Kusadasi Turkey to Camlik

My husband is a huge train enthusiast. We have a stop in Kusadasi and we are wondering if anyone has gone to Camlik Locomotive Museum. Any information would be appreciated. Are any tour operators advertising this? I am not finding very much information. I also think we will be very tired of historical ruins and need something different to do that day. It seems very interesting but getting there is daunting. Our ship will be there 9:00am-6:00pm

Edited by sasandy

• sasandy changed the title to Kusadasi Turkey to Camlik
12 hours ago, sasandy said:

getting there is daunting

Have you tried Googling Kusadasi to Kamlik Railway Museum?  Rome2rio has the info you are looking for, taxi being the fastest for the short journey, so you may not need an actual tour if the exhibits have explanatory notes.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I fully understand your fear of being tired of ruins by the time you reach Kusadasi, but I just want to put in a plea for you to consider a visit to Ephesus. I can't tell you how many times I've read on this site from cruisers who were blown away by the ruins because they had no idea what to expect.

The ruins of Ephesus are extremely impressive; probably some of the best reconstructed Roman ruins I've seen -- certainly on a par with Pompeii or the Colosseum in Rome. The link to the video below gives a good taste of what you will see there. I hope you'll consider it. 

Being in port for as long as your are, you could reach out to a local agency to see if they'd be willing to put together a private tour to both the Ephesus site AND the railway museum. I've never heard of the latter or of anyone going there (having been to Ephesus 5 times) but if it interests you, and it's not too far, why not?  Private tour agencies in Turkey are very flexible. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

Thank you cruisemom42. I am also considering Ephesus as we are very interested in history and ruins. In fact, I will be researching what the places looked like back in their glory and will bring the information and pictures with us. We have 4 days in Rome then a cruise through Greece and back to Italy including Naples where we will go to Pompeii. I am noticing that we will be seeing several outdoor ancient theatres. Not sure if more than 3 is too many. 

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Have you tried Googling Kusadasi to Kamlik Railway Museum?  Rome2rio has the info you are looking for, taxi being the fastest for the short journey, so you may not need an actual tour if the exhibits have explanatory notes.

I have looked at Rome2rio and will research if the exhibits might also be in English.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sasandy said:

I am also considering Ephesus as we are very interested in history and ruins

Only now read that you have never visited Ephesus on a previous trip,(had thought this must be a second or third Kusadasi visit) so  I would also strongly urge you to visit Ephesus, one of the top Roman sites you could visit anywhere.  And if you can,also  try to get into the Terraced Houses section as this section is not always included in a "standard" tour.  There are a number of previous threads which you can find easily using the SEARCH tool under your user name.

you said

Not sure if more than 3 is too many. 

in that case, you might want to consider dropping one of the other  3 and replacing it with Ephesus.

And as already suggested, you could perhaps include the Railway Museum, although that be costly for a private tour for only 2 persons and not everyone in a group might be interested in the Museum.  Perhaps you could visit Ephesus first and if time allows afterwards, simply take a taxi for 2 the short distance to the museum?

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Private tour prices in Turkey are very reasonable. I would venture to guess that you can find a private agency that would put together a tour for just the two of you for Ephesus (incl. Terrace Houses) and the Railway Museum for around 50-60 euro per person. Even for just two people.  

Pre-Covid I used Ephesus Shuttle for a similar private tour for one to Ephesus and the Ephesus museum in Selcuk. I can't remember exactly but it was around 100-120 euros total for up to 2 people.

• Like 2

Although we have not been to nearly as many ruins as Cruisemom (she must be truly "ruined") we have done our share all over the world.  Ephesus remains atop our personal list of favorite ruins (which is why we have visited 4 times).  And Ephesus is still a work in progress, so for those of us return every few years we usually get to see newly excavated sections (the Terrace Houses are an example).  

Although we try to advise by giving various options, for those who go to Kusadasi (or Ismir) for the first time, we strongly suggest visiting Ephesus and making it your priority.  And we agree with Cruisemom (and plenty of others) that the best way to visit Ephesus is to book a a small group or private tour with any of several excellent local companies.  

Hank

We have enjoyed several visits to Kusadasi, and  agree that Ephesus and the terrace houses are a must the first time.  But after several visits we were very impressed by the ancient cities of Priene, Miletus and Didyma.  

Ha ha ok I am on board with going to Ephesus! It really does sound interesting. Especially the terrace houses. For now I think I will book an excursion that includes the terrace houses through the cruise and then can cancel it if I can find a small group.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 12:22 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I fully understand your fear of being tired of ruins by the time you reach Kusadasi, but I just want to put in a plea for you to consider a visit to Ephesus. I can't tell you how many times I've read on this site from cruisers who were blown away by the ruins because they had no idea what to expect.

The ruins of Ephesus are extremely impressive; probably some of the best reconstructed Roman ruins I've seen -- certainly on a par with Pompeii or the Colosseum in Rome. The link to the video below gives a good taste of what you will see there. I hope you'll consider it. 

Being in port for as long as your are, you could reach out to a local agency to see if they'd be willing to put together a private tour to both the Ephesus site AND the railway museum. I've never heard of the latter or of anyone going there (having been to Ephesus 5 times) but if it interests you, and it's not too far, why not?  Private tour agencies in Turkey are very flexible. 

Thank-you cruisemom.  We will be there in Sept 2024 and are really looking forward to our visit!