The Happy Wanderer---tackles the Noordam!

RuthC

Rev Neal,

This is the first time I've posted on this board but have enjoyed reading the post from all the CC'ers, particularly yours over the past several months.

I have a quick question but would first like to take this opportunity to thank you very very much for your Noordam maiden voyage report, beautiful photos and all of the great pre and post cruise information.

My wife, son and daughter in-law (to be :) ) are cruising the Noordam on 4-5-05 for our fourth cruise and first on HAL. I'm very excited and can't wait to for this vacation as I am totaly stressed out from work and in desparate need of a relaxing cruise in the company of friendly people. The CC'ers board just enhances the excitement.

My wife asked me today if bottled water would be available on board. I wasn't sure, but knew exactly where to get the answer. Thanks for your and all the other CC'ers continued wealth of information.

Rev Neal,

This is the first time I've posted on this board but have enjoyed reading the post from all the CC'ers, particularly yours over the past several months.

I have a quick question but would first like to take this opportunity to thank you very very much for your Noordam maiden voyage report, beautiful photos and all of the great pre and post cruise information.

Welcome to the board! And, thank you for your kind words.

My wife, son and daughter in-law (to be :) ) are cruising the Noordam on 4-5-05 for our fourth cruise and first on HAL. I'm very excited and can't wait to for this vacation as I am totaly stressed out from work and in desparate need of a relaxing cruise in the company of friendly people. The CC'ers board just enhances the excitement.

My wife asked me today if bottled water would be available on board. I wasn't sure, but knew exactly where to get the answer. Thanks for your and all the other CC'ers continued wealth of information.

I trust you will have a glorious time aboard the Noordam. She is a LOVELY ship, and a true credit to the HAL fleet. Yes, there is bottled water available aboard ship. I don't normally drink much of it since I find the water that comes out of the tap in the Lido to be perfectly fine. I bring a bottle and re-fill it there on a regular basis. But, if you want bottled water, they DO have it.

I got kissed :D ! And I kissed him back! OK, fine---so it was a dolphin, but it was the best I've done in years :rolleyes: , so I'll take it. And it was a real good time. I did the dolphin swim in Tortola.

longtimecruiser, her daughter, and I joined a few others on the tour independant of HAL (saved enough for the pictures ;) ). It was lots of fun. We were pulled, pushed, twisted and turned by a pair of these always-smiling creatures. They did seem to be thinking about how hard it was to train these humans, though.

If you ever get a chance to take the plunge, I recommend it. One word of caution, though: water shoes (is that two words? :confused: ). You wait your turn on a metal grate---much of which has no matting. Neither do the stairs getting down there.

There is also a flight of stairs you need to negotiate to see the orientation video, and to watch the DVD (overpriced at $50) and photos ($10 each for more than one).

The tour was a blast. This should keep me in good standing as the "cool grandmother".

Ruth, Thanks ever so much for taking us along on your wonderful cruise. I am just thrilled that you are having a great time!!

You're one classy lady and deserve to be shown a good time!! ;)

You also have much more nerve than I have--swimming with those wonderful creatures! :D

Oh Ruth I am so glad you got kissed;) I just love the swim with the dolphins. The last time I got to do it was in P.V. and it was wonderful. I am hoping to do it again in November. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time glad you can report in.:)

Miss Ruth, thanks so much for posting your adventure on the Noordam. I've always wanted to swim with the dolphins but always chicken out! Would love to see some pictures! Agains thanks for taking us along on your journey!

'bout me. :o At least they are in my imagination. The reality probably is that no one noticed I showed up for Immigration in my red nightgown this morning.

Yesterday we were advised that everyone needs to be seen---I.D. in hand---and that it would start with the lowest deck about 7:15. It was about ten minutes per deck, and was completed (except for the stragglers) in an hour. There were two gentle reminders, then the cabin numbers and names were announced.

We know who you are, and we know where you live. :D (evil grin). BEWARE!

