Cabins not ready until 4:30- is this a thing now?!

JinxyB

1 minute ago, chillyw said:

That report is old, I'm sure they've corrected all of those things by now. In fact, I'd argue that a ship with some issues to correct is MORE likely to be doing things right. For confirmation, I'd check out the CC page for MSC and see what recent passengers are saying.

• Haha 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

That report is old, I'm sure they've corrected all of those things by now. In fact, I'd argue that a ship with some issues to correct is MORE likely to be doing things right. For confirmation, I'd check out the CC page for MSC and see what recent passengers are saying.

I was half joking but April 27th isn't that old for the 4th worst score of the past 20 years of any inspection. Especially since there's no corrective action report by MSC yet:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionCorrectiveActionAcknowledgement.aspx?ColI=MjEyNjA0NTY%3d-a9ov%2by%2b%2f%2bqU%3d

1 hour ago, WMQueenie said:

When we went on our first cruise in 2005, I was amazed at the cabins being serviced 2 times a day.  The turn down at night with a chocolate on my pillow, the towel animal (yes, I love them!) and the room lighting was perfect...ice bucket filled up twice a day.  These things made us fall in love with cruising, being pampered like no hotel on land ever did.  We always got into our cabin by 1:30-2:00 which was welcomed because of the long travel day to get there, I just wanted to flop on the bed and take in a deep breath saying, ahhhhh...we're finally onboard!  Slowly these things have been dwindling and although it won't stop us from cruising, it is disappointing. 

I agree that the changes are disappointing. I get tired of other people trying to compare cruising to a land vacation. The extras on a cruise were one of the things that made cruising my favorite vacation over a hotel based trip. I like to be able to get into my cabin as soon as possible. It is nice to be able to use your own bathroom, instead of a public one, and get your carry on unpacked. This helps make the rest of that first day more relaxing. As far as being more understanding about hard working crew, no one is upset at the crew. People are upset that NCL management has decided that less staff and less service is a good thing. It just isn't. It bothers me that we have to ask for ice and a coffee maker. It makes me feel like I am being high maintenance. If others do not want it they can let the steward know. 

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I like to be able to get into my cabin as soon as possible. It is nice to be able to use your own bathroom, instead of a public one, and get your carry on unpacked. 

How about not lugging a carry on into the public bathroom?!

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

MSC is not a good example of anything right now.  Failed CDC inspection (Seaside) and now a brand new cruise that will not be able to sail on time because Fire Supression Panels that have FAILED INSPECTION. 

There is not enough money in the world to get me to sail on an MSC ship-- very poor maintence (especially their mooring ropes).  It has been that way for several years.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I always see people camped out by the closed doors or stairs and I'm always dumbfounded.

Cruise fun starts the minute we board and doesn't stop until we disembark!

Some people just want to be miserable.  No, I don't understand it either...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Was it published that those injured/deceased were port workers?  They were people in a pleasure craft that struck a ferry, causing the pleasure craft to sink and one on board to perish.  Other than involving a ferry and being in the channel, there really was no association to the cruise line or port workers from what I understand.  I don't see how the employees on the ship would be effected as you wrote...

Crew members were affected because no one knew how long the ships would have to wait before sailing and for those at sea, how long before they could dock.  I am sure that there were crew members scheduled to begin thier vacations having to re-schedule flights, hotels, etc like all the passengers.  What a nightmare caused by two very stupid young men at 3 A.M. on a Sunday morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

I 100% guarantee NCL will soon offer a priority embarkation day cabin prep option at a premium fee...for your convenience of course. 

They sort of do this already.  Haven and Suites are finished earlier...

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do you always travel solo?

