HELP- FCC vs 20% discount for cancelled NCL cruise

debbiebak

Please could someone in the know help me understand NCL's policy.

My cruise on the Norwegian Epic Mediterranean March 2024 was cancelled. We did not get our deposit back ($250) as NCL said they will give us it back as a FCC voucher called "CruiseNext"- They also offered a further 20% off European future cruises up until April 2024.

Now we want to go on a Cruise similar to the one cancelled by NCL leaving Tel Aviv/Haifa November 20 2023- However we cannot use the FCC and the 20% together!! Why??? We cannot use the 20% discount voucher as apparently this is an Asian cruise and not a European Cruise. Getting rather frustrated and feeling that NCL do not care. Surely we should get out deposit back. Is there someone out there who can help? 

Edited by debbiebak

I would give up to tell the truth, they have wiggled and raised prices so much that you just have to realize the house always wins!

We had our cruise cancelled too and after looking around at the prices have kind of decided to  pause our cruising  and see if prices go down or not.  We are taking a  7 day trip to Portugal  for less than 2K (with airfare) with t does not include as many meals as a cruise would but I can pretty much be assured that the quality of the food will be higher  🙂

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, debbiebak said:

My cruise on the Norwegian Epic Mediterranean March 2024 was cancelled. We did not get our deposit back ($250) as NCL said they will give us it back as a FCC voucher called "CruiseNext"- They also offered a further 20% off European future cruises up until April 2024.

Now we want to go on a Cruise similar to the one cancelled by NCL leaving Tel Aviv/Haifa November 20 2023- However we cannot use the FCC and the 20% together!! Why??? We cannot use the 20% discount voucher as apparently this is an Asian cruise and not a European Cruise. Getting rather frustrated and feeling that NCL do not care. Surely we should get out deposit back. Is there someone out there who can help? 

For cruises purchased in the US, your deposit goes back to the original form of payment. It sounds like you originally paid your deposit with a FCC, so the deposit was returned to a FCC. 

It does not sound like the combination of the FCC and 20% off is an issue. However, the 20% off depends on the terms of the certificate. And it does not sound like the cruise you picked matches the terms and conditions of the certificate. You could ask to escalate to a supervisor and explain that you are trying to rebook after NCL's cancellation, but don't get your hopes up. 

The cruise line owes you nothing. It was and offer of  good will to offer you a discount on a similar future cruise. In the past, we have been cancelled that far out with no compensation. 

• Like 1

I used the 20% off on my next Europe cruise in Oct.  Since it's no longer in my account for me to look at the terms, my guess is your cruise itinerary doesn't meet those terms.

Call NCL Customer Service and ask them.

Some cheap Europe cruises this year.

Normally you can use a cruise next and a discount voucher.

Why not a cash refund for the deposit (did you use a CN?)

That epic Nov cruise filters as a med cruise Try an online booking to see if your voucher works as a payment option.

7 hours ago, debbiebak said:

You answered your own question. NCL doesn't care. 

Try working with multiple phone agents. It's possible one of them can use both together. Not likely, but possible. My husband's PCC (I don't deal with them at all) was able to get us a couple coupons that weren't supposed to work together. It's all about finding that agent who knows the system and what is/isn't possible. 

Good luck! 

BTW - how did you pay your deposit? 

They are very picky about applying that 20% FCC to a European cruise.  If your cruise is not listed as a European cruise on their menu but an Asian one, then the 20% can’t be applied.  I tried to apply mine to a TA cruise starting in Europe with 3 European ports but they would not allow that since it’s technically listed as a transatlantic cruise.  I even appealed to Katty Byrd and was denied.

Yea, still trying to wrap my head around NCL logic - or rather lack thereof.

When they cancelled most of the Spirit cruises, they offered 20% on any remaining Spirit cruise, thru April 2024. Plus 10% on any  other cruise, thru 2024.

Later, when they cancelled 2 more of the remaining Spirit cruises (Dec 2024) the offer changed to 20% off on the Jewel, through February 2024.  Huh???

So a different ship, totally different itinerary and a shorter timeframe.  And they said they couldn't change the terms because that wouldn't be fair!!!!  Apparently their thought was that the Jewel goes to Asia so an equivalent choice - my cruise was to Australia, ending in Bali. Jewel doesn't go to Australia.

Not very optimistic that they will change their ruling - so if anyone finds a path to appeal a denial from Katy Byrd, please share!

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Try working with multiple phone agents. It's possible one of them can use both together. Not likely, but possible. My husband's PCC (I don't deal with them at all) was able to get us a couple coupons that weren't supposed to work together. It's all about finding that agent who knows the system and what is/isn't possible. 

Good luck! 

