Best Upcoming Itineraries---Seabourn (or luxury competitor)

SLSD

I'm searching now for our next cruise.  I'm open to most itineraries beginning with January 2024 as we have several  domestic trips scheduled for the rest of 2023.  We would be most comfortable with what we know (Seabourn), but are open to looking at Silversea, Regent and possibly the new Crystal.  Mr. SLSD doesn't want to do Antarctica (I know) . We prefer at least 14 days and 21 would be even better.   If there is an itinerary you think is fabulous out there--would you share with the rest of us?  

Edited by SLSD

Fletcher posted this on another thread. I think it sounds like an amazing itinerary and would take it if not alread booked on a Japan cruise at the time.

"Silversea has a rather astonishing trip in April 2024 - a full expedition voyage on the Amazon, across the Atlantic, then Sierra Leone, the Bijagos Archipelago in Guinea-Bissau, then Gambia and ending in Dakar, Senegal.  This is probably a one-off, never to be repeated trip. I would love to be aboard but I'll be in French Polynesia at that time. Putin willing."

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/south-america-cruise/manaus-to-dakar-wi240414021.html

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I'm open to most itineraries beginning with January 2024

Dh and I are booked on the April 14-26, 2024 crossing from Miami to Lisbon.  There is only one stop (Funchal) so that may not be your cup of tea.   We've always wanted to try one of the "repositioning" cruises, since the fares tend to be lower but the pampering the same.  This cruise continues on from Lisbon to Barcelona, if you wanted to extend your time on board.

We are booked on Seabourn’s Encore March 16-April 21, 2024.  The sailing begins in Singapore and continues to Athens,  “Arabia, Egypt and Holy Land.”  A true bucket list voyage for us.  
If you are only interested in two or three weeks, there are two segments available.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cru Doll said:

We are booked on Seabourn’s Encore March 16-April 21, 2024.  The sailing begins in Singapore and continues to Athens,  “Arabia, Egypt and Holy Land.”  A true bucket list voyage for us.  
If you are only interested in two or three weeks, there are two segments available.  

It's hard for us to leave for more than 21 days with a dog, a cat, and a farm to be concerned with.  And oh darn--we have another domestic trip for the latter part of April, first part of May.  It will be fun--but is really cutting into our cruising.  Your itinerary does look very interesting.  

35 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

Dh and I are booked on the April 14-26, 2024 crossing from Miami to Lisbon.  There is only one stop (Funchal) so that may not be your cup of tea.   We've always wanted to try one of the "repositioning" cruises, since the fares tend to be lower but the pampering the same.  This cruise continues on from Lisbon to Barcelona, if you wanted to extend your time on board.

We did a crossing from Japan to Vancouver (including the Kamchatka Peninsula and Alaska).  Sea days are not our very favorite thing--but we would not rule out that route again as we love Japan AND Alaska.  We won't be returning to Russia in this lifetime.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Fletcher posted this on another thread. I think it sounds like an amazing itinerary and would take it if not alread booked on a Japan cruise at the time.

"Silversea has a rather astonishing trip in April 2024 - a full expedition voyage on the Amazon, across the Atlantic, then Sierra Leone, the Bijagos Archipelago in Guinea-Bissau, then Gambia and ending in Dakar, Senegal.  This is probably a one-off, never to be repeated trip. I would love to be aboard but I'll be in French Polynesia at that time. Putin willing."

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/south-america-cruise/manaus-to-dakar-wi240414021.html

This looks amazing, but is probably more adventurous than we are---I say this rather sheepishly.  Just being on a ship with Fletcher would be great.  I look forward to his commentary.  We'll have to ask him to post it over here too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

We just did a Miami to Lisbon crossing with stops in the Azores in March. It was lovely and we would do it again. As they say, it's the only way to cross!

