Has Ireland really imposed seasonal restrictions on tender ports or is this a NCL thing?

See the article below.  Personally, I would be livid if I were booked on this cruise. 

However, my question is more general as to whether there is actually a new law that prohibits tendering at ports in Ireland from October to April or if this is something that NCL made up?  I have googled and googled and can find no mention of any such law or when it would go into effect (2023? 2024?).  The only mention I can find is in this NCL-related article, and I would think that there would be much more coverage of such a change if other cruise lines were affected, as well as announcements as to how it would affect the port cities and their tourism.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-completely-changes-ship-itinerary/105445

I have no idea, but I did a search on a popular cruise travel website.  I plugged in Northern Europe, October '24 - February '25.  The only stop in an Ireland port is Belfast which wouldn't be a tendering port.  That is on the Sirena Oceania.  It at least seems no cruise lines are doing tender stops in Ireland from October '24 - February '25.  

I posted the information below in another thread and am re-posting it here in case it is helpful to you...

Curiosity got the better of me, and as I have an interest in the round Ireland cruises I contacted the Harbourmaster of Dun Laoghaire.

The reply I got is as follows...

I can only speak for Dun Laoghaire, a decision was made not to facilitate cruise ships on tender calls during winter months from next year, due to safety concerns and the likelihood of calls being cancelled due to bad weather, high winds and rough seas experienced in these parts, at that time of year.

Normally for the European winter months, cruise ships re-locate to the Mediterranean and Caribbean.

Dun Laoghaire has calls into October this year, breaking for winter and recommencing in April next year.

Following on from next year the cruise season in Dun Laoghaire will be April to October.

Note the text I placed in bold type... the response did not refer to a change for the whole of Ireland, and so it may be that the decision related to Dun Laoghaire only and other ports potentially would make a different decision. That, I cannot say.

• Like 2

Thank you for your research and for posting this, @Norwayfan1.  Sounds like it's actually "official" and goes beyond NCL, so I am very surprised that there isn't more about it out on the internet since it seems like it would affect other cruise lines and businesses in the port city as well.  Perhaps the other lines had already adjusted their schedules accordingly.

Edited by Vagabond Knight

It wouldn't effect business in the ports that much as October is getting very late in the season.  By mid October sunrise is around 8am and sunset around 6pm.  It gets wet and cool.  Not very pleasant.

Cork has some October arrivals, but it is not a tendering port.  Dingle, Galway and Killybegs would be tendering ports.  I would not be to confident of the weather around the south and west coasts of Ireland at that time of year.  The trip from Dingle through Galway and up along the west coast to Killybegs can be rough at the best of time.  Atlantic swells that have been unhindered for a thousand miles. We also get the tail end of some the storms that hit East Coast USA.

The Dun Laoghaire decision is very sensible.

• Like 1