Portland Port/British Isle Cruises

CarlaMarie

In light of the news that the barge has arrived at Portland Port, does anyone know if the next cruise calls will definitely be going ahead? Princess cruises have already cancelled one of their visits, but haven't heard if other lines are pulling out as well.

2 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

In light of the news that the barge has arrived at Portland Port, does anyone know if the next cruise calls will definitely be going ahead? Princess cruises have already cancelled one of their visits, but haven't heard if other lines are pulling out as well.

Dawn docked a couple of days after Princess cried off due to protests.

There were 1/2 dozen at the port gate waiving banners, delayed the transfer coach 5 seconds as it had to slow down.

They were gone later in the day on return part time protest.

There is no need to cancel ships yet.

IMG_20230711_103216.thumb.jpg.c2eb4af8ea62af13ca0eaad3ce630caf.jpg

The difference now is that the barge arrived this morning.

500 male illegal immigrants will be arriving from next week. They will get free transport into Weymouth and the surrounding Portland area, and can then walk freely and do as they please. 

Passenger safety is paramount, and I am sure the cruise line will be watching this very closely.

Edited by CarlaMarie

Just now, CarlaMarie said:

The difference now though, is that the barge arrived this morning.

500 male illegal immigrants will be arriving from next week, who will get free transport into Weymouth and the surrounding Portland area, and whom can then walk freely. 

Passenger safety is paramount, and I am sure the cruise line will be watching this very closely. 

It's going to a while before there are significant numbers 

Are they all criminals that will be mugging cruise passengers and the regular tourist to the busy seaside town.

Many cruise passengers go on tours as it the base for Winchester, Stonehenge and bath shorex.

I doubt they actually know what background they have and even their real names and ages. You can only do so much vetting without any documents and paperwork. 

I fully understand that many tours leave from the port, however they have the shuttle going back and forth into Weymouth all day. So passengers would remain in the local area. 

The cruise line has a duty of care to its passengers. Passengers and the cruise line itself agreed to go to Portland before the situation changed, a decision from what I understand was made by Portland Port alone. NCL may clarify where they stand soon. 

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Dawn docked a couple of days after Princess cried off due to protests.

There were 1/2 dozen at the port gate waiving banners, delayed the transfer coach 5 seconds as it had to slow down.

They were gone later in the day on return part time protest.

There is no need to cancel ships yet.

IMG_20230711_103216.thumb.jpg.c2eb4af8ea62af13ca0eaad3ce630caf.jpg

Looks like a NCL CC meet and greet.

• Haha 1

The asylum seekers being moved to this barge have been in the UK for many months and it is reported that they are well into their asylum claims. They are therefore reasonably well known to the UK authorities and are approaching decision time.

Apparently they will undergo 'suitability screening' before being moved to this barge.

The purpose of leaving the barge and going into the nearby town is mainly to take part in approved activities. 

Any asylum seeker in the latter stages of an application that they hope will be successful would be very well advised not to go around harassing cruise passengers and making trouble.

Clearly there is plenty of debate about the broader rights and wrongs of housing asylum seekers in that type of facility and at that particular location, but it may well be some time before we find out whether fears of the local area being overwhelmed are well founded, and I think that cancelling cruise stops sounds premature to me.

Will cruise lines cancel cruise stops to Naples? My hairdresser was recently robbed at gunpoint while on holiday there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weymouth is already a relatively high crime area in Dorset.

On what grounds should cruise ships pull out. 

Speculative Fear is not enough

The promise of increased funds for extra police may make the town safer than it is now.

1 hour ago, Norwayfan1 said:

The asylum seekers being moved to this barge have been in the UK for many months and it is reported that they are well into their asylum claims. They are therefore reasonably well known to the UK authorities and are approaching decision time.

Apparently they will undergo 'suitability screening' before being moved to this barge.

The purpose of leaving the barge and going into the nearby town is mainly to take part in approved activities. 

Any asylum seeker in the latter stages of an application that they hope will be successful would be very well advised not to go around harassing cruise passengers and making trouble.

Clearly there is plenty of debate about the broader rights and wrongs of housing asylum seekers in that type of facility and at that particular location, but it may well be some time before we find out whether fears of the local area being overwhelmed are well founded, and I think that cancelling cruise stops sounds premature to me.

Will cruise lines cancel cruise stops to Naples? My hairdresser was recently robbed at gunpoint while on holiday there.

We already know what is happening in other areas of the country, especially in Skegness for example. I truly hope that there are no issues, however this appears to have been put on the community without any warning and everyone is scrambling to get things in place in time for the arrivals. 

Just to add, the purpose of going off may be to do activities but this is not the sole reason. They are free to come and go as they wish, and if they are not back on by 11pm then they will get a welfare phone call to check that they are ok. 

I agree, I think time will time. This season may not be affected as much, but next cruise season may be different altogether. 

39 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

We already know what is happening in other areas of the country, especially in Skegness for example. I truly hope that there are no issues, however this appears to have been put on the community without any warning and everyone is scrambling to get things in place in time for the arrivals. 

Just to add, the purpose of going off may be to do activities but this is not the sole reason. They are free to come and go as they wish, and if they are not back on by 11pm then they will get a welfare phone call to check that they are ok. 

I agree, I think time will time. This season may not be affected as much, but next cruise season may be different altogether. 

What's happening in Skegness.

Better stop using Southampton as well that has a significant numbers and even shut a popular cruise hotel Mercure Dolphin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Portland have spent a lot of money on improvement to the facilities including a new deep water berth.

Good for the local economy?

https://www.portland-port.co.uk/news/112/Counting+The+Cost+of+Cancellation

Yes they have spent £26 million on a new deep water berth to accommodate more cruise ships, which is great for the local economy. The port, the port workers, shops, coach firms, attractions, tour groups, local music groups for sailaways etc.... all benefit from cruise calls. When you look at everyone involved it takes alot of the local community to make cruise calls happen, and for passengers to feel welcomed at a port. 

As for the news article regarding the cruise call cancellation - Portland Port is privately owned. The owners did the deal with the Home Office to berth the migrant barge without consulting or informing the local council, their member of parliament or community. A decision made long after they had began extending the berth, and long after agreeing a cruise calendar not only for this year but next year also. 

Even though they will be paid considerably for doing so, they should have taken into consideration what affect this potentially could have on the Cruise industry, the local economy in general and also the feelings of the very people who make it happen. Especially considering that cruise calls probably account for the largest proportion of the ports income.