No, just with easily distractable men who won't necessarily remember to keep up with their own luggage muchless my own!  And it's hilarious because my husband is usually very focuses - until we board a ship.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chillyw said:

I was half joking but April 27th isn't that old for the 4th worst score of the past 20 years of any inspection. Especially since there's no corrective action report by MSC yet:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionCorrectiveActionAcknowledgement.aspx?ColI=MjEyNjA0NTY%3d-a9ov%2by%2b%2f%2bqU%3d

I read that report when it was first released because someone linked it here. If you read it, you'll see that several items were being corrected as the report was being written. Considering the number of cruises they've done since April 27 and the number of passengers each cruise, I think whatever issues they experienced nearly 3 months ago have long since been addressed. Check out the link I provided where the reviewer says exactly what I did, the bad score they received got things corrected right away.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

MSC is not a good example of anything right now.  Failed CDC inspection (Seaside) and now a brand new cruise that will not be able to sail on time because Fire Supression Panels that have FAILED INSPECTION. 

There is not enough money in the world to get me to sail on an MSC ship-- very poor maintence (especially their mooring ropes).  It has been that way for several years.

Rubbish. We've sailed 3 times on MSC and have never had a single issue. Stop making things up.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

No, just with easily distractable men who won't necessarily remember to keep up with their own luggage muchless my own!  And it's hilarious because my husband is usually very focuses - until we board a ship.

So your husband and these other distractable men bolt from wherever you're at just as soon as you excuse yourself to use the ladies room?  I'm not sure the problem lies with NCL here.

disclaimer: I'm just kidding.  Nobody who is traveling with partners needs to "lug a carryon into the public bathroom."  Take it with you to the buffet/bar?  Sure.  Nobody cares.  Even if you forget it in the bar after a successful start to the cruise, it will still be there or at lost and found.  I just put my backpack in a spot that I'll trip over it when I descend the bar stool.  Works every time! 😎

Second disclaimer: that's never really happened. 🤣

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Rubbish. We've sailed 3 times on MSC and have never had a single issue. Stop making things up.

Everything I just posted as been reported by Jim Walker out of Miami, CDC Ship Inspection reports, Miami Hearld and Cruise Industry News ( reliable cruise news source).

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So your husband and these other distractable men bolt from wherever you're at just as soon as you excuse yourself to use the ladies room?  I'm not sure the problem lies with NCL here.

disclaimer: I'm just kidding.  Nobody who is traveling with partners needs to "lug a carryon into the public bathroom."  Take it with you to the buffet/bar?  Sure.  Nobody cares.  Even if you forget it in the bar after a successful start to the cruise, it will still be there or at lost and found.  I just put my backpack in a spot that I'll trip over it when I descend the bar stool.  Works every time! 😎

Second disclaimer: that's never really happened. 🤣

It's more of a case of seeing something shiny and taking off to explore without waiting for me.  And there all our carry ons sat when I came out of the restroom.  It's happened more than once.  And it's just DH and DS (who is now an adult, but wasn't always in those times).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

Everything I just posted as been reported by Jim Walker out of Miami, CDC Ship Inspection reports, Miami Hearld and Cruise Industry News ( reliable cruise news source).

Yes and as I linked above, a reviewer who was on the Seaside after that CDC inspection shows things were fine. OTOH, you apparently don't like MSC and don't plan on sailing with them. My wife and I love MSC and we will be happy to take your place. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

They could use the embarkation times to prioritize the order the do the cabins.

They just go down the line of cabins and clean them as they come.  Your process would actually slow things down for multiple reasons.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JinxyB said:

Embarked the Joy today in NYC and cabins were not ready until 4:30 - they made repeated announcements about this. I find this concerning. Yes, I know the stewards are stretched thin, but 4:30?? This just seems really late to me- worse than a hotel check in. If this a new industry standard, then it would be nice to know. BTW, my cabin was pretty grubby- smears of stuff on doors and gray hairs in bathroom and balcony (my hair is dark brown). 

While I'd much prefer cabins to be ready soon after we board the ship, theya re ready when they are ready and I'll enjoy myself having a good time whereever I hang out and whoever I am hanging out with.  I'd rather they take their tmie and do the job right than rush through it and do a half ass job.

• Like 3