The Happy Wanderer---tackles the Noordam!

RuthC

Hi Ruth --

Just dropping by to let you know how much I enjoy your many posts and how very helpful they have been to me.

I posted this comment on another thread but don't know if it was "rejected" -- apparently, I mentioned a Warwick landmark and should not have done so (didn't know this!). I lived in Warwick for almost 40 years, moving to Connecticut in the fall of 2003 so as to be near my grandchildren!

I'm booked on the Amsterdam for the 6/12 Baltic cruise. Counting the hours!

ML

Beats me, Heather. But apparently that's exactly what happened.

ML---thank you so much for the kind words. I'll try to figure out which bridge you meant and answer you on the other thread.

btw---they're still talking about expanding the airport. Again. :rolleyes: They want to take Airport Rd. in one of the proposals! :eek:

Good Morning! When I submitted the first post, it was returned to me with asterisks in place of the bridge project I had mentioned, so I did it again (in two places). Perhaps the administrators thought it was the name of a person. Anyway, the bridge reconstruction was an absolute nightmare for the last couple of years I lived in Warwick. Hint: There's a long-standing Inn with the same name as the bridge. By the way, in one of my posts I believe I mentioned that I had lived in Warwick for 30 years -- wow, is my math bad! It was actually almost 40 years. Can that be true!

In any event, thanks for all your very valuable input on these message boards. I have traveled quite a bit, some of it via cruises, but never with HAL. I've heard great things about that line and about the Baltic ports.

Now I've got it! That bridge. In the green wood area of town, right? I live near it, yet haven't been down that way in quite a while. It was still a mess then (December 28th).

Maybe I'll take myself out to dinner at that "Inn" and check on the progress. I usually use Jefferson Blvd. coming home, but I can come back on Post Rd. just as easily.

Ruth,

Thanks for the wonderful Noordam review and the on-board commentary.

Reading it was bittersweet, however. We were booked on Noordam's repositioning cruise to the Med that leaves in a few days. We cancelled it for a land trip to Africa. Now, after reading your words, I'm having misgivings. We were in a hotel last week and it struck me how much I missed the "motion of the ocean."

Oh well, it's too late to change now. We'll be on the Prinsendam in August, so not all is lost.

BTW, please send us your elevator "secret." When we get off Prinsendam in Rome we have to rush off to FCO.

Have a great Alaska adventure.

Cathy and Ted

Thanks for the info on the drawer under the couch, LC; it might be good to know if I ever sail a Vista again.

That the drawers are full isn't a problem. Either the steward can remove them entirely, or they fit nicely in that space under the permanent shelves---you know, the ones where the safe is.

I think they should really give you map of all the hidden storage... took me a few days to realize the little round seat under the mirror was storage... and it was not until my last few days that I realized there were drawers under the couch. The underbed drawer I found trying to hide my suitcase.

HI CTguy...I don't thing you ever left that cabin 000 that so many of us were stuck with for sooooo long.

Karen

You had a BED???

LOL.

I didn't move far from 000. An inside, very small cabin. It was a connecting stateroom and the wonderfully thin doors provided more than adequate details of the folks next door's daily problems and activities. I didn't have room for a couch. The single chair took up enough space that I had to edge around the table to get in bed. The underbed drawer was where they hid the luggage mat and the scarf thingy that replaced the bedspreads. Could have used some real drawers in the desk/vanity instead of just the ones by the bed that you needed a crowbar to open. BUT..... it was still a great cruise!

Hi Karen,

We really didn't need extra storage space , my wife is a great packer, so I never thought of the round thing and couch for storage space. Good to know for next cruise,

Connguy. after days of fighting with the little drawers I finally figured it out.

They are so stiff so that the motion of the ship doesn't make them slide in and out.

Any other tidbits will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan:cool::cool:

Ctguy, you make me glad I didn't book until the last minute. I only happened to glance at the outside cabin prices while I was on hold to book an inside---they were lower! Grabbed something just to get on the ship, and then got upgraded to something that must have been preferable to what you describe. :eek:

Some days ya get the peanuts; some days ya get the shells. That was a peanut day. :)

I agree with Karen. Perhaps HAL should consider giving maps to the storage areas. We just got off the Noordam on Saturday and never did find half of the storage drawers. I bet the person reading my comment card suggesting more storage space is wondering what I was talking about. But both husband and I have badddddd backs and getting down on our knees to find storage isn't appealing.

Pat

Some things in life are better rich. . . coffee, chocolate, men,

• 2 weeks later...
Ctguy, you make me glad I didn't book until the last minute. I only happened to glance at the outside cabin prices while I was on hold to book an inside---they were lower! Grabbed something just to get on the ship, and then got upgraded to something that must have been preferable to what you describe. :eek:

Some days ya get the peanuts; some days ya get the shells. That was a peanut day. :)

I love the idea of "peanut days"! May we all have lots of peanut days as we take our wonderful cruises and meet such great people. The peanuts make up for the shells!

Archived