Cruise drinks

Cruiseguy14

27 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Can't go wrong with a Beefeater or Tanqueray martini.

I'm a vodka martini kind of guy!  Tried a gin martini on my last cruise and I wasn't impressed!  You should try a Celebrity cruise!  They have a martini bar on some of their ships that is outstanding!

I've never had a Moscow Mule.  I want to try that!  I also intend to try a "smoked" bourbon old fashioned!  Also, no cruise will be complete without a Louis XIII cognac!

Elvis

11 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

I'm a vodka martini kind of guy!  Tried a gin martini on my last cruise and I wasn't impressed!  You should try a Celebrity cruise!  They have a martini bar on some of their ships that is outstanding!

I've never had a Moscow Mule.  I want to try that!  I also intend to try a "smoked" bourbon old fashioned! 

I'm paleo and don't drink any sweet drinks, but if they had diet ginger ale (which they never do) I might try a gin mule since I've always liked the taste of ginger.

Sorry but in my book there is only one type of martini - gin. All the posers needs to get their own name.

Edited by MacGuffin3

1 minute ago, MacGuffin3 said:

I'm paleo and don't drink any sweet drinks, but if they had diet ginger ale I might try a gin mule since I've always liked the taste of ginger.

Sorry but in my book there is only one type of martini - gin. Everything else needs to get their own name.

In my opinion there is only one drink that should be called a martini and that's a gin martini!  I can understand a vodka martini.  James Bond drinks that and you can't argue with him!  I'll never understand any other drink that is called a martini, like coffee martini or a chocolate martini!  As far as I'm concerned, they are all abominations!!!!  Enjoy your cruise!

Elvis

6 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

James Bond drinks that and you can't argue with him!

Yes, I tolerate the name "Vodka Martini" because it's the same drink with only a change in the type of booze, the name "Vodkatini" sounds silly and nobody's come up with a good original name yet.
But calling any drink with Kahlua, Absinthe, or who knows what else in it a "monkey's fart martini" just because of the glass it's served in is an obnoxious trend.
What is the most annoying though is when you order a martini and an ignorant bartender asks "Vodka or Gin?"  I always want to say, "If I want a vodka martini I'll ask for it."

15 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

just because of the glass it's served in is an obnoxious trend.

I will say the martini glass is an abomination of design. Who ever designed it must have been drinking too many martinis. Or maybe it was a perfect design for a bar owner who decided it was a great idea to make it so it spills half it's contents with only a small movement. If it's not filled to the top by the power of exponentiation you can save a large percentage of alcohol, and if you do fill it to the top it is likely to be spilled and a new one bought sooner.

I had an espresso martini for the first time last cruise, and loved it. After the first I had subsequent ones placed in a non-martini glass.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Grimix said:

I will say the martini glass is an abomination of design. Who ever designed it must have been drinking too many martinis. Or maybe it was a perfect design for a bar owner who decided it was a great idea to make it so it spills half it's contents with only a small movement. If it's not filled to the top by the power of exponentiation you can save a large percentage of alcohol, and if you do fill it to the top it is likely to be spilled and a new one bought sooner.

I had an espresso martini for the first time last cruise, and loved it. After the first I had subsequent ones placed in a non-martini glass.

I have never, ever understood martini glasses! Ever! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grimix said:

Who ever designed it must have been drinking too many martinis.

Blame the French.  It had a long stem so you could keep your fingers far from the drink to prevent warming it up, and lots of open surface area on the top to better release the gin's bouquet.
Just drink the top half quickly and that should solve the spilling issue.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MacGuffin3 said:

Blame the French.  It had a long stem so you could keep your fingers far from the drink to prevent warming it up, and lots of open surface area on the top to better release the gin's bouquet.

I blame the French for lots of things (including me as my mother is a mostly 100% french canadian, I blame the Canadians for the rest. I kid! I kid!)

Looks like the Mexicans improved on the French design. The margarita glass has many of the same features (large exposed surface area, stemmed design), but got rid of the horrific conical top and is able to better hold in the liquid. Granted they are typically made with a thicker glass, but we could refine the design some more a thinner rim if desired.

Edited by Grimix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I have never, ever understood martini glasses! Ever! 

They're great for bar and restaurant owners. Not only are they prone to spilling (especially with a stem...I am notorious for knocking over stemmed glasses), but a martini glass only holds a couple of ounces. So they get to charge outrageous prices for a tiny drink in a fancy glass. I cringe every time Mrs. Schmoopie orders a Cosmo, knowing that she'll need another after just a couple of sips.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

They're great for bar and restaurant owners. Not only are they prone to spilling (especially with a stem...I am notorious for knocking over stemmed glasses), but a martini glass only holds a couple of ounces. So they get to charge outrageous prices for a tiny drink in a fancy glass. I cringe every time Mrs. Schmoopie orders a Cosmo, knowing that she'll need another after just a couple of sips.

I researched the issue (i.e. googled) and there seems to be many who feel the same. Apparently a common glass substitution is the Coupe. It also sounds french, and looks somewhat similar to a Margarita glass, just with the thinner rim. I may have to ask for the Espresso Martini in a Coupe so I can sound bougie on my next cruise.

39 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

probably too fruity for you manly men!

Yep I'll pass, sounds like it is an ounce of vodka hiding somewhere in passionfruit and orange juice.

If I really feel I need to slow down on the Martinis while on board I'll probably break it up with a Gin Rickey from time to time.