Small boat excursion to Dawes glacier?

latebuyer

I’ve been to glacier bay (first cruise) and hubbard glacier and tracy arm (second cruise), now i’d like to go to dawes glacier. I understand its not supposed to be as impressive so i thought if there is a small boat excursion that may be good. Has anyone been? What did you think of dawes glacier? Is it like Tracy Arm with an impressive entry?

Tracy Arm is more scenic. It has more twists and turns. It is often missed due to ice.

Dawes Glacier/Endicott Arm is much more accessible than Tracy Arm and is missed less often than Tracy Arm. I have done Dawes glacier on a cruise ship and also via small boat ride. The small boat ride I did was independent of the ship so I can't compare what the small boat through the cruise ship does. I found it less scenic but at least one has a better chance of seeing it.

Thanks i could always skip dawes and go back to glacier bay in the spring since last time i went in the fall. It would be nice to go on a cruise with icy strait as well. We’ll see what others say. I believe sometimes the dawes glacier cruises are cheaper but i’m not sure.

8 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks i could always skip dawes and go back to glacier bay in the spring since last time i went in the fall. It would be nice to go on a cruise with icy strait as well. We’ll see what others say. I believe sometimes the dawes glacier cruises are cheaper but i’m not sure.

If you have been to Glacier Bay, go to Dawes Glacier. You are right, they are often cheaper and then spend the money on the small boat excursion. You don't get a small boat experience in Glacier Bay. Just don't book too early in the season. I went to Hubbard Glacier this summer and was there mid-May and they were not running the small boats at that time. 

The small boat I did was not through the cruise line (and was out of Juneau) but I did enjoy that day. BTW - these were taken on May 22nd though a 3rd party excursion. I don't have any experience with the cruise line's small boat excursion.

Here are some pics of my small boat excursion:

image.thumb.jpeg.c9a0c06c0716ff1d2bf69dc4a4dfb271.jpeg100_0892.thumb.JPG.0e0cd7f54a8b824158b41663e073d9d8.JPG100_0889.thumb.JPG.f6145797c9c68c24fd2afa70abbf0031.JPG100_0957.thumb.JPG.0ee56cb6e33f0859196c1ac559242595.JPG

100_0942.thumb.JPG.879028f8c63f2ef1ead0b232952b522a.JPG100_0878.thumb.JPG.bf4f5b53bad88a32de3d072dae4af8b5.JPG100_0871.thumb.JPG.b7a16e0a499e84e63b8b850256487872.JPG

100_0926.thumb.JPG.7181968b4fa50a267377280f3d3018d1.JPG100_0907.thumb.JPG.b1038b5c580ec43e92aee109463bebe7.JPG100_0928.thumb.JPG.e36382bc77c616815994e1fc692a1a0e.JPG

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. Great pictures! Definitely looks worthwhile and good to know to not go too early. So is sring out altogether or looks like late may is ok.

The company that runs the small boats with the cruise line didn't start the small boats to Hubbard until the week after I was there.

16 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I’ve been to glacier bay (first cruise) and hubbard glacier and tracy arm (second cruise), now i’d like to go to dawes glacier. I understand its not supposed to be as impressive so i thought if there is a small boat excursion that may be good. Has anyone been? What did you think of dawes glacier? Is it like Tracy Arm with an impressive entry?

I"ve only done Tracy Arm (twice) so can't compare to Dawes.  People seem to think TA is more scenic.  I done both the cruise excursion on Holland (where they drop you at the entrance to TA on the way up to Juneau) and the round trip out of Juneau that isn't affiliated with cruise line.  Benefits to both.  The private excursion from Juneau felt less crowded and therefore better for photography.  Boat design was more conducive to photography too.    The downside is the time spent getting to and from TA from Juneau.  It makes for a very long day.

The cruise excursion that drops you at the entrance to TA is commonly packed and you will be jostling fellow passengers for photographs.  I also don't care for the Allen Marine boats with the upper, upper deck that they only open when the boat is moving slowly or is stopped.  It makes for a mad scramble everything they pull back the chain and open it up.  The upside to this excursion is that you return from TA to Juneau to connect with the cruise ship, shortening the total time of the trip, for the same scenic experience.

We have done this excursion off of a cruise ship.  The vendor was Allen Marine. We were picked up (essentially a tender operation) from the cruise ship about 7 AM.  The two level Allen Marine vessel was able to approach very close to Dawes Glacier. We had an excellent naturalist on board who knew when to talk, and also when to be quiet and let folks take in the scenery and experience.  There was quite a bit of space and folks were able to easily move around the small vessel.  Didn't feel crowded at all. 

We took a different route back to Juneau than the cruise ship as we diverted into Fords' Terror (google it).  We rejoined the cruise ship about 1 PM as it was completing their docking procedures in Juneau.