Cabins not ready until 4:30- is this a thing now?!

JinxyB

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

This makes no sense to me.

Why camp out on the stairs?

There's an entire ship with beautiful areas inside and outside to relax and do pretty much anything you can do for the whole trip.

Drink, eat, explore, swim, hang out on the Waterfront. So much to do and see.

I always see people camped out by the closed doors or stairs and I'm always dumbfounded.

Cruise fun starts the minute we board and doesn't stop until we disembark!

Well, theoretically I agree but... I boarded fairly early. Once on the ship I got in line to make/change reservations. Then I went and had lunch. After that I explored the ship a bit. However, by around 3pm I was just done. I was lugging around my backpack (and yes, I do travel alone) which I didn't/couldn't really abandon as it had stuff I wouldn't want to lose.

I sat in the Atrium for a while but it was extremely crowded and noisy. After some time, I had a headache and all I wanted to do was freshen up a bit and lie down for a short time. That is when I went to camp out on the steps. I probably wasn't there longer than 20 minutes at the most.

So you are right, theoretically you could do almost anything you want while waiting for the cabin. Unfortunately, all I wanted was to lie down and have some quiet.

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It wouldn't matter.  It's binary.  Either all cabins are ready or no cabins are ready.

Nope? Cabins were ready at different times on different decks. Unfortunately, deck 5 was not a priority...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

Many cruises they can't delay the start of embarkation as they need to get everyone on the ship to meet the sailaway deadlines.

Current cruise that was 4pm, the previous one 5pm

Changes to those times has a knock-on effect

Outside the US they often start embarkation before the ship has been 0 counted as there are no restrictions most places.

We gave our steward the day off today. problem was this is the day they load the cabin with the next cruise linen to reduce the workload on changeover, had to visit anyway.

I'm not sure why you're defending a hypothetical but for my sailing on Joy to Bermuda, they could easily take off a little later and nothing would change. I'm sure that would be more difficult on some other itineraries, but not many. 

With that being said, it's not what I or most people would want. 

30 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I read that report when it was first released because someone linked it here. If you read it, you'll see that several items were being corrected as the report was being written. Considering the number of cruises they've done since April 27 and the number of passengers each cruise, I think whatever issues they experienced nearly 3 months ago have long since been addressed. Check out the link I provided where the reviewer says exactly what I did, the bad score they received got things corrected right away.

I said I was half joking because it wouldn't stop me from trying them out again, especially YC. It's been a while since I've been on the Poesia or Divina. I've been to plenty of places that have failed health inspections (or should have lol).

But I don't think a passenger will be able to really know if they've fixed issues of things in non-public areas until a corrective action report is issued or another inspection is done. No passenger is going back into food storage rooms with thermometers to check.

• Like 2

I have been reading these posts today and its almost getting out of hand. at the end of the day if you don't like something or how something is done, you as the consumer have absolutely the right to not purchase or go. I hear people mentioning back in 2005 rooms were ready by 1:00pm or close to that. Well those ships in 2005 where not the size of the ones today. 

Do i like waiting untill say 3:30 to go to my cabin? Nope! But will I allow this minor thing to cause me to say I will not cruise anymore? Nope! 

Also, the carryon issue, We use a backpack to simply carry on Medicine, BAthing suites and documents. 

• Like 5

Just now, chillyw said:

I said I was half joking because it wouldn't stop me from trying them out again, especially YC. It's been a while since I've been on the Poesia or Divina. I've been to plenty of places that have failed health inspections (or should have lol).

But I don't think a passenger will be able to really know if they've fixed issues of things in non-public areas until a corrective action report is issued or another inspection is done. No passenger is going back into food storage rooms with thermometers to check.

