home after the cruise? Making the holiday round trip?  I'm talking about a one way cruise starting in the UK, ending in New Zealand and then staying in New Zealand. So a one way holiday. 

That is a similar issue to me. Fortunately I found a decent company...not sure if I can post the details. Perhaps a moderator will advise?

14 minutes ago, EasternWiseguy said:

That is a similar issue to me. Fortunately I found a decent company...not sure if I can post the details. Perhaps a moderator will advise?

Could you DM me?

2 hours ago, colingu said:

Sounds like you’re not in the US where this would be no problem at all regardless of where you finish your trip.

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There is no DM on Cruise Critic. You are allowed to post the details.  

It's only the names of *travel agents* that cannot be posted.

Names/contacts for insurance, excursions, supply information, etc., are fine to be shared.

GC