Silversea and 3 other lines: Strengths and weaknesses

JSR

3 hours ago, JSR said:

@Peter Lanky many cruise lines offer the option to pay an additional amount to include a beverage package as well as prepaid gratuities and Wi-Fi. With Cunard I do not know if it is an option in all classes on all ships. I have seen it many times being offered in many classes. When you get a drink you still have to show your card as some people have packages and others don’t. 

As I'd suggested, my main reason for avoiding Cunard was that it is important to me (and I know many will criticise such a thought process) that I am not wanting to purchase anything after I have paid for the advertised price for the cruise, hence my preference for Azamara/Silversea. A possible window of opportunity opened when somebody earlier mentioned that higher categories of Cunard cabin may have these inclusions in the book price but others have suggested this is not the case.

I'm never going to be reaching a higher loyalty level, so there's no opening there. I'm happy sticking with Azamara, but will probably pass on Silversea in the future due to the high price, but will always keep an eye out for repositioning itineraries.

What does surprise me is the very small number of accessible cabins on all the ships I've looked at considering the age demographic. I can manage without one if really necessary, with some assistance from my better half, but I need extra recovery time when I do get inside. 😉

2 hours ago, markham said:

The “upper classes” on Cunard do not include much of anything you get included on Silversea eg drinks (unless you buy a package) or internet for the full cruise. Even as top tier Club members (450 days +) in Queens grill you will only get a derisory 20% off laundry while after 100 days you get laundry included at Silversea. Internet is included at Silversea too. 

But of course Britannia class at Cunard is cheaper per day by far but those extras do add up.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I am in queens grill with a drinks package thanks to a great promotion 

2 hours ago, canderson said:

@markham

You described "upper classes" in terms of membership tier.  I'm wondering if the query by @JSR wasn't instead directed at cabin class.

What I meant by upper classes is queens or princess grill cabins vs Britannia cabins. They are separate classes in terms of dining rooms and cabin sizes. But not drinks and laundry pricing.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I was speaking of ship classes. I only have experience with two TA on Cunard and both included drinks, gratuities and OBC and that was the lowest price for the cabin we booked. However, the drinks are capped at $12 per drink. If it is a $14 drink you pay the full $14 not the $2 difference. The Sommelier will limited what you are offered to what is included if you wish. Cunard did not include WiFi, I used OBC to purchase it. It is terrible but I had to be able to be in touch with home. There are no excursions on a TA as there are no ports. They have such promotions in the US every time I have looked at TAs in Queen’s or Princess grill. I have not checked Britannia or Britannia Grill. 

Edited by JSR