evening dress for men

delgirl

We are going on a 3 nighter to le havre on QM2. Son-in-law wants to know if he can wear smart jeans (think designer) on smart attire evenings. I said I wasn't sure as DH always wears trousers or chinos on smart casual.

16 minutes ago, delgirl said:

We are going on a 3 nighter to le havre on QM2. Son-in-law wants to know if he can wear smart jeans (think designer) on smart attire evenings. I said I wasn't sure as DH always wears trousers or chinos on smart casual.

Cunard website states collared shirt and trousers.

Smart, unripped jeans were fine last week in the Britannia restaurant. Gala night saw a shorts and t shirt wearing gent sat at the bar in the Chart Room, he was asked to remove his baseball cap though 🤦‍♂️

I broke my toe just before our trip and had to wear this really ugly boot. It looked really dumb with my smart trousers so I wore my really nice jeans and a shirt and jacket. None of the staff batted an eyelid and that was in QG. Tell him to go for it. Just wear a nice shirt and jacket. Tie optional.

5 hours ago, moses0 said:

I broke my toe just before our trip and had to wear this really ugly boot. It looked really dumb with my smart trousers so I wore my really nice jeans and a shirt and jacket. None of the staff batted an eyelid and that was in QG. Tell him to go for it. Just wear a nice shirt and jacket. Tie optional.

Or a pair of chinos and shirt and ditch the jacket and tie.

Hope the toe recovered. I had a Jones fracture a few years ago and spent two  months in a 'stormtrooper' boot to avoid surgery.

I don’t think the fact the jeans are designer has any bearing, they are jeans and as such not really suitable. Often the short cruises are part of longer ones so normal standards apply. I do a few 3 / 4 nighters as I live so close to Southampton so it’s an easy fo me. I have never noticed a relaxing of the rules on any of them. I am also on that cruise and for me will be business as normal. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I don’t think the fact the jeans are designer has any bearing, they are jeans and as such not really suitable. Often the short cruises are part of longer ones so normal standards apply. I do a few 3 / 4 nighters as I live so close to Southampton so it’s an easy fo me. I have never noticed a relaxing of the rules on any of them. I am also on that cruise and for me will be business as normal. 

Our next cruise is part of other cruises which apart from world cruise segments, will be a first for us. I will be very interested in the level of dress.

Having been on short trips on QM2, my experience is the level of dress of an evening is high as folk want to dress to the occasion.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. It looks like I will have to take him in hand. When they have gone on a cruise before he usually eats elsewhere so he doesn't have to dress up. They have never sailed Cunard before and my daughter has told him she is not eating in the buffet.😂

• Like 5