Seattle public transit?

Hi all,

Leaving from Seattle in the Carnival Spirit next month and just wondering what thoughts are on using Seattle public transit?

I'm comfortable using the light rail to get from the airport to the hotel, but we are staying in Seattle for a few days and there's not much of a time crunch there.  My bigger worry is our flight leaves at 11:50 AM on debarkation day (Delta slid up up from a 1PM departure).  

I see there's a bus stop right at the pier, and thought about taking the bus to the light rail station, then using that to head back.  Worth it, or am I asking for trouble?

The combined bus and light rail will take about 1 hour plus small wait / transfer time.  The advantage of the light rail is it is usually less traffic impacted.  If something does go sideways on the route you still have lyft / uber option.  If you have google maps on your phone you can zoom in and see the timetable all the way to the destination .  I would plan getting to airport 2 1/2 to 3 hour ahead

1 hour ago, Indytraveler83 said:

I see there's a bus stop right at the pier, and thought about taking the bus to the light rail station, then using that to head back.  Worth it, or am I asking for trouble?

The bus stop is up 2 flight of stairs to a bridge overpass - no elevator.  It's a 1/4 mile walk (about 10-12 minutes) to the stairwell to get up to the bridge to catch the bus.  It is doable, but with your tight timing, I don't recommend it.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The bus stop is up 2 flight of stairs to a bridge overpass - no elevator. It's a 1/4 mile walk (about 10-12 minutes) to the stairwell to get up to the bridge to catch the bus. It is doable, but with your tight timing, I don't recommend it.

If one is off the vessel and done with immigration and customs by 8:00 a.m., then it seems that there would be enough time. Allowing 20 minutes for that short walk (why can't Seattle provide better access, especially for people with disabilities?!), then get the no. 33 bus at, say, 8:25 a.m., and with a transfer to light rail, an airport arrival time of 9:30 a.m. Much later than 8:00 a.m. (the vessel is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 a.m.) and a faster means of travel may be advisable. Probably okay to plan on using public transit, but if delayed in getting off the vessel, then taxi/TNC as "Plan B." So more of a "maybe" than an outright "not recommended."

2 hours ago, GTJ said:

So more of a "maybe" than an outright "not recommended."

My friend, I have always wondered why, from your perch in Flushing Queens (NYC), you have interjected yourself in all things Seattle cruising.  Truth be known, I actually work at Pier 91, so I have 'boots on the ground' knowledge and insight about the area.  I did provide a video showing the actual bridge, and what the walk off the bridge would be like.  I also said while it is doable, that I personally wouldn't recommend it.  It would take more than an hour, depending on how lucky someone was to quickly catch the #33 bus, walking to the light rail station in DT Seattle, riding light rail for about 30 minutes to SeaTac, then walking the 1/4 mile thru the parking garage to the the departure terminal, and standing in a TSA line.  Sure, it is doable.  Or you could take a taxi for $55,or an Uber for about the same amount, or Seattle Express, or even an airport transfer motor coach, and have less stress, and get to SeaTac with enough time to maybe relax and have breakfast.

Life is full of choices.  Taking public transportation from Pier 91 to catch a 11:50 AM flight is not I choice I personally would make.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It would take more than an hour, depending on how lucky someone was to quickly catch the #33 bus, walking to the light rail station in DT Seattle, riding light rail for about 30 minutes to SeaTac, then walking the 1/4 mile thru the parking garage to the the departure terminal, and standing in a TSA line.

The prior message said, "The combined bus and light rail will take about 1 hour plus small wait / transfer time." Additionally, I did a random trip planner request, and from origin to destination (excluding access from the pier to the origin point, and egress from destination point to check-in counter) I received a response of 65 minutes travel time, with the bus departing the bridge at 8:25 a.m. It sounds as though you are disputing that claim that was previously made. That's fine, but the argument in that case would be that travel time is longer than that previously stated. The question of whether one wants less stress, or time to relax and have breakfast, are individual choices, not uniformly shared by everyone. For someone who lives in Michigan and has to rely on DDOT everyday, it might be that Seattle Metro would be relatively relaxing! Thus, I think the correct answer is "maybe." It depends.

As to your curiosity, I note that a friend and colleague of mine was previously general manager of King County Metro Transit, and I have personally used the service for which he was responsible many times. I can even recall some of my first rides on Seattle Metro in the late 1970s, when it was an early adopter of articulated coaches (MAN, I recall). Another friend and colleague of mine just recently left his post as chief operating officer for Community Transit. I will also note my now-deceased (18 months) friend and colleague who was based in Washington State and publisher of the professional journal BUSRide, and with whom I have had several discussions of Seattle bus service. Most of my relevant professional involvement today relates primarily to Alaska and Canada surface transportation, but also involves Seattle tangentially as it is just over the border from Vancouver, and so I keep up to speed on Vancouver-to-Seattle transportation and other transportation just over the border on the American side. I publish on the subject regularly. While New York City is the center of this industry, and more people are located here than any other place in the United States and Canada, those of us who are employed in it do keep on top of happenings in other parts.

Thank you all for the responses.  A bit of follow up:

Since my flight is before noon, Carnival won't let me book a transfer anymore (that was the original plan when it was a 1 PM flight).

I've struggled with Uber/Lyft in time crunches in the past and have horrific luck with taxi's overall.  I've also heard that tolls and fees are crazy on these options in Seattle.

Seattle Express- this sounds like a good, affordable option.  Are they right at the pier when the ship arrives?  Does anyone have experience using them in a time crunch like mine?

On 7/18/2023 at 5:52 AM, Indytraveler83 said:

Since my flight is before noon, Carnival won't let me book a transfer anymore (that was the original plan when it was a 1 PM flight).

At least on Carnival days, there is a kiosk in the Grand Hall  that a pier-side staffer sells airport transfer tickets. (Located just after you pick up you luggage and go thru passport control, but before you walk outside)

I've struggled with Uber/Lyft in time crunches in the past and have horrific luck with taxi's overall.  I've also heard that tolls and fees are crazy on these options in Seattle.

Ubers and Lyft passenger pick-up is about a 10 minute walk, although there is a shuttle that holds about 14 passengers.  Often times it is faster to walk than wait for the shuttle.  Taxis are available along the right side of the driveway area in front of the terminal.  The only toll that would impact you is if the driver opted to skip driving on I-5 and go the back way to SeaTac which uses the Alaska Way tunnel, which usually isn't necessary.

Seattle Express- this sounds like a good, affordable option.  Are they right at the pier when the ship arrives?  Does anyone have experience using them in a time crunch like mine?

Lots of folks have had very good things to say about Shuttle Express.  often times they will have 2 shuttles on site in the early mornings, they 'check off' the passengers then leave for SeaTac, adding more shuttle buses as the morning goes on.  If you go this route, be sure to pre-book.  Shuttle Express can be found at the far end of the bus lane (right-side) at parking slot R and/or S.

Photo of taxis lined up at Pier 91 on a Carnival Spirit day.

PXL_20230718_154207023.jpg

PXL_20230718_172134222.jpg

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1