Alaska—Vancouver to Seward mid-May?

laudergayle

Last year, mid-May, we took Bliss to Alaska out of Seattle and back.  For us, it was an awful cruise.  We saw Sitka, then missed Juneau, ISP and much of Ketchikan due to contracting Norovirus.  Also, the two excursions we booked were in Juneau and ISP…figures!

The Bliss made it to the entrance of Dawes glacier but could go no further due to an ice field…so no one on board saw the glacier…and the smaller boat excursion was cancelled due to the ice.  Needless to say, this cruise was a bust.

I have finally convinced DH that we didn’t really take an Alaskan cruise and we should try it again.

I like to cruise just off season cause I’m “thrifty” and fewer kids.  There is a cruise on the Jewel mid-May from Vancouver to Seward.  It has decent times in each port:  Vancouver- cruise inner passage - Ketchikan - Juneau - Skagway - Glacier Bay - Hubbard’s Glacier - Seward.

my question is mostly about Glacier Bay and Hubbard’s Glacier.  Is mid-May too early to expect to get close to these glaciers?  Does Hubbard Glacier have an excursion where you can get even closer..,and would that be an option in mid-May?

also, would whale watching in Juneau be good?

Thoughts please…as we really want to hit a home run this time.  Thanks.

• Like 1

No way to know what the weather will be in May of 2024, but I would do this cruise in a heartbeat.

For me, the Inside Passage would be just beautiful-- hopefully lots of snow in the mountains.

If the weather is good Glacier Bay and Hubbard's Glacier would be beautiful.  Hard to know whether the packed ice or the ice flows would prevent you from getting very close.  Personally I would NOT waste the money on a small boat excursion-- too many questions I would want answered before I would book.  I do not trust small boats.  Been to Alaska several times this early in the year on the Jewel-- the glaciers should be pure white with a slight tinge along the waters' edge.

You should be able to see whales migrating North from the ship-- no excursion necessary.

Enjoy the cruise and the Jewel.

• Thanks 1

It's too early to get in to see Hubbard.  Between ice and fog, the chances of seeing it are incredibly small.  Though we heard it (and that was the last week in May).  For off-season AK cruising, try the beginning of September.  You will get in to see Hubbard.  And there are lots of sales on stuff if you are into the shopping part.

We always do whale watching in Juneau with Harv & Marv's.  Smaller boats than the cruise line sponsored excursions for sure.  We are partial to the 6 passenger ones but they also had 12 and 20.  Depends on how many from your ship books with them as to how big of a boat you'd be on.

As far as getting close to Hubbard, that late in the season the ships can get in pretty close.  Exactly how close will be up to the captain.

Edited by GORDONCHICK
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

It's too early to get in to see Hubbard.  For off-season AK cruising, try the beginning of September.  You will get in to see Hubbard.  And there are lots of sales on stuff if you are into the shopping part.

We always do whale watching in Juneau with Harv & Marv's.  Smaller boats than the cruise line sponsored excursions for sure.  We are partial to the 6 passenger ones but they also had 12 and 20.  Depends on how many from your ship books with them as to how big of a boat you'd be on.

Early September…pricing is similar.  May be something we should consider.  But, being from the south…seeing snow is always a treat. Thanks for your insight.

Just now, laudergayle said:

Early September…pricing is similar.  May be something we should consider.  But, being from the south…seeing snow is always a treat. Thanks for your insight.

You'd still see snow in many places - depending on the weather that year.  To me, Hubbard is jaw-dropping - when you can get in to see it.  Glacier Bay is cool, lots of wildlife.  But that early, there will likely be a lot of ice in the water so the ships won't get as close.

In Skagway, I would recommend Chilkoot Tours for the Yukon rail & bus tour.  It's pretty cool!

Ketchikan is a great place to buy inexpensive rain jackets - and you may need them.  There are several places by the pier.  We usually ended up at the Tongass Trading Company.  It's especially great if it's your first stop

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

It is seeing snow on mountains or seeing more of "Alaska" is the difference. Used to be that May was the start of the season... now they run a few voyages in April. We sailed mid-May last year and got to about 5 miles from the Dawes glacier. We are sailing in September this year. 

