Cabins not ready until 4:30- is this a thing now?!

JinxyB

5 hours ago, omahabob said:

You've fallen for a myth as well. It's true that there is no shortage of people. The problem is there's a shortage of people willing to work. I've seen numerous employers across different industries raise offered wages repeatedly, but they still can't find people. Our society has evolved to the point that it's a simple matter to get along without having a job, so people just don't. But that's not a topic for this forum.

by which, i assume you mean it’s a topic that only you are permitted to discuss in this forum? you just stated your thoughts quite clearly.

respectfully, if you use the google machine, i think you will find that there is an abundance of articles explaining why the great labor shortage is a myth. there is no labor shortage; there is a surplus of greedy employers. NCL is apparently one of them. that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t cruise NCL, it doesn’t mean they are evil overlords… it just means they decided to cut costs by cutting staff and reducing cleaning services for most cabins.

5 hours ago, omahabob said:

As I said before, feel free to correct me about what NCL has done. I am by no means infallible. But I haven't yet seen anything to back up your claims.

i haven’t made any claims.

kindly direct your attention to paragraphs seven and eight in this article from travel weekly. they quote del rio, who explains that NCLH will leave “no stone unturned” in its quest to reduce costs. the article then cites doing away with twice-daily cleaning as one such measure, along with the elimination of 9% of its onshore workforce.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/NCLH-reducing-marketing-spend#

this article from cruise radio refers to the elimination of the second daily housekeeping service as “obviously a cost cutting measure,” but then goes on to quote NCL boasting of the positive impact to the environment and its conservation of water, energy and its commitment to sustainability and the use of fewer chemicals… except, apparently, in suites and the haven.

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-to-reduce-cleaning-service-most-cabins/

also explained in these articles is the consolidation and elimination of stateroom attendant  roles, which NCL has never asserted had anything at all to do with inability to find staff.

now, was there something else…

did you want me to pick up your dry cleaning on my way home?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

That sounds like an intriguing idea.  I wonder if there actually is a way for them to do something like that....

Somehow, I suspect NCL doesn't have a group of people sitting around doing nothing, that thy could call in for this task. If they do, great, but I doubt it.

On 7/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, LMaxwell said:

Guests allow company to get away with it by being "understanding"

But stop giving cruise lines free passes to continue reducing service levels and standards. 3:30-4:30 for rooms to be available is pretty late, in my opinion. 

If you keep allowing this, 4PM will become standard and you can pay an additional fee for 1 or 2pm. Watch and see...

Agree w/above.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:52 PM, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

But when I check into my room that first day it has to be clean. I'm not living in someone else's filth. NCL needs to have enough staffing to get the rooms clean. Everything else is gravy, but that is a must have. And yes, I'll wait until 9pm for a sparkling room. 😁 Prefer not to, but clean is more important than early. 

Yes, this.  I don't care if I have to wait longer, but whether on time or late, it has to be clean but especially late!

On 7/10/2023 at 1:24 AM, insidecabin said:

It is really important to check your cabin carefully before moving in.

How clean is the bathroom

Has all the storage options been cleared check everything.

Get onto cabin steward/housekeeping to get anything rectified before they knock off for the day, the later they say they are ready the less time you will have.

To many cases of sloppy turnarounds, bathrooms not cleaned to adiquate standard.

Leftover detritus from previous passengers not removed.

Two cruises in a month, different ships(Star/Dawn), both cabins needed rectified.

Another issue will be during the cruise many cabins won't get serviced till late afternoon and you can expect things to get missed.(might be minor but should not be happening)

Make sure you have a stock of spare towels, we always double up first day as most cruises we can have a no service day.

With the move to one service and no housekeeping around after around 6pm you can't just grab a towel from a steward in the evening.

This is change to single long day service is not working for a lot of people.

They need to put some people on cabin check duty

I recall in the past on some ships they had support workers on turnaround striping down cabins and cleaning duties.

Marella a UK operation have teams of three doing cabins, they can turn a cabin round very quickly and have more eyes on the job which helps avoid missing tasks.

Agree.  So hopefully my question won't get lost... if there is hair or other "debris" of other guests, or if it looks like something isn't vacuumed (again, hair or debris), do I call Guest Services/Housekeeping?  Cuz they are no longer outside waiting to greet us anymore. I usually let it go because it's "only" whatever, and I hate pointing stuff out like, "there's 2 hairs over there" or "can you vacuum that tiny piece of paper?" but that icky stuff really bugs me.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

Agree w/above.

Yes, this.  I don't care if I have to wait longer, but whether on time or late, it has to be clean but especially late!

Agree.  So hopefully my question won't get lost... if there is hair or other "debris" of other guests, or if it looks like something isn't  vacuumed (again, hair or debris), do I call Guest Services/Housekeeping?  Cuz they are no longer outside waiting to greet us anymore. I usually let it go because it's "only" whatever, and I hate pointing stuff out like, "there's 2 hairs over there" or "can you vacuum that tiny piece of paper?" but that icky stuff really bugs me.  

We have had the steward still hanging around on our two this year to get rectification needs notified fixed immediately.

This has been around 3pm later may have less success.

Special requests can take a couple of days to get completed.

Robes extra towels and coffee machine were quick, bar soap took 2 days but that is one is getting difficult as "not available" but then turn up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

"The Choir of Man" guys probably aren't busy on embarkation day.

Those working cruisenext have a few hours before they start peddling again.

As we don't rush we were one of the latest out of cabins today at 8am.

Checking up and down the corridor they were working on all the cabins at the same time but had only got as far as wedging the doors open, bins still full no linen striped dirty crocks etc 

Since the first disembark were 5:30am I was expecting at least some to be further ahead by 8am.

• Like 1