The process was efficiently set up with US citizens going to the Queen's Lounge on deck 2, and non-US to the Hudson Room on deck 3. I'm finding the deck set-ups disconcerting. I am so used to the public decks being Promenade and Upper Promenade, and going down, down, down to reach my cabin. Not on the Vista's, though. On the Vista's the public decks are low, and the U.P. is a residential neighborhood. I'm always going for long rides on the elevators.

Speaking of elevators: those glass ones are nice. I can easily see the first verandas, but really no further. I can barely see the front of the second veranda, and only the rail of the third. Trust me on this one---many's the time I've pushed every veranda-deck button to get the best possible look-see. :rolleyes:

btw---the elevator doesn't like that, either. It will tend to cancel out all the requests after the first. Kids aren't gonna like that. :p

btw---the elevator doesn't like that, either. It will tend to cancel out all the requests after the first. Kids aren't gonna like that. :p
Meaning you have to remain INSIDE to push your button again? That will indeed foil the urchins who cause such a mess at the elevators. Super!

So finallly the truth comes out here...

When the Captain is not at the Helm your the one steering the vessel.. and with a push of a few buttons too...

LOL

Thats great someone finally put a delay switch in there... it is about time and thats going to correct some of the Time Delays in them ...

Thanks for your wonderful reports Maam. It makes everyone feel they are there you are vivid.:eek: :D

Ain't gonna touch this one.

I'm with Ruth on this one...

...I showed up in my polka-dotted pajamas!

:D

Shame we weren't together, Ruth - we could'a had a pajama-party for breakfast! ;)

I'm with Ruth on this one...

...I showed up in my polka-dotted pajamas!

:D

Shame we weren't together, Ruth - we could'a had a pajama-party for breakfast! ;)

Brian ... you mean you put on Pajamas to go pass through inspection??? ;)

RUTH ... you must wear that on the Zaandam cruise. You'll look stunning going through Immigration at Hilo! :D

Brian ... you mean you put on Pajamas to go pass through inspection??? ;)

RUTH ... you must wear that on the Zaandam cruise. You'll look stunning going through Immigration at Hilo! :D

As a total aside, and very sorry for butting into Ruth's thread, but why would you have to go through immigration in Hilo on the Zaandam Hawaii RT? Aren't you coming to Hawaii straight from San Diego?

As a total aside, and very sorry for butting into Ruth's thread, but why would you have to go through immigration in Hilo on the Zaandam Hawaii RT? Aren't you coming to Hawaii straight from San Diego?

LOL ... my goodness, you're right! I had forgotten about that!

EXCELLENT point.

DANG IT ... I was hoping to get to see that red nightgown in an Immigration line! :D

LOL ... my goodness, you're right! I had forgotten about that!

EXCELLENT point.

DANG IT ... I was hoping to get to see that red nightgown in an Immigration line! :D

Maybe on the return to San Diego from Ensenada?:) Sorry for my interrruption, Ruth, and thanks for all the updates from Noordam!

Rev. Neal, Thank you for the information on the bottled water. 14-days to go, papers have arrived, luggage is out, partially packed and I am fired up and ready to set sail. Will drop a line when I return. Thanks again.

Welcome to the board! And, thank you for your kind words.

I trust you will have a glorious time aboard the Noordam. She is a LOVELY ship, and a true credit to the HAL fleet. Yes, there is bottled water available aboard ship. I don't normally drink much of it since I find the water that comes out of the tap in the Lido to be perfectly fine. I bring a bottle and re-fill it there on a regular basis. But, if you want bottled water, they DO have it.

Hi Ruth,

I can't wait to read all about your trip. I was on the ship in NYC, before the inaugural sailing and could not wait to book. I am booked to go at the end of May.

I am hoping that Kory will still be in the Piano Bar. Let him know Amy, AKA "Hot Hands" says hello and to keep on practicing playing the piano with is feet! A new feature he showed off for us all, but had yet to master.

Archived