• Like 2

I'm actively searching for an appealing itinerary and I am about the throw up my hands.  The Seabourn website is terrible.  First, I have to change browsers to use it --from Chrome to Safari--and even then if does not work well.  How can Seabourn do business this way?  I am not having difficulties with the websites of other cruise lines.  

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

This looks amazing, but is probably more adventurous than we are---I say this rather sheepishly.  Just being on a ship with Fletcher would be great.  I look forward to his commentary.  We'll have to ask him to post it over here too.  

Although I am glad I have seen The Gambia and Dakar, (on the WC) they are not places I would want to see again. The 2024 Grand European has something like 17 Segments of varying lengths. Some great itineraries in there. Starting Late April through to July/August.

• Like 1

Just now, 2seabournsailors said:

Although I am glad I have seen The Gambia and Dakar, (on the WC) they are not places I would want to see again. The 2024 Grand European has something like 17 Segments of varying lengths. Some great itineraries in there. Starting Late April through to July/August.

I have always been reluctant to book a segment(s) on a WC or a Grand Voyage.  I don't like to be those passengers that the long haulers are looking at with disdain.  Talk me down from that--if you can.  

42 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I'm actively searching for an appealing itinerary and I am about the throw up my hands.  The Seabourn website is terrible.  First, I have to change browsers to use it --from Chrome to Safari--and even then if does not work well.  How can Seabourn do business this way?  I am not having difficulties with the websites of other cruise lines.  

Have you tried looking at Vacations to Go for itineraries? So easy to find the dates you want the ship and the itinerary. Then head back to Seabourn for the finer details.

Just now, 2seabournsailors said:

Have you tried looking at Vacations to Go for itineraries? So easy to find the dates you want the ship and the itinerary. Then head back to Seabourn for the finer details.

That's an idea, but how pathetic that the SB website does not work.  We will be booking through a travel agent once we find our itinerary.  

2 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I have always been reluctant to book a segment(s) on a WC or a Grand Voyage.  I don't like to be those passengers that the long haulers are looking at with disdain.  Talk me down from that--if you can.  

We didn’t really think the last WC felt like a WC as there were quite a few segments to begin with and then more were added. The Grand European already has 17 Segments so to me is just the same as a lot of back to back’s 

8 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

If you look at VTG and select the dates April to August and select Quest, hopefully that will show you all the choices…..I haven’t looked yet so hope I am right! LOL

Lorraine,

a bit off topic…I just sent you a message to your granny fb acct.

Nancy

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

The website needs major work.  I usually access via safari on my iPad and it’s hit or miss.  I use chrome on my desktop and it’s also hit or miss.

not sure if the july sojourn Iceland trip is of interest.  We booked as we’ve only been to Reykjavik and there are 6 or 7 Icelandic ports plus 3 lesser traveled British isles ports.  It’s also,RT Dover so it’s a direct flight for us as well as you.  One other bonus is the cooler temps.

good luck,

Nancy

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

We didn’t really think the last WC felt like a WC as there were quite a few segments to begin with and then more were added. The Grand European already has 17 Segments so to me is just the same as a lot of back to back’s 

I totally agree with you.  We try to avoid short back to back cruises--it's minefield out there looking for the right itinerary.  

12 minutes ago, nancygp said:

The website needs major work.  I usually access via safari on my iPad and it’s hit or miss.  I use chrome on my desktop and it’s also hit or miss.

not sure if the july sojourn Iceland trip is of interest.  We booked as we’ve only been to Reykjavik and there are 6 or 7 Icelandic ports plus 3 lesser traveled British isles ports.  It’s also,RT Dover so it’s a direct flight for us as well as you.  One other bonus is the cooler temps.

good luck,

Nancy

Those of us from Texas are ALWAYS looking for cooler weather.  There is no way we would ever book summertime cruise in the Med or in many other places in Europe.  I'll look at the itinerary you mention--I'm assuming it is July 2024? And Direct flights are good--very good.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Those of us from Texas are ALWAYS looking for cooler weather.  There is no way we would ever book summertime cruise in the Med or in many other places in Europe.  I'll look at the itinerary you mention--I'm assuming it is July 2024? And Direct flights are good--very good.  

july 27th, 2024

nancy

• Thanks 1

I've spent a good bit of time today looking at itineraries on Seabourn--and on Silversea, Regent, and the new Crystal.  

