Regent should now include drinks on board

ethical

if the PG too is open bar (as expected) it will be one of the best bargains on the sea --- for couples and singles alike!

Thanks,

Richard

After the contract I am on, I plan to move to mid-state California from Florida. Once there the PG would be a cruise I would like to take. But after adding the flight to LAX from Florida to then face an 8 hour flight to the islands just does not appeal to me now.

Fearless prediction: Open bar won't increases "free" alcohol consumption much, if at all. Rather, the place where the "free" alcohol is consumed will merely shift from the dining table to the lounges.

LOL with one exception. Outside of the Captain's BBQ, I do not remember seeing any beer bottles in the main dining room.

Blackbird:

Ah, yes, the "East Coast" distance problem has stopped many a cruiser from taking the PG. But it's not that bad, compared to my situation flying out of Okla. Book your air through RSSC, and they will fly you to LA a day early and put you up in the LAX Hilton, and fly you to Tahiti the next day. With all the "plane changing" we have to do to get from Okla to LA, you may even do better! And BTW, there is some air routing from here to LAX that involves substandard carriers and/or a plane change at an airport requiring a two mile hike from plane to plane. Each time we've booked air through RSSC for the PG, we have had our TA request that RSSC AVOID this routing. Each time, RSSC has complied.

Beer served in dining room on RSSC? Yes, sir! I drink primarily beer. The "hard stuff" messes up my stomach, and wine gives me a head ache! They do, however, serve the beer in a glass in the dining room, so we don't have to guzzle out of a can or bottle.:D

Thanks,

Richard

Blackbird:

Beer served in dining room on RSSC? Yes, sir! I drink primarily beer. The "hard stuff" messes up my stomach, and wine gives me a head ache! They do, however, serve the beer in a glass in the dining room, so we don't have to guzzle out of a can or bottle.:D

Thanks,

Richard

I do not understand the RSSC beer math. It just did not sounds right for passing up a bottle of the hard stuff for something like 6 beers...

LOL a like thread is going on over on the Silverseas forum. Here is the current ships stock of beer on SS.

Amstel

Bass

Becks

Budweiser

Carlsberg

Coors

Corona

Guiness

Heineken

Miller

OT, I understand the bad routing issue. While I fly to Tampa once a month out of Roanoke, both of my SS cruises I will be flying out of Charlotte NC. Roanoke has small commuter jets and some plane changes are very long walks. Plus I do not trust my luggage for a cruise going between commuter to big boy airlines. It is only a three hour drive to Charlotte and I will overnight there for a morning flight down to San Juan. Plus the hotel provides free parking so I can leave my car there for the trip.

As for the PG, once I move to Ca, it is a couple hour drive to LAX and that opens a lot of West coast cruises up.

Blackbird:

The "beer math" on RSSC applies only to the in-suite set up, and not to beer consumed in the dining room, "free" cocktail parties, and such. And yes, you are right, a trade of a bottle of Grey Goose for a six pack of beer is NOT a good deal for the guest. So, we just never have so traded. I can drink vodka in SMALL amounts, and do so at times on my balcony. And sometimes, I buy local beers in the ports and carry them on for my suite and balcony, to which RSSC has no objection. So you can see that when RSSC goes all inclusive, it will REALLY be better for me.

But like you, my next booked cruise is on SS as a first timer there. Picked this cruise primarily for itinerary and price, but I have to confess ---- open bar DID enter into the choice.

Thanks,

Richard

This (hic) thread has been so much (hic) fun to read! In considering my 12 (hic) days on RSSC so far, and trying (hic) to remember what went on in the bars pre and post dinner (hic), my alcohol-pickled brain does recall quite a bit of activity. But then, where I go, so goes the (hic) party! I am not ashamed to openly admit that I am (hic) a party animal. I can't help myself...I party all the time, party all the time, party all the tiii..iiime (to shamelessly quote the old Eddie Murphy tune). People took to actually following me around the ship, knowing that wherever I stopped, there the party (hic) would be! Sometimes I’d walk in circles or figure eights, although this got to be a problem when the parade of folks behind me starting bumping into each other. I do admit to doing the Monty Python silly-walk, but only about half of the parade did it too, so I (hic) stopped.

I did figure out my own solution to the post-dinner-no-booze-blues. At dinner I’d sip the wine they poured, make an ugly face and (hic) tell them I wanted another. So they’d fill up a glass with another wine, and I’d make an ugly face and tell them I want a different wine, so they’d fill up ANOTHER glass…and on and on. This why we’d ask for a table for ten, when there were usually only 6 of us. The rest of the table was used for (hic) my wine glasses. In fact, here’s a pic (hic) of this process.

Cruise20053882.jpg

That’s my third arm holding the glass on top of my head. Hey, do ya think I can drink this much (hic) with only two hands? Anyway, I always managed to fill up the bar after dinner by inviting party-minded folks over to help me carry my wine glasses (hic) to the bar.