BTW - how did you pay your deposit? We paid by credit card $250 and receuved a $500 credit from NCL- Just want to get the $250 back

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Good luck! 

BTW - how did you pay your deposit? 

6 hours ago, debbiebak said:

That's interesting. If you really want your money back, you should do a chargeback with your credit card. There's a possibility NCL will put you on a blacklist so you're unable to cruise with them in the future. But if it's more about the money/principle, then might be worth it. Or send emails. Here's a website with contact information, and Elliott Report may help you if you reach out to them. 

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

That's interesting. If you really want your money back, you should do a chargeback with your credit card. There's a possibility NCL will put you on a blacklist so you're unable to cruise with them in the future. But if it's more about the money/principle, then might be worth it. Or send emails. Here's a website with contact information, and Elliott Report may help you if you reach out to them. 

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

OP hasn't responded so it's difficult to know the true issue.  If they did indeed use a CruiseNext certificate then that is non-refundable, per the terms of purchase.  If they used cash and NCL gave them a CN refund (which they have done to me in the past) then yes, they can and should request a cash refund from NCL.

As to using the CN with the 20% discount, that shouldn't be an issue.  But they can only use the discount on the specified cruises.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

OP hasn't responded so it's difficult to know the true issue.  If they did indeed use a CruiseNext certificate then that is non-refundable, per the terms of purchase.  If they used cash and NCL gave them a CN refund (which they have done to me in the past) then yes, they can and should request a cash refund from NCL.

As to using the CN with the 20% discount, that shouldn't be an issue.  But they can only use the discount on the specified cruises.

They did respond, just inside one of the posts quoted of mine. Here's a screenshot where I highlighted their comment:

image.png.838a9d099c05eb5a40684abfb105474d.png

I'm just surprised NCL provided a CruiseNext, rather than a refund. I noticed OP is from Israel, so there could be different terms. I'm certainly not a worldwide expert on refunds/credits/etc. 

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

They did respond, just inside one of the posts quoted of mine. Here's a screenshot where I highlighted their comment:

image.png.838a9d099c05eb5a40684abfb105474d.png

I'm just surprised NCL provided a CruiseNext, rather than a refund. I noticed OP is from Israel, so there could be different terms. I'm certainly not a worldwide expert on refunds/credits/etc. 

Well that does explain the issue.  Maybe the terms are different but it appears that they bought something equivalent to CruiseFirst and those are not refundable in the US anyway.  But they can be sold online.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Well that does explain the issue.  Maybe the terms are different but it appears that they bought something equivalent to CruiseFirst and those are not refundable in the US anyway.  But they can be sold online.

Oh! You read that totally different than I. Your interpretation is likely correct. Yep, secondhand market for sure if they would like their money back. Thanks for reading that in an educated way (unlike moi).

Thank you to everyone who responded to my cry for help. I have spent most of today on the phone with representatives of NCL in the UK call center. I managed to get some clarity regarding the use of both the FCC voucher( which was originally our deposit) as well as the use of the 20% discount  -

However, my husband and I have decided not to go on a NCL cruise EVER. We believe that if the Customer Experience off shore is so bad, we don't want to take a chance and be captive on a cruise with the same type of bad customer service. 

We are hoping to get back our original $250 deposit via our Travel Agent who booked us. Wish us luck.  

I had a similar situation. It turned out that because a specific promotion was running, specifically the CruiseFirst promotion, it did not entitle me to a refund. Very shady if you ask me. I did mine over the phone, and I was originally only told that NCL would "match" my $250 deposit. I only learned of CruiseFirst once I needed to cancel, and I was advised that even though I was nowhere near the payment in full deadline, I would not receive a refund.. but hey, I can go ahead and use it on another cruise down the road. SMH: The downside is they advised me I could not use the CF with any other promotion or something of the sort.

Edited by Belletora

21 minutes ago, debbiebak said:

However, my husband and I have decided not to go on a NCL cruise EVER. We believe that if the Customer Experience off shore is so bad, we don't want to take a chance and be captive on a cruise with the same type of bad customer service. 

We are hoping to get back our original $250 deposit via our Travel Agent who booked us. Wish us luck.  

If by bad you just mean you didn't get what you wanted, you should realize that a customer service rep doesn't have the authority to violate company policy, either by refunding something that is non-refundable or by following the terms of the discount you were given.  Also, realize that if you booked through a TA, your TA owns your reservation and it is NCL's policy to refer you back to the TA since they aren't involved in the booking transaction.

I have found that most of the time the onboard crew is quite good.  Whether you knew it or not, you basically bought a gift certificate and that is not refundable - and your beef would be with your TA if you were mislead.  However, your TA could buy it from you - and then transfer it to another client along the way, it is good for 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1