Thank you to 2seabourn sailors for suggesting I look at Vacations to Go to ferret out the itineraries since the Seabourn website is so painful to use.  I've looked at Vacations to Go in the past, but since I would never book through them (should we?  ever?) I had not looked at the site recently.  

One of our friends, who doesn't cruise now due to age, has been urging Mr. SLSD to book an Asian cruise during the winter.  We had looked at those and I had dismissed the idea, perhaps prematurely.  

I went back  to the Seabourn website today after looking at the whole panoply of choices on Vacations to Go.  January is a very good time for us to cruise.  Christmas with the family will be behind us, and our next domestic trip will not be until April. 

We're looking at a January 20th 14 days cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore.  I wish it was longer, but it is what it is.  We have not been to Hong Kong (have been to mainland China and do not consider it a vacation spot).  I know Hong Kong is changed now due to being part of mainland China now. 

Here are the ports which are nicely space among sea days.  I really like sea days sprinkled in among ports--never more than one sea day at a time. 

Hong Kong

Halong Bay, Viet Nam

Da Nang (Hue) Viet Nam

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Viet Nam

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Ko Kood, Thailand

Laem Chabag (Bangkok) Thailand

Singapore

My questions concern the ports.  Are they good ports in terms of things to see and do?  Or, are some of them a long way from things to see and do.  Have any of you experienced this itinerary? 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I've spent a good bit of time today looking at itineraries on Seabourn--and on Silversea, Regent, and the new Crystal.  

Thank you to 2seabourn sailors for suggesting I look at Vacations to Go to ferret out the itineraries since the Seabourn website is so painful to use.  I've looked at Vacations to Go in the past, but since I would never book through them (should we?  ever?) I had not looked at the site recently.  

One of our friends, who doesn't cruise now due to age, has been urging Mr. SLSD to book an Asian cruise during the winter.  We had looked at those and I had dismissed the idea, perhapas prematurely.  

I went back  to the Seabourn website today after looking at the whole panoply of choices on Vacations to Go.  January is a very good time for us to cruise.  Christmas with the family will be behind us, and our next domestic trip will not be until April. 

We're looking at a January 20th 14 days cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore.  I wish it was longer, but it is what it is.  We have not been to Hong Kong (have been to mainland China and do not consider it a vacation spot).  I know Hong Kong is changed now due to being part of mainland China now. 

Here are the ports which are nicely space among sea days.  I really like sea days sprinkled in among ports--never more than one sea day at a time. 

Hong Kong

Halong Bay, Viet Nam

Da Nang (Hue) Viet Nam

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Ko Kood, Thailand

Singapore

My questions concern the ports.  Are they good ports in terms of things to see and do?  Or, are some of them a long way from things to see and do.  Have any of you experienced this itinerary? 

Plenty to see in Hong Kong, just google all the ideas and easy to get around via taxis and train. We even tried the bus, but got very lost and saw parts of Hong Kong no Westerner has ever seen before. 

Halong Bay is just beautiful....do one of the boat tours, its a spectacular part of the World.

Ko Kood if the very BEST of Seabourns Caviar in the Surf....gorgeous beach.

Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh are very busy Cities, but again lots to see, I would only do these places on a Tour, as I'm not too adventurous these days. I'm sure there would be tours that would be of interest.

Don't think we got off the ship in Da Nang, I seem to remember it being a very wet day so we had a lazy one onboard.