So…I think the answer (hic) to the party conundrum is…hang around with fun people, and you’ll (hic) have fun! (Or end up an alcoholic.) (hic)

LeeAnne

This (hic) thread has been so much (hic) fun to read! In considering my 12 (hic) days on RSSC so far, and trying (hic) to remember what went on in the bars pre and post dinner (hic), my alcohol-pickled brain does recall quite a bit of activity. But then, where I go, so goes the (hic) party! I am not ashamed to openly admit that I am (hic) a party animal. I can't help myself...I party all the time, party all the time, party all the tiii..iiime (to shamelessly quote the old Eddie Murphy tune). People took to actually following me around the ship, knowing that wherever I stopped, there the party (hic) would be! Sometimes I’d walk in circles or figure eights, although this got to be a problem when the parade of folks behind me starting bumping into each other. I do admit to doing the Monty Python silly-walk, but only about half of the parade did it too, so I (hic) stopped.

I did figure out my own solution to the post-dinner-no-booze-blues. At dinner I’d sip the wine they poured, make an ugly face and (hic) tell them I wanted another. So they’d fill up a glass with another wine, and I’d make an ugly face and tell them I want a different wine, so they’d fill up ANOTHER glass…and on and on. This why we’d ask for a table for ten, when there were usually only 6 of us. The rest of the table was used for (hic) my wine glasses. In fact, here’s a pic (hic) of this process.

Cruise20053882.jpg

That’s my third arm holding the glass on top of my head. Hey, do ya think I can drink this much (hic) with only two hands? Anyway, I always managed to fill up the bar after dinner by inviting party-minded folks over to help me carry my wine glasses (hic) to the bar.

So…I think the answer (hic) to the party conundrum is…hang around with fun people, and you’ll (hic) have fun! (Or end up an alcoholic.) (hic)

LeeAnne

LOL!!! :D

Host Dan

Last September, on the Voyager, there were 4 imported beers in the fridge along with the sodas and bottled water at embarkation. The water and sodas where replaced at least daily by our cabin steward. We never consumed the beer but assumed it was part of the same set up and would be replaced gratis. Having it stocked at embarkation did not effect our two bottles and so we thought beer was complimentary on par with the other fridge occupants. Was our assumption wrong? Do you get four freebies and then pay for replacements? Was our initial set up an anomoly?:confused: (Although we didn't drink it, I'm very protective of my beer and don't want to loose it. I might enjoy it the next time:D)

David

Last September, on the Voyager, there were 4 imported beers in the fridge along with the sodas and bottled water at embarkation. The water and sodas where replaced at least daily by our cabin steward. We never consumed the beer but assumed it was part of the same set up and would be replaced gratis. Having it stocked at embarkation did not effect our two bottles and so we thought beer was complimentary on par with the other fridge occupants. Was our assumption wrong? Do you get four freebies and then pay for replacements? Was our initial set up an anomoly?:confused: (Although we didn't drink it, I'm very protective of my beer and don't want to loose it. I might enjoy it the next time:D)

David

LOL they are saving them for you :D:D The way I understand is the four in the refrig are yours in addition to the bottles. But if you want more they are a charge item. But if you want to exchange the bottles for beer it is 6 to one. That isn't good beer math. IMHO.

LOL they are saving them for you :D:D The way I understand is the four in the refrig are yours in addition to the bottles. But if you want more they are a charge item. But if you want to exchange the bottles for beer it is 6 to one. That isn't good beer math. IMHO.
I don't think they are applying the principles of algebra to their insuite bar offerings. There is a wide range of booze options available to choose from, varying widely in price. It may not seem fair to only offer a six-pack in exchange for a bottle of vodka, but then I can see why they wouldn't really want to be delivering cases of Bud to the cabins either. If you want more, bring it on board -- they don't confiscate at the door like the mass-market lines. And besides, we have less than a year to wait before it becomes all-booze-all-the-time anyway! :D

LeeAnne

Yes, the way RSSC does it right now, the beer in the fridge when you embark is "free", but it will not be relpaced for free after you have consumed it. In fact, it won't be replaced at all unless you ask for it. And then, the price is way too high, compared to that for ordering an additional bottle of the hard stuff. You can buy an additional bottle of, say Grey Goose from room service for less than the stores charge for it around here. But the beer is $3.50 per can/bottle! More bad beer math! But the "bad beer math" will be gone in '07.

Thanks,

Richard

I wonder how liquor will work when the tier level goes into effect next month?? I'm guessing that a Platinum will still sign but then it is subtracted from your final shipboard bill??

This is just IMHO but from what I saw on the Mariner where every server had a glass that they put their signed chits into, I assume because of that they get a commission on drink sales. Also I assume once the open bar goes into effect all the servers will have a salary increase to cover what they use to make in commissions..

OK FWIW - Blackbird's Booze Math :p

A while back a poster stated that RSSC made $4,000,000 per year off of drinks sales. And for this set of numbers I am assuming that RSSC on the average run their ships 70% full year round.

