Holland 🇳🇱 America 🇺🇸 Has Largest Booking Day In Their History!

JeffElizabeth

Question for Canadians: If you booked or looked at cruises on Tuesday, July 11th, was your deposit $1 CAD or did you have to pay more because of the exchange rate? I'm just curious. Thank you.

41 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Question for Canadians: If you booked or looked at cruises on Tuesday, July 11th, was your deposit $1 CAD or did you have to pay more because of the exchange rate? I'm just curious. Thank you.

I didn't purchase during this most recent $1 deposit day but did during a previous one in mid April.  I was charged $1 CAD.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I paid $1 CAD each.  Waited for the credit card company to suspect possible fraud, but so far, my card is still working 😉

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I didn't purchase during this most recent $1 deposit day but did during a previous one in mid April.  I was charged $1 CAD.

22 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I paid $1 CAD each.  Waited for the credit card company to suspect possible fraud, but so far, my card is still working 😉

I'm delighted to here about the fabulous Canadian discount! 😁 I was a little confused by @VennDiagram's comment and then I realized that the charge is less than a dollar and that's $1 is often the minimum charge amount on credit cards.

• Haha 1

Just discovered and read though this thread. We became aware of the $1 deal on another CC thread. We had been looking at a HAL TA next Spring, but our life situation makes long range planning sometimes difficult. We have had to forfeit two deposits in the last couple years. The $1 deal made it a no brainer to book the cruise we wanted and the Deluxe Have It All made final costs quite reasonable. We didn’t book several others to hedge the bets- not our style. Looking forward to the cruise without worry about an unexpected event costing us another $1K in lost deposit.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I'm a regular celebrity cruiser. The 40% off sounds great but they charge so much for their version of the have it all bundle it jacks the price up. And buying the drink package separately is even worse, over $100/day. Part of why I have started looking beyond Celebrity us because the prices seem to have gone crazy lately 

The same thinking got me to book my next cruise on Oceania. Pricing ended up being similar to what I paid on HAL.

On 7/16/2023 at 1:08 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

How is it a super deal?  You still have to pay for it, sometimes its more $ than the day before.  Give me 40 percent off any day.

By a strange coincidence, it worked out to a 40% discount for me. My Vista on the V'dam was far cheaper than an inside on the usual cruise.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A4G03BY3C/K449A.html

Look at next year's Alaska itineraries. Last week, you could get $350 pp deals for the standard 7-D cruise.

Edited by HappyInVan

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

By a strange coincidence, it worked out to a 40% discount for me. My Vista on the V'dam was far cheaper than an inside on the usual cruise.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A4G03BY3C/K449A.html

Look at next year's Alaska itineraries. Last week, you could get $350 pp deals for the standard 7-D cruise.

I'm not asking for the list of super deals.  I can find those easily on my own.  I was asking why the $1 deposit was a "super deal".  I understand that a normal deposit is more.  It's still not a "deal".  Pricing is the same.

27 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm not asking for the list of super deals.  I can find those easily on my own.  I was asking why the $1 deposit was a "super deal".  I understand that a normal deposit is more.  It's still not a "deal".  Pricing is the same.

It is a deal if you use it for a non refundable rate, instead of the more expensive refundable rate.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Its a super deal to me if I don't have to withdraw from my investment account for a year. Granted the interest i would make on the amount of a deposit is small (maybe $50-80), but better for me to make 50 bucks than make zero, correct? 

You seem a little angry at those of us who booked on $1 deposit day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

??????

Just to explain. Some only book refundable rates to maintain flexibility and avoid loss if their plans change. A $1 sale allows someone to take advantage of the lower non refundable deposit rates, saving money, while limiting potential loss to $1.

12 minutes ago, Ellesor826 said:

We missed this sailing sale.  
Would have definitely booked with a $1- deposit.  
Was an email sent out - how did y’all find out about the $1 deposit 

😢🥺

There was a thread here but on the Canadian website it was blasted over the front page.  I assume it was on the USA site but I don’t see it so I’m not sure.

Welcome to all new cruisers  who  first booked a HAL cruise because of this sale

imo HAL's sales needed a  boost & the one dollar sale gave it to them  .Yes it hurt some but favored many . The test of time will tell all whether the $1 sale was a good sale or not. . Booking a cruise with thqat $1 deposit affords people the ability to book into the lowest cost  which is the non refundable rate , If cancelled before final payment date they loose #1 each pax . Then HL most likely will need to lower the cabin prices to attract buyers . 

If we were bottom shopping  I would wait but ,then that can cause not getting the stare rooms that are most desirable 

There will always pros & cons about these sales . If we did not need a handicap state room ,We  would have booked a couple of cruises with that $1 deposit sale .what it did for us was take away a 7   day  pre cruise  which we would have taken plus the 17 day Hawaii cruise  ,after it .We could not get a handicap for the  7 day ,So we could not book the 24 day cruise .so we did the next best thing & booked a 19 day Hawaii cruise 

The bottom line is   the $1 deposit sale benefitted many people & gave Holland America headlines on the Carnival corp financial pages . Now ,the bottom line is how many of those $1 deposit sales actually sticks .. If not then the sale was a bust if it beings ub more revenue then it was successful ,Always the Test of ttime