All things Holland

Hello! New to Holland, not new to cruising. I am trying to learn all I can before we cruise. We will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam if that matters. I have recently read a couple of things, but they are pre-covid blogs. I am wondering if anyone can confirm two items for me. 

I read that you can get a free (included in your cruise fare) waffle cone? Can anyone provide more info if this is still true and if so, where do we find this? (It will make the hubs and daughter extremely happy, but I don't want to tell them about it until I confirm it!)

Also heard that they have a nacho bar? Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks! I have a ton more questions, but I am working through the boards now and trying to learn!

55 minutes ago, Cruising with kiddos said:

Hello! New to Holland, not new to cruising. I am trying to learn all I can before we cruise. We will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam if that matters. I have recently read a couple of things, but they are pre-covid blogs. I am wondering if anyone can confirm two items for me. 

I read that you can get a free (included in your cruise fare) waffle cone? Can anyone provide more info if this is still true and if so, where do we find this? (It will make the hubs and daughter extremely happy, but I don't want to tell them about it until I confirm it!)

Thanks! I have a ton more questions, but I am working through the boards now and trying to learn!

I have never heard of any charge for ice cream cones.  They were readily available in the Lido on the Eurodam last March..  HAL used to have a nacho bar, but I have not seen it on the last two or three cruises.  Perhaps someone else has a more current nacho report.

• Like 1

Ice cream is available at lunch and, I guess, at dinner. I was on NA's sister, Eurodam this past winter and there definitely was ice cream at lunch. I don't know what kind of cones they had, as I generally get ice cream in a dish to avoid drips. 

I think the nacho bars are gone from all ships, probably a result of covid safety. But the buffet has a taco station with all sorts of ingredients. I loved the guacamole, although the Texans I met said it was too mild for them! 

The buffet is set up in stations, so it's a good idea to take a walk around and see what appeals to you. They do post menus at the stations and also on the Navigator app. There's always an Asian station, Italian (pizza and pasta), "Distant Lands" which can vary in its offerings, and a carved to order roast with veg, etc.. Great salad station, and they build your salad for you, so there aren't a lot of people touching the ingredients! My go-to lunch is a nice big salad, and then I go to the taco station for chips and guac. 

• Like 2

There used to be a taco bar set up next to the Dive In, but I haven't seen that in my last 3 post covid sailings.  Truthfully, I am glad because I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning from it years ago.  I think the sour cream or something that was supposed to be cold was probably sitting out in the hot pool area too long.  I know I don't miss it.  As stated, you can get tacos and fixings in the Lido.  IDK that I have seen waffle cones on NA, but I don't think much of their ice cream since I'm a premium or gelato lover.  

• Like 1

There is a free ice cream station on all ships with sauces and extra sprinkles, and on the largest Pinnacle class there is a for-fee Gelato Bar - excellent gelato which is well worth the modest upcharge.

Can't remember what cones were available at the fee gelato bar.  But that will not be available on your ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam anyway.  Sorry. Maybe the array of sauces and sprinkles at the regular ice cream bar, along with a variety of fresh cookies can make up for no waffle cones, if that is the case.  I do think they have regular cones and sugar cones.

Be sure to look for the fresh crepe station for breakfast at the Lido, as well as Belgium Waffles. 

Enjoy the Nieuw Amsterdam - it is a lovely ship, and be sure to visit the Tamarind specialty pan-Asian restaurant (fee) but a lovely experience.  Finding the large stainless steel Big Apple on this ship in an out of way corner, in commemoration of  the ship's namesake, makes a good treasure hunt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruising with kiddos said:

waffle cone? 

nacho bar?

yes, the ice cream station has wafer cones and waffle cones

yes, the taco bar has all you might need to make a plate of nacho's for yourself

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruising with kiddos said:

I was aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam two months ago and will be again in October.

Waffle cones are available at the Sweet Spot in the Lido Market. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam---Lido-Restaurant/IMG_0452-Large.jpg

There is not, or has there ever been, a Taco/Nacho Bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  There are nacho chips and taco fixings available in the Lido Market during lunch and dinner at the Pasta Station.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam---Lido-Restaurant/IMG_0459-Large.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam---Lido-Restaurant/IMG_0821-Large.jpg

Here is a link to my photo review to help with some of your questions:

Nieuw Amsterdam Photo Review

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The nacho chips tend to go quickly for some reason (that bowl seems empty more often than full), but there will be crispy taco shells that you can break up.

Love the waffle cones! Basic flavors are available everyday then they'll add a special flavor each day - check the sign at the Sweet Spot.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

If this has been mentioned, I apologize. I just skimmed the thread. When scoping out your ice cream choices, check both sides of the Lido buffet. The every day flavors stay the same, but there's usually a feature flavor and often differs on each side. If you are a vanilla or chocolate ice cream person, it doesn't matter. My father in law, on the other hand, was always on the hunt for special flavors. He did a full lap before committing.

As has been mentioned, there are quite a few sundae ingredients available.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

If this has been mentioned, I apologize. I just skimmed the thread. When scoping out your ice cream choices, check both sides of the Lido buffet. The every day flavors stay the same, but there's usually a feature flavor and often differs on each side. If you are a vanilla or chocolate ice cream person, it doesn't matter. My father in law, on the other hand, was always on the hunt for special flavors. He did a full lap before committing.

Never noticed the daily special could be different on each side - I will definitely check next cruise when I'm on the hunt for mint chocolate chip. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, POA1 said:

Also, at least on the Zuiderdam, which I am on, they may have sorbet or sherbet, but it isn't listed. I always ask the server and she digs in the cooler for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seems the older ships still have the taco bar near the Dive In. It was on the Westerdam & Oosterdam since September of 2022.  Was not on the Konigsdam or Statendam.  Just retired and cruised many times since 8/2022.  🙂.   Ice cream at the Lido at lunch & dinner.  (The ice cream scooper person always knows my husband by name!!!  BAD)    I’ll take the cookies 

Edited by bluesplayer
Auto correct
  • Like 2

Taco bar was available on Zaandam earlier this month, so definitely not a post-COVID precaution. On our holiday cruise, we heard from our Maitre D' friend that they are removing the separate taco bars on all the Vista class ships and higher. Not sure why - perhaps those ships have more room at the buffet to accommodate those items?

• Like 2

Taco bar, self-serve, with all the 'fixins was on the Oosterdam in June of this year, and it got plenty of customers.  It's on the lido deck, starboard side, next to the Dive-In.

Hard corn taco shells, and soft flour tortillas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1