320.......PG Paxs

700.......Voyager Paxs

700.......Mariner Paxs

490.......Nav. Paxs

2,210....Total Pax per day

1,547....70% Average pax

564,655 Total Pax days per yr

$7.08....Cost per day to recover lost profits.

If you double the cost to cover profit/cost of materials/additional cost of labor you get a per day rate of $14.16. So IMHO RSSC would have to only increase the daily per diem rate by ~$15 to break even over their current method of sales.

Maybe somebody knows the latest increase fares and what that works out on a per day bases, but IMHO they have already more than made up for the new "open bar" in 2007.

Blackbird:

Your math is good and it is the same as was contained in an email to me from Mark Conroy, RSSC CEO, in the fall of '03. Open bar would result in a cost of $15 per day per guest, he said. Since then, RSSC has had so many fare increases on all their ships (strangely, except the PG) that it is impossible to translate and equate this figure to any fare that exists now, or will exist for '07. Too many other factors exist, such as increased fuel costs (I hate to even fill up my Honda!), labor costs, and so on. And, IMO, RSSC has learned a bit about pricing from Exxon-Mobil and the like. In other words, there just may be a bit of a "rip-off" factor involved in the fare increases since '03! (And, we all have yet to learn of the PG fares for '07.)

And, as RSSC tends to announce its "specials" early in the season and competing lines tend to do so as sailing date approaches, general comparisson becomes impossible. (I think it is intended to be this way.)

Let me put it this way. A couple of years ago, I knew where to look for the best fare on a lux cruise (double occupancy) and that was on RSSC. Today, "it ain't necessarily so!"

As I'm a guy with a degree in marketing, I just see this. Now Silversea comes on strong with "specials", and indeed I know that your next cruise (and mine) are on SS. And SB has some GREAT deals out there too. So RSSC will HAVE TO respond with better deals. IMHO, RSSC cannot hold their '07 pricing without strong discounting in the future, and still fill the ships.

Thanks,

Richard

I had said the same thing back when RSSC announced its 2007 pricing. There was some furor that my observations might not have been accurate, but now it seems that analysis is proving the case. The identified competition's ships are sailing full, so their marketing strategies and pricing seem to be hitting the mark. Until RSSC let's it be seen that it is providing a superior product and service and more exotic itineraries, I am not sure how it can support some of the highest prices in the industry.

Yes, I think that "furor" was over the fact that some of us (mistakenly) said all of this fare increase had "hit us all at once" on '07, when if fact fares have been steadily climbing on RSSC for the past several years. And while there remain cases where RSSC is priced lower than SS and SB on comparable cruises, the old price relationship (wherein RSSC was always much lower) appears to be gone for now.

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks Len! We'll have to work hard to fill up those dead bars, won't we? Perhaps I should ask for a table for 12 this time. Meanwhile, I've gotta go walk the boulevard to earn enough money to pay these exhorbitant fares. Time to go strap on my spike heels! ;)

LeeAnne

Hello again,

Another friendly reminder to stay on the topic of "open bar". It is only fair to the OP. If some of you want to start a new topic on another thread, please feel free to do so.

Cheers!

Host Dan

On the topic of open bar, I think the OP was also questioning why RSSC is wating till '07 to adopt this policy, instead of going right to it now -- along with the name change. Just my $.02, but it would have made more sense if ALL changes planned for the near future could have been made to happen at the same time -- right along with the name change.

Also, I don't think I'm going to mention fares among the three open bar lines anymore. Too much week to week change in these to really allow for an intelligent comment. For example, some of the really good SS specials on which I relied in finding SS to sometimes be the best deal are now GONE! RSSC has added some specials. Just TOO confusing.

Thanks,

Richard

On the topic of open bar, I think the OP was also questioning why RSSC is wating till '07 to adopt this policy, instead of going right to it now -- along with the name change. Just my $.02, but it would have made more sense if ALL changes planned for the near future could have been made to happen at the same time -- right along with the name change.

Also, I don't think I'm going to mention fares among the three open bar lines anymore. Too much week to week change in these to really allow for an intelligent comment. For example, some of the really good SS specials on which I relied in finding SS to sometimes be the best deal are now GONE! RSSC has added some specials. Just TOO confusing.

Thanks,

Richard

I think RSSC probably doesn't want there to be a mid-stream change in policy, so it picked 2007 for the change. I don't agree with it, but in an industry which counts its pennies, it may be related to losing, in its mind, $100 per person per cruise for the rest of 2006 based upon its older pricing.

As for overall pricing, I think it safe to say that RSSC is no longer the "value leader" and that it has elevated its pricing to the range of SS and SB. We all know that "brochure rate" is a meaningless term and, it would seem, that some further aggressive pricing is going to be forthcoming from many lines. Carnival just announced poorer than anticipated performance and RSSC is now pushing some excellent Baltic deals for July (i.e. last minute deals - very un-RSSC like over the past couple of years).

The cruise business is ever changing and I think 2006-2007 will see some signficant course corrections if the news of the past couple of weeks continues in the same vein.

Archived