That is true, my point being that if the code violations were both serious and uncorrected, you can be sure a lot of people would have gotten sick and we'd have heard about it here on Cruise Critic. But as I noted in an earlier thread, that CDC report had a lot of duplication, meaning that the same issue was noted multiple times, sort of like a third grade teacher dinging you 10 times for misspelling the same word-it doesn't represent a unique error. Some issues were (in my opinion) very nitpicky. That doesn't mean nothing was wrong, but it does mean not every misstep is a crisis. If water spills on the floor and isn't immediately mopped up, it could represent a slip hazard. But I have eyes and it's on me to avoid slipping!

12 minutes ago, Sixtytwo said:

And the response is "no one if forcing us to cruise on these ships. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly-which is why I’ll most likely be taking my cruise dollars elsewhere 

Edited by JinxyB
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sixtytwo said:

And the response is "no one if forcing us to cruise on these ships. 🤷‍♂️

Of course not! But I don't see noting deficiencies (or what someone might perceive as a deficiency) as "just complaining". If I want to just complain I will do so to my family...

I have two reasons when writing critical comments/"complaining":

a) I think it is important to be well informed to make any decision, including where to vacation/what to spend your money on.

So if someone reads a thread and thinks "Oh, well, I don't care if my cabin won't be ready until dinnertime. I like to hang out at the pool/bar anyway" then that is great. Someone else may hate the idea enough to choose a different cruise line (rather unlikely I think). And a third person may decide to board a bit later or have more or less carry-on luggage knowing that it may take a long time to get into the room. 

b) I enjoy cruising and want the cruise lines to be successful. 

Obviously, they want to/have to save money and that may include cut-backs. But how would they know if noone complains - either on the ship, in surveys or letters after or on the internet.

Let's say a cruise line makes changes a, b, and c and after a while bookings go down. How are they to know what is driving people away?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

MSC is not a good example of anything right now.  Failed CDC inspection (Seaside) and now a brand new cruise that will not be able to sail on time because Fire Supression Panels that have FAILED INSPECTION. 

There is not enough money in the world to get me to sail on an MSC ship-- very poor maintence (especially their mooring ropes).  It has been that way for several years.

Let's wait for the disclosure of the other estimated 45ship across multiple lines that have the panels installed according to the supplier.

• Like 1

Found a lovely toenail clipping in my room which proves that the room was not cleaned thoroughly. The internet sucks on the ship and won’t let me upload said picture of toenails, but I can assure you it’s there. I complained to guest services and will probably be removing my gratuities in the first of 60+ cruises unless these problems are rectified 

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JinxyB said:

Found a lovely toenail clipping in my room which proves that the room was not cleaned thoroughly. The internet sucks on the ship and won’t let me upload said picture of toenails, but I can assure you it’s there. I complained to guest services and will probably be removing my gratuities in the first of 60+ cruises unless these problems are rectified 

A toenail, the horror. Definitely warrants withholding tips from every staff member on board. Wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, GORDONCHICK said:

It's more of a case of seeing something shiny and taking off to explore without waiting for me.  And there all our carry ons sat when I came out of the restroom.  It's happened more than once.  And it's just DH and DS (who is now an adult, but wasn't always in those times).

That's funny.  At least the bags were still there.  I'm guessing that one would need to spend a LONG time in the restroom before anybody would jack their bags.  Did you give them a good talkin' to?

49 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm not sure why you're defending a hypothetical but for my sailing on Joy to Bermuda, they could easily take off a little later and nothing would change. I'm sure that would be more difficult on some other itineraries, but not many. 

With that being said, it's not what I or most people would want. 

The issue with changes(even theoretical ones) is many have knock on effects and unintended consequences.

Some cruise lines resolve the embarkation overload by doing it over 

2 days some with an overnight and some using 2 ports.

2 of them are fly cruise packaged so it reduces the issues at the airports.

1 uses 3 dreamliners to fill 1/2 the ship over 2 days.

In Europe multiple embarkation is more common and NCL use it on some itinerary.

