Formal Nights

Aubriee01

Are there really any formal nights now?  I thought they had been replaced with elegant evenings, where guests are encouraged to dress up but won’t be denied seating in the dining room if they show up in shorts or jeans.  

Last sailed in 2021 on NCL and it was a 7-day, I thought there was 1 cruise elegant? But maybe 2? I don't remember anyone being very dressed up but also it was pretty empty - ships had just started sailing post covid.

I will be on a 6 day on the Mardi Gras in September and since it will be hot I am hoping for only 1 tbh lol.  It's the Caribbean, I need cocktails and the pool and I am good.

If anyone can confirm the number of nights cruise elegant on the Mardi Gras 6 day cruise I wold appreciate it- even better if you know the night.

1 hour ago, Aubriee01 said:

How many on a 14 day cruise?

I asked about both a 6 day and a 14 day because we are going on a 6 day Caribbean cruise in Sept and then a 14 day Panama cruise in January and we're wondering how many and when the formal/elegant nights were.  Our first and second ever cruises, so we're excited!

Edited by Aubriee01

Not really "formal" anymore, just dressier or more elegant than casual and no beachwear, torn jeans, etc. Of course, everything still goes in buffet so you eat there on those nights.

Typically, I believe it's the first and last sea days.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

10 hours ago, gotscrapz said:

Last sailed in 2021 on NCL and it was a 7-day, I thought there was 1 cruise elegant? But maybe 2? I don't remember anyone being very dressed up but also it was pretty empty - ships had just started sailing post covid.

I will be on a 6 day on the Mardi Gras in September and since it will be hot I am hoping for only 1 tbh lol.  It's the Caribbean, I need cocktails and the pool and I am good.

If anyone can confirm the number of nights cruise elegant on the Mardi Gras 6 day cruise I wold appreciate it- even better if you know the night.

On 2-5 day cruises there is 1 elegant night.

On 6 or longer cruises there are 2 elegant nights.

Your elegant nights are typically your second, and second to last night on the ship. It's not always a sea day.

13 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Are there really any formal nights now?  I thought they had been replaced with elegant evenings, where guests are encouraged to dress up but won’t be denied seating in the dining room if they show up in shorts or jeans.  

On our three cruises in the last 14 months, we have discovered the dress code is a suggestion rather than a requirement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

On 2-5 day cruises there is 1 elegant night.

On 6 or longer cruises there are 2 elegant nights.

Your elegant nights are typically your second, and second to last night on the ship. It's not always a sea day.

Thank you! After thinking about it, I always wear a nice dress to dinner anyways lol. I did recently buy a fancier one for one night though.