And Singapore is one of my favourite Cities in the World, again lots to see, just google to see what interests you. Also has to be about the safest place in the World......we were once going to eat in a very very busy Food Court for local food.....as soon as we spotted a spare table, we grabbed it, then took it in turns of going off to collect our food. Couldn't believe our eyes when a group of young girls came in, put their purses down on an empty table, then all went off to look for food.....10 minutes later, they were back and their purses were still where they had left them Imagine that happening ANYWHERE else in the World? Really nice place to visit.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

Plenty to see in Hong Kong, just google all the ideas and easy to get around via taxis and train. We even tried the bus, but got very lost and saw parts of Hong Kong no Westerner has ever seen before. 

Halong Bay is just beautiful....do one of the boat tours, its a spectacular part of the World.

Ko Kood if the very BEST of Seabourns Caviar in the Surf....gorgeous beach.

Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh are very busy Cities, but again lots to see, I would only do these places on a Tour, as I'm not too adventurous these days. I'm sure there would be tours that would be of interest.

Don't think we got off the ship in Da Nang, I seem to remember it being a very wet day so we had a lazy one onboard.

And Singapore is one of my favourite Cities in the World, again lots to see, just google to see what interests you. Also has to be about the safest place in the World......we were once going to eat in a very very busy Food Court for local food.....as soon as we spotted a spare table, we grabbed it, then took it in turns of going off to collect our food. Couldn't believe our eyes when a group of young girls came in, put their purses down on an empty table, then all went off to look for food.....10 minutes later, they were back and their purses were still where they had left them Imagine that happening ANYWHERE else in the World? Really nice place to visit.

I've spent some time reading about each port and it looks promising.  Thank you for your comments.  We would arrive in Hong Kong several days early if we decide to book this cruise and see the most interesting things.  We would probably hire a private guide as we did in Beijing when we were there.  We would also spend some time in Singapore.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I've spent some time reading about each port and it looks promising.  Thank you for your comments.  We would arrive in Hong Kong several days early if we decide to book this cruise and see the most interesting things.  We would probably hire a private guide as we did in Beijing when we were there.  We would also spend some time in Singapore.  

we went to Disneyland in Hong Kong LOL...... 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Hong Kong

Halong Bay, Viet Nam

Da Nang (Hue) Viet Nam

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Ko Kood, Thailand

Singapore

I did this cruise as my first cruise on Seabourn in 2010 on Seabourn Pride and did a similar itinerary in January 2019 on Ovation. 

Hong Kong was an amazing place to visit but I haven't been back since China reclaimed it. On a small group tour we did 1.5 weeks ago a couple from Hong Kong was there and they reassured us there was no problems for them and they worked very high up in the Corporate world. We did things like a red sailed junk tour of the harbour, a helicopter flight, taking the tour to Victoria Peak which was amazing for the views. 

Halong Bay we did a junk tour, explored a large well lighted cave and a kayak. We didn't do the kayak on our second visit but our friends did and enjoyed it. 

Da Nang you can either visit Hoi An or Hue. We have visited Hoi An both times and enjoyed the historic old town. 

Laem Chabang the bigger ships can't get right up the river like the smaller ships. We didn't want to take the long bus ride into Bangkok as we had visited previously. We went to visit The Sanctuary of Truth a large Wooden Temple about 20 minutes drive away set in a park which we enjoyed. Others did the long bus ride and enjoyed what they saw. 

Sihanoukville, Cambodia has sadly became very dusty and not great to visit due to the multiple building projects of resorts and casinos for the Chinese tourism. We hired a car to go out of town but I would seriously consider making it a sea day.

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Viet Nam is fascinating and lots to visit and we love the food there. We even did a cooking class last time.

Ko Kood as mentioned earlier is a great Seabourn beach day. 

Agree also that Singapore is a wonderful place to visit. We always enjoy it and even visit it just as land trip. Changi Airport, especially with the new renovations to the business class lounge is a tour stop in itself. 

Julie

• Thanks 1