56 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Cabins ready by 4:30

Breakfast buffet over by 9:30

The things I learned on CC today 

Both of which are not necessarily correct. As usual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

But how would they know if noone complains - either on the ship, in surveys or letters after or on the internet.

True, but in my experience, here is how each of those ways of conveying a complaint is likely to be responded to, in descending order of likelihood:

1. On the ship in person

2. In an onboard survey

3. In a post-cruise survey

4. In a letter

5. On the internet

I don't know whether you typically use any or all of these, and what your experience has been, but I'd say complaining on Cruise Critic is the least likely to result in a change you want to see. It's probably the easiest and least confrontational, but also the least effective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'd say complaining on Cruise Critic is the least likely to result in a change you want to see. It's probably the easiest and least confrontational, but also the least effective.

You may be right, but CC is the number one cruise forum and viewed by hundreds of thousands of avid cruisers.  If NCL is smart (I'm not saying that they are) they would be keenly interested in what is being posted on CC.

To this day I believe that the CC posts are the main driver in NCL doing a rapid reverse course on those stupid in-person Musters.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

The issue with changes(even theoretical ones) is many have knock on effects and unintended consequences.

Some cruise lines resolve the embarkation overload by doing it over 

2 days some with an overnight and some using 2 ports.

2 of them are fly cruise packaged so it reduces the issues at the airports.

1 uses 3 dreamliners to fill 1/2 the ship over 2 days.

In Europe multiple embarkation is more common and NCL use it on some itinerary.

I'm not sure what all this means or how it's relevant.

Who said anything about embarkation overload?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

4 hours ago, WMQueenie said:

When we went on our first cruise in 2005, I was amazed at the cabins being serviced 2 times a day.  The turn down at night with a chocolate on my pillow, the towel animal (yes, I love them!) and the room lighting was perfect...ice bucket filled up twice a day.  These things made us fall in love with cruising, being pampered like no hotel on land ever did.  We always got into our cabin by 1:30-2:00 which was welcomed because of the long travel day to get there, I just wanted to flop on the bed and take in a deep breath saying, ahhhhh...we're finally onboard!  Slowly these things have been dwindling and although it won't stop us from cruising, it is disappointing. 

+1

Yup same for us, cruising was more "special" back then, but compared to my parents tales of cruising it was less. Now move the clock forward another 15-20 years and the experience isn't so special anymore to us, however I will say our last cruise cost about as much as our 1st cruise so clearly something has had to change. Less pampering and more up-charges seems to be the business model with the major lines now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Of course not! But I don't see noting deficiencies (or what someone might perceive as a deficiency) as "just complaining". If I want to just complain I will do so to my family...

I have two reasons when writing critical comments/"complaining":

a) I think it is important to be well informed to make any decision, including where to vacation/what to spend your money on.

So if someone reads a thread and thinks "Oh, well, I don't care if my cabin won't be ready until dinnertime. I like to hang out at the pool/bar anyway" then that is great. Someone else may hate the idea enough to choose a different cruise line (rather unlikely I think). And a third person may decide to board a bit later or have more or less carry-on luggage knowing that it may take a long time to get into the room. 

b) I enjoy cruising and want the cruise lines to be successful. 

Obviously, they want to/have to save money and that may include cut-backs. But how would they know if noone complains - either on the ship, in surveys or letters after or on the internet.

Let's say a cruise line makes changes a, b, and c and after a while bookings go down. How are they to know what is driving people away?

You make some good points Twolittleboys, I guess I just don't see the need to go on Cruise Critic or any other site and rant about something. We all find deficiencies on cruise ships from time to time, normally nothing that was life threatening or so gross it requires us to want to take their issue to a public forum to air our grievance. Life and cruises are what we make them. For me, I prefer to take the high road. 😉

42 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

A toenail, the horror. Definitely warrants withholding tips from every staff member on board. Wow.

But was a bottle of water left in the mini fridge?

I will withhold judgment until I know further.

• Haha 2