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is seeing snow on mountains or seeing more of "Alaska" is the difference. Used to be that May was the start of the season... now they run a few voyages in April. We sailed mid-May last year and got to about 5 miles from the Dawes glacier. We are sailing in September this year. 

Honestly I don’t know.  I want to see whales, glaciers, snow and not spend a lot of $$.  So at Dawes…did you actually see the glacier?

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Don't know about mid-May - that's always iffy. But here's the "small ship up close" excursion offered in late August, reverse trip (Seward to Vancouver). Not cheap at $399

image.thumb.png.b61572257d3338c4cf418600a3c4976c.png

Yikes..that’s a pretty penny!! 

You can do a glacier tour out of Seward for a fraction of that cost.  Now, they are smaller and lesser known glaciers, but glaciers nonetheless.  There are also glacier tours in kayaks.  You can also do the hike to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau instead of whale watching.  You get really close on that one.

• Thanks 1

We were on the 22 May Jewel cruise from Seward to Vancouver.  We took the Endicott Arm and Glacier Explorer excursion to Glacier Bay.  I think specifically to Holkham Bay Glacier.  The excursion boat was large and comfortable.  Viewing inside and outside.  The ship did not make it to the glacier. image.thumb.png.9750cb04a1a8cc09d7711452fc9838b1.png

20230525_170129.jpg

20230525_130317.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Socalev said:

We were on the 22 May Jewel cruise from Seward to Vancouver.  We took the Endicott Arm and Glacier Explorer excursion to Glacier Bay.  I think specifically to Holkham Bay Glacier.  The excursion boat was large and comfortable.  Viewing inside and outside.  The ship did not make it to the glacier. image.thumb.png.9750cb04a1a8cc09d7711452fc9838b1.png

20230525_170129.jpg

20230525_130317.jpg

I had this excursion booked for late August this year- but they've cancelled it.  The description says it's not available early May or mid/late August.  Also cancelled on us at the last minute in May 2022. I keep trying...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

It's too early to get in to see Hubbard.  Between ice and fog, the chances of seeing it are incredibly small.  Though we heard it (and that was the last week in May).  For off-season AK cruising, try the beginning of September.  You will get in to see Hubbard.  And there are lots of sales on stuff if you are into the shopping part.

As far as getting close to Hubbard, that late in the season the ships can get in pretty close.  Exactly how close will be up to the captain.

We always cruise to Alaska on NCL at the beginning of May and have seen Hubbard MANY times.

• Thanks 1

We did a mid-May cruise on Holland America from Seward to Vancouver a few years ago  and it was amazing. We did a fabulous glacier tour in Seward on our own and it got up close to some lesser known glaciers. It also included a prime rib buffet. The train ride from/to Anchorage is also a great experience - I recommend splurging for the Gold Dome/first class if your budget allows. 

We had no trouble getting into Glacier Bay though there are never any guarantees. 

It was a much older crowd on the ship. My 12-year-old son and I were repeatedly mistaken as staff on the first day 😆

• Haha 1

With respect to small boat tours of glaciers, the excursion into Tracy Arm is one of my top 3 things to do in Alaska.  Depending on your itinerary, it may or may not be offered. 

The small boat tour of Kenai Fjords (6 or 8 hours) out of Seward, ranks number one on my list.  Beautiful glaciers, plentiful wildlife.  If my cruise starts in Seward, I take the train down from Anchorage in the morning of embarkation, do the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour that leaves at 11:30, then board the ship around 6 p.m.  Seeing Kenai Fjords is better than anything you could do on the ship prior to departure.

This year my cruise ended in Seward, so I took the longer 8 hour Kenai tour that leaves at 8:30 a.m.  It gets you back to Seward in time to take the 6 p.m. train to Anchorage.

• Thanks 1

Just an unproven theory, but it seems that NCL will not go into places like Hubbard due to weather when other cruise ships will.  Same thing with respect to sailing up/down the east side of Vancouver Island.  If my theories are correct, passengers should be aware that what NCL is selling, may not be what the passenger is getting, and other cruise lines might be a better option.

I fully expect to be bashed by the NCL apologists here, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it until I see otherwise.

Edited by quack2
  • Like 1