Viking (Danube) River Cruise Excursion Reviews?

WSR

Hello everyone.  My wife and I will be in Europe from July 23rd - August 6, 2023 to take our first river cruise aboard the Viking Var along the Danube from Regensburg to Budapest.  (We have also extended our trip on both sides of the cruise!)   

We have booked all the complimentary excursions and are trying to decide what additional excursions we want to pay for, and I am wondering if any of these excursions have been formally reviewed?  I have searched the internet and cannot find any reviews so I hoping you could help.  

Is it enough to know that ALL Viking Excursions are great?  Or is there a better way to discern that one is better than another, or if there is a "must see" that should should not be missed?

Thank you in advance!  

Hi there -

It might help if you list what the excursions are that you are considering...  People could offer opinions on a trip to "x" destination even if it is with another line...  For example - if you don't stop in Bratislava - but it is offered as an optional - do people think it is worth the time and price?  

Just a suggestion...

Fran

• Like 2

Sometimes people post about excursions in the roll calls when they are answering questions.  You might check out past roll calls for your cruise under Viking River Roll Calls.  The roll calls there are arranged by year for a given itinerary, like this one

• Like 1

Thank you.  I appreciate the feedback from the two of you, and see that others have provided their thoughts on the excursions they were on.  I will browse through the recent roll calls to learn more.  

Thanks again!

Budapest is an awesome city... We have visited a few times. 

I see you are extending your time there.  So much to see and do.  If you are looking for an authentic  Hungarian restaurant, I suggest you consider Cafe Kor. It is on the Pest side - just down the street St. Stephen's cathedral. 

Fran

• Like 1

The search function is quite good on CC.

Try putting the name of the excursion that you are considering into the search.  Note that you can search "Everywhere", "This Forum", or "This Topic".  I generally always stick to these three depending on where I am starting the search.  

If you are in roll calls, then restrict your search to "This Forum" but if you are on the main page of CC then you might search "Everywhere".

Also, if the name of the excursion is quite long, and you don't get the results, just truncate the name a bit and see if you find results.

Using search almost always gets me the information that I want.

image.png.450bff55c61000811086be2fdae2c846.png

We were on the Viking Var Danube cruise a couple years ago.   We loved the cruise.    I was pleasantly surprised at the number of locks you go through (more than 20) - boring for some folks, but I thought those were really interesting.....

As far as excursions typically we did the included viking tour, which usually was only 1.5 hours or so, but that gave us enough introduction to do the remainder of the afternoon on our own.  

A couple excursions we did take -  Nuremburg WWII tour - outstanding... our tour guide had a Masters in WWII history and it was really good.   Not sure if you go to Nuremburg or not.

We also did the Viking Mozart concert in Vienna.  We were underwhelmed, although a lot of people liked it.   I was expecting  a big concert hall.    This was a concert just for Viking in a smaller room of the concert hall.  It was a bit of a variety / comedy show mixed with the music - almost like a big cruise ship variety show.  I think we would pass on this next time.

• Like 2