4th of July Independence Chaos

17 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

The problem seems to be that people are pulling kids out of school more than they used to so there is always a crowd.

Well.. not same number of kids.

For example we sail every Thanksgiving on Anthem and it is 1300+ kids... yet in January for Southern Caribbean cruise on Anthem there are usually < 200 pax under 18. 

Btw parents are not necessarily pulling kids out of schools. There are many various schools with different schedules which do not match standard public school schedule (which also vary by state).

7 days cruises and shorter during holidays always attract many kids. Unless it is some sort of exotic itinerary.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I am not sure why you consider this a blip. Security wanted to know if a parent was traveling with an under 18 year old (but over 16) traveling on a US passport. Parent was present, so no need to ask you for more documentation. I suspect the rules for traveling with an Australian passport are not the same as for a US passport for a 16 year old, hence the lack of questions that a US passport holder might have had to answer. 

I considered it a blip as we have traveled many times with our grandson and no parent, and have never been questioned regarding our relationship.  We took him on his first Royal cruise at the age of 2, this was his 6th cruise with us.  The first few cruises I took documentation giving us permission but was never asked to present it, didn’t even think about needing it this time.  Getting a form notarized is not cheap!

According to Royals rules, documentation is needed for a minor which is considered under the age of 18. Has nothing to do with what country the passport is from.  Our son did not have any proof of permission to travel with his stepson as the birth father could not be located.  

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

According to Royals rules, documentation is needed for a minor which is considered under the age of 18. Has nothing to do with what country the passport is from.

Royals rules are based upon what DHS and the countries being visited require. These requirements will vary depending on country of Origin. And the particular officer/officers you interact with have some discretion in the fulfillment of their job.

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

The first few cruises I took documentation giving us permission but was never asked to present it, didn’t even think about needing it this time.  Getting a form notarized is not cheap!

I have provided the same when my mother was traveling with my daughter and stepdaughter (her grand daughter and grand stepdaughter). As they had passports and were over 16 at the time, my Ex-wife wife was not included on the letter I signed. Had they been under 16, I would have included my Ex-wife. If an officer suspected something was amiss, they may ask for that documentation. Always better to be safe than sorry.

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t disagree with your post, but find it interesting other threads here complain about how expensive RCI cruises are these days. Increasing staff would likely lead to even higher prices. I was on Independence last month and according to a few officers we talked to at the Schooner Bar, their ship has been fully staffed for awhile.  

I'm not saying that Independence was NOT fully staffed, and I'm not saying that your officers were lying, but I have not been on Independence in a long time, certainly not since covid.  But the ships that I HAVE been on were clearly lacking staff to do the extra cleaning that messy passengers cause.  

And having staff to do all of the work that needs to be done is the cost of doing business.  If you think that you are 'saving money' by having RC understaff their ships, well...........................

• Like 3